PDA

View Full Version : fR2 C4D/Mac version

nycL45
04-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Has anyone heard anything? Cebas is not responding. We are overdo with an update and nothing. The blog site is a zip – last post, 3 April '06 and nothing about the C4D/Mac v.

Silence is not golden when companies make a commitment and renege.

Post what you know.

AdamT
04-20-2006, 02:23 PM
All's I've heard is that it's currently their number one priority. I get the impression they took time away from it to finish the update to the Max plugin, which was released a few days ago.

Too bad about the communication problem, though. Cebas really earned themselves a bad reputation with fR-Stage0 - 1, but they seemed to have gotten their act together with Stage-2. Doesn't seem that way anymore.

ooo
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
I stepped out of this experiment a few months ago, but I'm sill interested. So I am curious to know if anybody is using FR2-Win already for production? Is it working as promised, fitting into your workflow and worth the wait (for Mac)?

odo

nycL45
04-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I get the impression they took time away from it to finish the update to the Max plugin, which was released a few days ago.

Edwin, if this is the case, we do not mind your need to digress to Max. Just let us know about it and that you will be back on the Mac v. asap.

Ernest Burden
04-20-2006, 07:49 PM
using FR2-Win already for production?

Yes and no. It works, its wonderful. But it has a few bugs which slow me down too much to really be able to use it, meaning I discover a bug just as I'm preparing to render finals, then have to render with AR2.5.

fr2 is a lot faster than AR, produces better-looking GI (especially architectural, my field) and is a lot more fun to watch. But fr2 is not very stable, especially unstable on the distributed bucket nodes.

So it's 'almost there', but not as usable as I had hoped, yet.

AdamT
04-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Yes and no. It works, its wonderful. But it has a few bugs which slow me down too much to really be able to use it, meaning I discover a bug just as I'm preparing to render finals, then have to render with AR2.5.

fr2 is a lot faster than AR, produces better-looking GI (especially architectural, my field) and is a lot more fun to watch. But fr2 is not very stable, especially unstable on the distributed bucket nodes.

So it's 'almost there', but not as usable as I had hoped, yet.
That more or less mirrors my experience, except that I haven't had stability problems with buckets--maybe because I'm not giving it such demanding scenes so far. But like Ernest, there often seems to be some damned thing that makes say "the hell with it" and go back to AR.

ooo
04-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys!
I was already a bit afraid for this. Wouldn't it be wiser for Cebas to sort out these issues first before even porting it to Mac? I hope they take these problems serious, because featurewise it's absolutely amazing. I might jump in again if everything runs smooth :)

odo

Ernest Burden
04-20-2006, 08:39 PM

ARGH!!! Case in point--I just took a few minutes to do a test to figure out why alphas aren't working in fr2 in my current project. I've discovered that fr2 cannot render alphas if you use an image that does NOT have an alpha channel. However, 9.52 has a bug where it will overwrite alphas when you 'save as project' and turn them white. So to get around the Cinema bug I used images, but fr2 needs alphas. Deadline looming.

AdamT
04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
One thing you might do as a workaround is collect all your image-alpha bitmaps and, after you save the project, drag them into the project tex folder to overwrite them with the original files.

Ernest Burden
04-20-2006, 10:19 PM
One thing you might do as a workaround is collect all your image-alpha bitmaps and, after you save the project, drag them into the project tex folder to overwrite them with the original files.

Thanks, I don't have that many maps yet...I'm just afraid I'll miss one and have a render disaster.

Fluffy says its not a problem for him, so he's going to look at a file I sent.

But even if the alpha thing is OK or I work around it, there's still the noise scale problem. Most of my mats use noise. I can't imaging re-doing all of them just as I'm running out of time and the client is calling to keep up pressure. I'll be melted enough without file scares formating for fr2.

AdamT
04-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, and then there's the material selection bug which is a killer too. Cebas is about 95% home, but you just can't kick back on the couch with a beer until you travel that last 5%.

nycL45
04-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah, and then there's the material selection bug which is a killer too. Cebas is about 95% home, but you just can't kick back on the couch with a beer until you travel that last 5%.

