PDA

View Full Version : Is 2.42 leaking in or what?

Joat
04-20-2006, 07:55 AM
I've been noticing a dramatic improvement on the quality of work produced with Blender recently. Makes me wonder if it's because people take advantage of new and upcoming features.
So, how many of you use CVS version already? And how much does the Node editor help in producing quality texturing? What other upcoming tools is there that you find really helpful when trying to produce quality work?

I honestly think it's only a matter of days before we see a Blender-produced piece on the frontpage of Cgtalk. There is already a couple of good candidates in finished work section.
Go, all of you! =)

Milky
04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Well I dunno, maybe people just are growing as artists. ;)

What's the node editor? :eek:

Yeah, hopefully Elephant's Dream on frontpage then.. :) Seriously it's gonna be amazing.

shadowman99
04-21-2006, 02:44 AM
I've been noticing a dramatic improvement on the quality of work produced with Blender recently. Makes me wonder if it's because people take advantage of new and upcoming features.
So, how many of you use CVS version already? And how much does the Node editor help in producing quality texturing? What other upcoming tools is there that you find really helpful when trying to produce quality work?

I'll play with the CVS to get a feel for what's on the way, but I never save changes to my work because CVS builds aren't gaurenteed to be stable and may corrupt files.

Having said that, the Orange version of Blender is amazing and I'm looking forward to having the new features from that branch.

Apoclypse
04-21-2006, 06:59 AM
The node editor is really great. It even has feature which I think should be implemented in some commercial packages (xsi) which is it allows you to group nodes into one big node wih outputs and everything, its great. I'm not explaining it very well but it basically works like a combinator in reason. The compositor nodes are pretty cool too, but there aren't many nodes for it yet. I really havne't messed around with to much,

Joat
04-21-2006, 07:38 AM
For what I know, the nodesystem is the best thing since sliced bread. It has almost got me to download orange build and try it out. Despite my decision to stick with the official releases and concentrate on learning the modelling and new features as they are introduced.
The point in the original post was not so much to gain understanding on the new and upcoming features, but to try and find reasons why work produced with Blender (and presented at cgtalk or blender3d.org) has improved so dramatically lately.
I see the nodesystem as "modular synthesizer of materials". If one understands the principles and is capable of creative thinking, one can achieve results not possible otherwise. On the other hand, just trying out crazy things at random can produce outstanding results.
It will have an impact on the materials in blender-made projects. Is it going to be significant remains to be seen. In my opinion there is only very little blenderwork out there taking full advantage of the old materialsystem. Maybe Nodes make people experiment more.

Apoclypse
04-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Well the way they work aren't all that different than the current system but its so much easier to visualize what you are doing using ta node based system. Its simpler than sya xsi and maya's system since there isn't seperate nodes for everything. Just two or three nodes are provided and then you just layer all your materials to create whatever effect you are trying to use. I think they should adapt something more like xsi with plenty of nodes for things but the current system actually wroks pretty well too. You just have to go through a few extra steps.

Milky
04-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Anyway can anyone tell me what the node-editor is?

RedSquirrel
04-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Well the node editor, basically allows you to add and blend more than one material to an object (currently blender only allows one material per object), which means you could have a Toon specular shader with a Blinn specular shader on the same object, all and all it really opens a limitless ability to produce amazing surfaces and texture combinations. It also can get very complicated and confusing.

To be honest I one of those users that would rather wait till 2.42 is released before I start learning the node editor, I've played with it a little but its one of those things that you really need to know the theory behind before you can get any decent results .

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2006, 12:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.