PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to this... (nudity)

Salubri3i
04-20-2006, 02:20 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/april20-06.jpg
I'm new to digital painting. There are so many great artists here and I feel so small. I am so inspired by their works though. :thumbsup: especially by linda's. :love:

Here's something I'm working on. Critiques are very welcome. :bounce:

offbeatworlds
04-20-2006, 01:06 PM
LOL, who isn't inspired by Linda?

This looks really good. Is this your first digital painting ever? I think your only problem is your blending and your use of color. Don't be afraid to use bolder more saturated tones, especially in shading skin. Also contrast will really help define your shapes and separate things, like the hands on the feet. Your anatomy looks really good. The hair could use a little work, don't over detail it. Actually, if you go to Linda's website and check out her "Thoughts on Smooth Blending" and "Hair" tutorials, they could really spice up this picture. Very good so far though, keep it up!

Salubri3i
04-21-2006, 12:39 AM
thanks for the advice. i will certainly keep it in mind the next time i do another figure painting. you're right. my skintones look too pale and chalky. :sad:

i was actually reading linda's hair tutorial while i did the hair for this one. unfortunately i could not avoid the pitfalls she mentioned as my OC' ness kept kicking in. :D
oh and yep. this is my first somewhat official digital painting. i have lots of doodles. :bounce:

Salubri3i
04-21-2006, 01:02 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/mountains%20of%20mist2.jpg

I made the silly mistake of using the wrong brushes for the foreground. I definitely lack sleep. lolz.

mental note to self: "make custom brushes!"

Salubri3i
04-22-2006, 01:36 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/sketch-2-3.jpg

I tried putting up a background for this one. Now the skintones look even more faint and chalky. :sad: Oh and the butt seems to need some sort of correction. She looks like she's floating right now. What else am I missing?

pap87
04-22-2006, 05:26 AM
It looks like she's floating because the skin at the points where it touches the ground should also be much darker just like you've done with the ground. You're off to a very good start.

Salubri3i
04-24-2006, 12:56 AM
It looks like she's floating because the skin at the points where it touches the ground should also be much darker just like you've done with the ground. You're off to a very good start.

You're right. I need to work on that one. Thanks for the comments. :)

In the meantime I started work on this one:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/jdelpy.1.jpg

Reference Photo: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/delpy1.1.jpg

It doesn't look like julie delpy. :eek: Can anyone give critiques on what it is that I missed?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

adrianospm
04-24-2006, 01:11 AM
She has amore pointy nose tip, There is something with the angle of her eye. plus you need more kontrast to see wats wrong

adrianospm
04-24-2006, 01:12 AM
The side of her face thats away is to wide

slickgreekgeo
04-25-2006, 08:44 AM
You're a great artist from what I can see; My only advice would be push those skin tones more. Keep it up!

cuddlesmcsavage
04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
only the life model piece you've got great colours at work there. the background works really well, although could perhaps be a little more saturated. you seem to have the anatomy of the figure pretty much down, but you need to soften the edge of the arm as right now it is way too harsh. also the interaction with the background doesnt quite work as well as it could as there is no diffrentiation between the floor and a backdrop. to help interact the figure you should also do some deeper shadows on the skin around where it meets the floor. it is a nice piece though.
so far I love the portrait piece, you've got the details down nicely. i wouldnt worry about the likeness unless thats the object of the painting, just so long as the piece looks right, ou should just concentrate of everything else. i'm looking forward to see where you take this!

jmBoekestein
04-25-2006, 02:06 PM
These are very solid starts! Very nice values on the portrait, I'm no good with skintones at all so don't have any advice for you. Keep up the practice!!!

offbeatworlds
04-25-2006, 02:22 PM
You're doing really well, I like watching your progress.

Wow, I just noticed you changed your username! How did you manage that?

Salubri3i
04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
thanks for the kind words everyone. :)

escapizm: That's what I've been thinking of doing. I figure I missed almost all the features in terms of likeness but the portrait itself looks fine. I guess I'll try to fix it one more time tonight and if that doesn't work then I'll just proceed to finish the piece.

sylanya: I had to change it when I tried to activate my CGportfolio(which is currently still empty). Apparently CG doesn't accept usernames with spaces in between. :D

The nude was just a paint over from an existing photo so I can't claim credit for the anatomy. I guess I should have stated that when I posted. That was my first digital painting and I was so excited to try it out that I didn't want to sketch anything but instead wanted to jump in to the painting part immediately. I took the outlines by adjusting the values in Photoshop. It is from a black and white photo.