Still looking for the first 5% here.

chris_b
04-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Must say that I totally agree. I had very high hopes for FinalRender in C4D, and although they did an amazing job, a number of small but critical bugs have prevented me from using
it for any critical paying work. The product has huge potential though, certainly very close to Vray functionality in most areas and I really hope that development speeds up a bit... or at least continues on some level.

rsquires
04-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Where on earth is Final Render for us mac users. I looked at my receipt today and it's dated 17th August 2005. Not to say I have paid as yet, but I reckon it will be a year before I see this!

crazy

regards

rich

Edwin Braun
04-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Hello community,

here is a short update of what is going on. I'm really sorry for not positing earlier but right now we are having a huge overload of things to do (including the MAC ports).

We are continually working hard to develop Stage-2 for MAC. As one poster has noted, it is important to iron out any issues on the windows side first which we have been quick to do. We have already put out one service pack since the first release, to address many issues with C4d build compatibility and other fixes.
Now we are looking at the implications of intel on MAC and other porting issues. As another poster stated, we do not charge our users until the product ships and any preorders insure you get a highly discounted price when we do.

Thanks
Your cebas team

rsquires
05-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Just got an e-mail from cebas saying that Service pack 3 was available. I assume this is for c4d but I haven't even got 1 yet as I am on a mac, and it hasn't been ported yet! They really should get their database sorted out. Most annoying really. It would be nice to hear the latest news. Seems like Final Render for mac is still no where near finished

regards

rich

AdamT
05-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I guess they skipped over SP-2?

EDIT: note, this is a service pack for fR-1, not fR-2. No idea why their sending these e-mails to fR-2 owners.

rsquires
05-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Funnier still. I don't even have Final Render yet. I pre ordered it back in 2005 but as yet not a dickie bird

regards

rich

rsquires
06-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Just thought I'd bump this thread to see if there is any news from Cebas regarding FR2 for Mac. I am not even bothering to download the Maxwell demo, but I'd give my eye teeth to play around with FR2. It's almost a year now since I ordered it!

regards

rich

osxman
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
My fear is that (a "windows-verision-buggy") FR2 for Mac will be released a couple of days before Maxon announce (the speculative) AR 3 with majorGI & Caustics speed/quality enhancements and REAL/GOOD DOF and MB (well an FR2-"killer"), effectively turning my pre-order into a negative number in my budget.

That would just KILL me! :cry:

So I hope that either:
1.Maxon announces AR3 before FR2/Mac is released (within a couple of weeks – fat chance… :p)
or
2. FR2 is released, (within a couple of weeks :p ) completely free of bugs, with lots of good documentation/tutorials and a library of FR-materials for noobs like me – and AR3 turns out be a distant dream not released for another 1-2 years.

Well I guess all this speculation doesn't do me any good at all, so back to work…

jackb602
06-14-2006, 08:21 PM
In late April, Edwin announced that he did not think there would be a release of a Mac version within the next two months. Communication from Cebas has been minimal for a long time now, which led me to cancel my preorder recently. If/when Cebas releases an OS X version of finalRender that performs as advertised, I'll be happy to pay the full price.

For now, I'm very curious to see what Maxon has in store for us at SIGGRAPH. With an improved GI system (and a few other improvements) in AR, I would have much less incentive to invest time and money in 3rd party renderers.

seco7
06-15-2006, 01:19 AM
For now, I'm very curious to see what Maxon has in store for us at SIGGRAPH. With an improved GI system (and a few other improvements) in AR, I would have much less incentive to invest time and money in 3rd party renderers.

I just realized that SIGGRAPH is only 6 weeks away! I don't remember, does Maxon usually use SIGGRAPH to roll out the years big release? :scream:

osxman
06-15-2006, 06:03 AM
I just realized that SIGGRAPH is only 6 weeks away! I don't remember, does Maxon usually use SIGGRAPH to roll out the years big release? :scream:
Oh nooo, and Yes!

I'm pretty sure they at least announced 9.5 at Siggraph last year…

I'm being tossed between my worst fear and happy thoughts! :banghead: :bounce:

Of course, with a better budget this wouldn't be such an issue. I can afford to wait (within reason) but not for a product at the buggy level that the windows version has had for way to long a time, since that would force me to spend even more money updating AR (if it steps up to the plate).

I really wish Edwin could step out and give us a status report and a guesstimate. Edwin Pleeease!

osxman
06-15-2006, 06:13 AM
Sorry for double posting! :blush:

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2006, 06:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.