PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a prop issues in 3D Max

deano
04-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi there guys, i'm working on a simple animation that requires a character to use a prop i.e. a hammer and bang a nail into some wood. I'm working in Character studio in 3D Max v6 which is what the VFX studio has over here. The problem is I can't seem to get the hammer to bind to the hand properly and follow its motion. Have tried to include the default prop in the structural layout of the character but it too doesn't seem to be attached to the hand. Am totally confused and running out of time. Would really appreciate any ideas to bail me out. Thanks!

Cheers,

Deano

jammin
04-20-2006, 06:36 PM
there may be a better way, but i'd try animation>constraints>attachment constraint, and then attach the hammer to part of the biped (the palm, say).

Illusion-shadow
04-21-2006, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't do that, I think a hard link from the hammer to the hand should be the best way. May be you can zero out your hammer before linking it. If that still doesn't work, try to link the hammer to a dummy helper (align the dummy helper to the hammer first) then link the hammer to the hand. That should work.

deano
04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the help. Was in bed for a couple of days with a severe stomach infection so I was able to go through some additional help files. Solved the mystery and it's quite interesting:

Select the right hand.
On the Motion panel > Key Info rollout, expand the IK bar.
Click Select IK Object, and click the hammer.
Choose the Object option just above the Select IK Object button.
Change IK Blend to 1.0.
Play the animation and the hand follows the hammer.
This is really cool as you can make the hammer lead the hand and also controlling the IK blend and setting it to zero releases the hammer's effect over the hand, such that it can be set free!:bounce:

Cheers,

Deano.

PS: I'm alright now. Fruits are the best! LOL.

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.