The Portrait is all me. :D The landscape I referenced from an excercise in an art book. It's on color theory... i'll post the name when I remember it. It's pretty a good book... even dabbles in teaching monochramatic grays.

bryanbeus
04-26-2006, 12:53 AM
good work dude. your color is coming along nicely:) keep it up:)

Salubri3i
05-02-2006, 01:01 AM
good work dude. your color is coming along nicely:) keep it up:)

Thanks man. :)

I went to the beach for the weekend but I managed to do some progress when I got back:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/jdelpy_ver4.jpg

It still needs plenty of tidying up but I want to leave the hair somewhat artsy... keep the focus on the face or something.

offbeatworlds
05-02-2006, 01:41 AM
That looks really good! Very soft shading, and I love the hair. Nice job!

Runecaster
05-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Hey there! Thought I'd drop by -- that Delpy piece looks amazing! :eek: Wow, really great grasp of value/contrast on that!

I'll be keeping an eye out here for sure! :)

Salubri3i
05-04-2006, 12:58 AM
thanks!

I'll be working on a creative portrait of sorts during the weekend. I'll post my progress when I get back to work on monday. I hope I get to finish it in time for the anniv. whew...:wise:

Salubri3i
05-10-2006, 01:26 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/ryan_salubri/Face_Sketch1.jpg

I was working on the "special project" during the weekend when it hit me that I was having "the" day. You know those rare days when you just can't draw or paint even if your life depended on it? Yup that day. :shrug:

So anyway... what I did was to take a step back read a few more books and do a practice run to get my, pardon the words "groove" back. :D

I ended up with this one which I worked on (and wasn't able to finish :D) somewhere in between eating, reading, resting and the gilmore girls. lolz.

The hair I did in less than a minute. :bounce:

audit
05-10-2006, 01:36 AM
sorry to hear you've been having "days" :D ah well... you've got a great style and your work so far is very impressive, especially your julie delpy, although you're right as it still doesn't look quite like her - nevertheless convincing use of monochrome. Keep plugging away, it's great to see progress!

Runecaster
05-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey there :)

I was switching between the photo of Julie Delpy and your rendering - and it's the forhead on the left side that is making yours seem a little off -- soften that up a bit (if you switch the views back and forth you can tell) her forhead isn't as sharp right there where it curves. Her eyes are spot on though, well done :)

Salubri3i
05-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Thanks Audit and LM! :D

LM: You're right about that forehead. I've set aside that piece for now. I might try to fix it eventually or redo it entirely(coz there's about a hundred things wrong with that one. lolz.).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/facecolor2.0.jpg

So I was left at home, feeling sick and nothing to do. After staring at Mr. Bouguereau's insane paintings I had an epiphany with the colors(which is very likely to be wrong.lolz.). Anyway I thought I'd try it and this was the result... well as far as I had gone anyway.

So I'm applying some of the stuff I've learned from observing Mr. Bouguereau's works, Mr. Loomis' tutorials and one other Portrait Artist who's name I can't recall right now... it's a hodge podge of lessons. lolz. At any rate I figure the coloring probably has these elements: midtone, cool shadows(i just call them that. i don't know if the term is right), warm shadows(or stronger shadows), warming color, lighter tones and then highlights which were used sparingly. There's lots to do with this one coz the face still looks flat... I'm kinda struggling with the lip color as it looks like lipstick... I was gunning for something more natural.

I learned something precious yesterday... I remembered how Linda keeps saying flip your work from time to time to get a fresh look and so I tried to do it. To my horror the portrait I've been painting for nearly 8 hours (ahem... I wasn't feeling well and kept dozing off from time to time. lolz.) was crooked as the road to Baguio. lolz. Well I fixed that one and ended up with an almost symetrical face... which might not be a good thing. :P

Salubri3i
05-19-2006, 05:21 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/face-color1.jpg
I have never done a face in color until today. I have to say that this is all so very difficult for me. Not only do I have to think about the mathematics of color but I also have to know exactly the kinds of planes present on the face in order to shade it properly. She's looking kinda strange right now. Anyway here's the to do list:

The right side of the face is too wide... need to chop off some excess there.
The eyes look weird, pasted and highly unrealistic.
Haven't completed painting the lashes.
Make the lips look more natural.
Make the eyebrows appear more natural?
Complete rendering of the nose.
Anyone spot something else that needs work? Oh and are the color a little too dead as in do I need to put in a little more warmth in there?

Iridyse
05-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Hi! I could have sworn I had commented here before, hmm.

Anyway, I really like the rendering of the lips. However, it looks a little "pasted on". I think that's mainly because the edges are pretty defined. I think that can be solved easily if you take a soft-ish brush and colourpick the skintone next to her lips and blend the edges together. Also remember to paint the parts around her mouth( for example, the lower lip juts out more near the corners).

As for the eyes, I think you need to increase the thickness of the lower eyelid. and add a deeper crease to the upper one. A little more warmth to the shadows would be nice. Skin usually has saturated shadows and less saturated highlights.

All these are personal preferences though, you may think I'm saying utter rubbish :D. In any case, you're doing very well , I'm looking forward to seeing this completed :)

Salubri3i
05-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks hirii. I'll take note of everything you said and try them out tonight... or whenever I get the chance to. sigh. Having a day job sucks sometimes. :D

I've been thinking about doing speed paints too... I have this feeling that I work so sloow.

CyborgJA
05-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi! I could have sworn I had commented here before, hmm.

Anyway, I really like the rendering of the lips. However, it looks a little "pasted on". I think that's mainly because the edges are pretty defined. I think that can be solved easily if you take a soft-ish brush and colourpick the skintone next to her lips and blend the edges together. Also remember to paint the parts around her mouth( for example, the lower lip juts out more near the corners).

As for the eyes, I think you need to increase the thickness of the lower eyelid. and add a deeper crease to the upper one. A little more warmth to the shadows would be nice. Skin usually has saturated shadows and less saturated highlights.

All these are personal preferences though, you may think I'm saying utter rubbish :D. In any case, you're doing very well , I'm looking forward to seeing this completed :)

quoted.
I also suggest to paint lights and shadows to background too. That will help you in portraits !
Good work !

Salubri3i
05-26-2006, 08:26 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/On%20the%20flyv6.jpg

So here's an update on that portrait practice. I've yet to do the ears and some refinements with the skin. I'll take into account Hirii's advice on the saturated shadows next time. I think I've gone too far with this one to change the shadows now.

Tell me what you guys think. :D

Rist
05-26-2006, 08:44 AM
'To me' the nude female looks like she has been coloured in just variations of midtones. You need atleast some highlights, doesnt have to be too intense, and especially shaded areas because thats what gives the object form. Make the shaded areas darker and the light area a little lighter. You will have to experiment to get the colours and intensity (dont want he to look like Barby).

Salubri3i
05-26-2006, 09:18 AM
thanks andrew! i'll certainly keep that in mind when i redo that piece. :)

digitalee
05-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Really nice work so far mate, I must say as a fellow newbie I'm a little envious :-p

Salubri3i
05-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Really nice work so far mate, I must say as a fellow newbie I'm a little envious :-p

Thanks man! :D I saw your work too. It's looking good. I support the crits that were mentioned in the thread. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Salubri3i
06-05-2006, 01:46 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/forestgreenyhellow.jpg

Here's WIP I started this weekend. It's based on a ref. The leaves you see is just a test. I was to sleepy to go into serious work on it last night so I just thought of putting on leaves to see how it might look.

Anyways tell me what you guys think. :)

Runecaster
06-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Salubri, wow, those trees are amazing :) I agree, ditch the leaves -- glad you said they were just a test -- you can do much better than that...

I am loving the trunks of the trees and the road - this is very well done - I can't wait to see it finished :)

offbeatworlds
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Salubri3i. I really like that last painting of the woods. Really nice color usage. I like the shapes of your trees, and the little details. I agree about the leaves though, they kinda look like you just sponge painted them on or did that toothbrush think you know? Anyways, great work, I look forward to more.

pap87
06-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Honestly, aside from the repetitive look I reckon the leaves are awesome. And to me that forest looks very inviting more than eery, don't get me wrong I really like it.

You're improving lots.
Keep up the good work!

Salubri3i
06-06-2006, 12:47 AM
thanks guys. :bounce:

i was just too tired and sleepy last sunday to begin work on the leaves. i just wanted to see what the trees would look like with "clothes" on instead of being naked. :D

the end result might still look similar to the sponged leaves though... see i was going for this typical traditional media style where you just dab your brush either sideways or by the tip. thing is i just can't recreate that effect by making custom brushes.. i've actually made lots and all but this one works well enough to create somewhat convincing leaves. :D i'm taking everything that's been said in though... i'm going to get in there and *gulp* get my hands dirty. :thumbsup:

i got to do some work on the leaves last night but it's still not working the way i want it to. hopefully i'll be able to post something more concrete tomorrow. :shrug:

Salubri3i
06-07-2006, 01:16 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/ryan_salubri/foresto2.jpg
Eep! Now I'm not so sure if the leaves look better or worse...

Okay I'm thinking the trees in the foreground, their leaves don't work... it must be either too saturated or something with the shape? It's still in the wip stage but I'm thiking that needs changing. Light is hardly reaching that tree... it's supposed to be reflected in this pic.

Maybe the tree in the middle looks bad too. I may need to work the color a little more.

Tell me what you think guys. :shrug:

Runecaster
06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I like how this looks -- but I totally understand the frustration of trying to get a result like what you see in your mind's eye. But it's hard to crit when we, the viewer, don't know the end result that you are looking for.

You said traditional medium-looking 'happy trees' then? I think you are on the right track -- because they look like trees and it looks like a paintbrush did it... maybe just add your highlights, it doesnt look like you've done that yet? Just slap them on a different layer so you can get the idea -- sometimes that helps a lot with me at least. You can always merge down and work it out later. I still think it's looking good! :thumbsup:

Salubri3i
06-08-2006, 12:50 AM
thanks Runecaster! :bounce:

the weirdness with the lighting comes from the fact that the foreground either doesn't get much of the light or is backlit. the size of the ref pic doesn't help me much either. i should post it here.

i didn't get anything done last night coz i went home with a package of hereos of might and magic V. lolz. i hope i can resist playing tonight so i can finish it before the weekend. maybe i'll try doing the leaves in the foreground in reverse. lightest, light, darker and darkest... maybe that will look more like it's backlit.

oh and i have to return the branches too. silly me i had the "pick up underlying color" in painter checked while i was adding leaves. i ended up overpainting and smudging the tiny branches. i really need to learn how to use painter properly. :D

slickgreekgeo
06-08-2006, 01:58 AM
I definitely agree that if you darken/saturate the foreground more, the image will look better and have a better sense of depth. Keep it comin'!

eilidh
06-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Definitely better now. :)

Pay attention to contrast: I think this is the #1 way of showing depth. Strong contrast in your point of focus, the rest can be more muted. In this case it's the foreground that needs it (since you don't seem to have any object deeper into the woods that would serve as point of interest -- a character for instance). Try some darker and more saturated tones from your overall palette, and through in stronger (also more saturated highlights). Try to bring out texture on the bark and leaves, the grass and the front part of the path. Since you are doing this in Painter, you could try some of those very sharp detail oil brushes to lay down your rough shapes (and blend in as you work along).

pap87
06-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Also the trees closest to us on the right could use some stronger highlights.
Very nice work though!

Shadowbrooke
06-08-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree that more highlights and details in the foreground would add more depth :) This one beautiful forest! Are you adding figures into this one or it will remain a landscape piece?

Maladie
06-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey Salubri3i! I thought I'd check out your thread after you've been so kind in mine:). Great work here!! I think your ability is really good considering you're new to this. Luckily I'm focussing on other things or I might get jealous:)...

The trees still look weird to me, sorry. The leaves in the foreground are now very different from the ones in the back, and to me it looks more smudgy now. But I have to say I like really rough, loose work, which is why I liked the previous one I think.

Good going though, keep it up!

Salubri3i
06-09-2006, 12:41 AM
slickgreek, elidh and pap: i'm going to write down everything you said so i can consider it when i go and finish this piece this weekend (hopefully!). thanks guys.

kelandra: i'm considering putting a walker in the path... i think it might help lead the eye thru the path or something... we'll see if i can work that idea. ;)

maladie: thanks. ;) the foreground leaves will be redone. i think it was a mistake to approach that the way i did (which was mainly by creating impressions). being in the foreground it should be more detailed so i'll actually have to return the look in the first version.

thanks everyone. :bounce:

Salubri3i
06-13-2006, 03:55 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5441/1622/1600/foresto2.0.jpg

okay here's the finished piece. I think I'll add "trees" to my list of things to improve on. my buying a book on it about a few months back seems prophetic. lolz. I did a version of this where there's a young woman with a red cloak walking in the path but it sorta didn't work since it caused problems with the scale of the trees.

i started working on something new but it's too skeletal that there's not much to show.

as always c&cs are welcome. :bounce:

pap87
06-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Hey, that is very nice! Impressive work.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

eilidh
06-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Hmm. The left part of the image has definitely improved, but I think the right -- the changes in the main tree -- have made it lose its flare a little. There is still no starker contrast at the front part of the picture except for a few minor details on the path. I think there ought to be some (including details) there, as well as on the plant on the left, the two trunks on the right and the bushes they are sprouting from.
All that, of course, ideally. If you call it finished, it's finished. :)

Salubri3i
06-13-2006, 08:52 AM
pap: thanks man! i'll post it when there's enough of it to crit. if you want you guys can check out my blog as i post snippets there and traditional media stuff when i get the chance to do them. :D

eilid: thanks man and i get what you mean. i'm actually not fully satisfied with it but i'd like to set it aside for now (until i get inspired to modify this again).

Maladie
06-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Looks good! Very Bob Ross-ish:). Only thing that really bugs me is the plant near the left lower corner. It just doesn't look real, or it's out of style, or something. Maybe it's because I 'read' it as an aloe vera-plant which is not very native to forests:).

I'd like to see you experiment with colors and go way over the top with them. I think there could be even more 'splash!' to your work. It looks really neat though!

offbeatworlds
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Whoo, that's really looking good! I think one thing that you could do, and I learned this when I was doing landscapes, is make the furtherest part of the landscape almost monotone, it really gives a sense of depth. Just don't detail, hardly shade, it really makes the foreground stand out against the background and gives a distance between the two.

Great work so far though! :thumbsup:

Euphrosyne
06-17-2006, 07:38 AM
You are really doing good with the portraits! The drawing part of the work is very accomplished. The color part will come with more practice. I would like to see more saturated color in your skin tones and less grays. Use more purples, blues and greens to liven up the skin tones if you want to punch up your skin tones. I will be coming back to see your progress as I am expecting great things from you in the future.

Salubri3i
08-15-2006, 03:05 AM
okidoki... time to paint again. here's what i'm currently working on.

http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/sketch.jpg

That's the sketch. I'm kinda wondering if the features line up correctly. I spent around 8 hours obsessing over it. :D

Here is where I currently am (blame it on grey's anatomy and fable:D) :

http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/1stcol-light-dark.jpg

Well... that's as far as I went last night. Just painted in the basic light and dark areas.

Hey guys as always... I need a good pair of eyes (I'm old... mine are sucky or maybe I just feel that way despite my Opthalmologist saying it's still 20/20). If you spot something thats really off I'd appreciate some input. Changing things now would be much easier than doing it halfway to the finish line.

Anyways thanks for visiting. You guys rock. :buttrock:

Salubri3i
08-16-2006, 01:42 AM
http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/2ndcol-ws-cl.JPG

Worked on this last night. Added the cool lights and the warm shadows. I'm kinda wondering if I'm going about it correctly. Plus I've never done colors this bold yet. :sad:

Anyways C&Cs are welcome. ;)

Shadowbrooke
08-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi! :)

I see you're progressing with the painting. I think the face looks great. She might be wearing a sweater or something later...if not, maybe she needs her clavicles. Looking forward to see some progress, and thanks for the tip on my wip. :) Keep it up!

frostblade
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Might be good to colour with bg colour that's not white and make the lips skin tone to start with too so you can just tint the lip colour on later...it also helps to get that glossy lip look if you want that later.

Salubri3i
08-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Kelandra: Oh my gosh! :eek: I totally forgot about the clavicles! Good call! So that's what this funny feeling I had was... I kept wondering what was missing in the lower parts. :D My reference pic only showed up to the nec and tiny parts of the shoulder... when I extended it downwards with my painting I missed the clavicles... lolz. Thanks. You're my life saver. :bounce:

Frostblade: Thanks. I'm going to block in the background hopefully later this evening and block in the rest of the features as well... I remember you did blonde hair before... I'm still wondering what colors to use there as this one has blonde hair. Thanks for the advice. It will definitely come in handy. :wip:

http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/fnwmdchks.JPG

Here's where I am at the moment. Started putting on some of the warm lights. She's looking a little more human now. :D I am definitely giving this girl her clavicle back tonight. lolz. (bonks self on head). Anyways I might not be able to post anything for the next three or four days. The next post will come on Tuesday. We're going on a 3 day weekend coz of holidays.

Cheers! Thanks for dropping by. ;)

Runecaster
08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
her cheek/nose area is beautiul! Can't wait to see more updates, have a great weekend :)

frostblade
08-17-2006, 02:47 PM
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/6222/swatchyc2.jpg

my swatch for all it's worth. Messy but all the useful colours I use are there.

I used warm browns as a base and then got a paler version of that...and just used the slider to find paler versions with more yellow or white in it to get lighter and lighter... quite relative to the surounding colours and using layer proporties to change what it does to the colours under it etc.

It's mainly press new layer button... lay down few strokes, erase bits, blur bits... rinse repeat until it looks nice...
Highlights are sometimes nicer with screen or luminosity mode.

Sometimes a good spakled brush helps a lot.... reduces time taken by a lot.

http://www.tascha.ch/?page_id=86 pale hair tut. It's a lot of work to get it like that though.

Salubri3i
08-18-2006, 12:49 AM
runecaster: thanks. there's still plenty of coloring to do so i'll cross my fingers and hope I don't ruin anything. :D

frostblade: thanks for the swatches! the link too is great. it's pretty close to the hair she's got. :applause:

Just one minor update before I the weekend. :D

http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/BGbhfn.JPG

Okay. I just did some work on the background and laid down colors for the hair. The hair color is very close to the reference pic. It's only slightly more saturated. I'll post the reference pic here next time. Is that a natural blonde or is her hair bleached? I don't get to see blonde people around here... not so much anyways.

Didn't really have much time last night. Still no clavicle and I wasn't able to paint in the features. Hopefully my next update will not only be finished but anatomicaly correct as well. :D

Thanks for checking in guys!

Salubri3i
08-18-2006, 01:18 AM
This might be of use to some people out there so I might as well post it. I recently bought a book by Chris Saper entitled "Painting Beautiful Skin Tones with Color & Light". It's been a great help.

Here's her website -> www.chrissaper.com (http://www.chrissaper.com)

Iridyse
08-18-2006, 06:21 AM
The skin tones are beautiful! I quite like the palette you have there. However, one thing to keep in mind is that the blue in the background will appear on the skin quite a bit (mostly where you have the purples). Also, the nose/upper lip area seems slightly disjointed. I think some more light on the other philtral column would help. It might help the shadows if your base layer for the hair was much darker.

Looking forward to updates, have fun! ;)

Salubri3i
08-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks Shreya! You always give sound advice and I'm definitely keeping all of that in mind while I work on it during the weekend. :thumbsup:

man... 1 more hour to go and I'm off from work. wooot!

Salubri3i
08-22-2006, 12:43 AM
http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/fnreregtole.jpg

gah... i wasn't able to finish. it's more difficult than i thought. i did some work on the facial features and tried polishing the skin as much as i could. i was working with the eyes last night when i stopped. i'll remove the sketch lines when it's pretty much decent without it.

tell me what you guys think ok? ;)

Iridyse
08-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Excellent work on the skin! I really like it. The shadow on the chin is beautiful, really soft but still conveys the form well.
At this point, I'd just say it might be a good idea to remove the sketch lines for the lips. Otherwise you -might- end up painting within them, and not blend the edges with the area around the mouth, you know? Also perhaps the neck could be a wee bit thinner from the back, it would seem so much more graceful.

Wonderful work though. More!

Shadowbrooke
08-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Nice update! I really like how you painted the nose, excellent job. I'd agree that at this stage it's a good time to loose the lines (or just paint over them :)) Either case, this is looking very very good and look forward to your updates! Nothing else to crit so far. Keep painting :)

Cheers,
Brooke.

CyborgJA
08-22-2006, 10:00 AM
I would like to share with you a little trick that I've learnt in years of exercise.

One of the first thing to check is eye-mouth alignment.
Try to trace a line that connect the 2 mouth's corners and compare it with the line that cuts in the middle the eyes. If they are parallel you are on the right way, if not, you should modify the 'component' that less fits the head rotation.

In your case, this component is her left eye, expecially cause of its plane. It is too visible if compared with the planes eye-nose of the right one.

Then...start to describe something like an hair-ball to really see what you are painting. As example, you have hightly described her skin tones and her skin volumes but hair are still flat. That doesn't help you in viewing what really wrong with her structure cause your eye will be always distracted by the flat, big, hair area.
Remember collarbones' shadows too.

These are my 2 cents, hope they can help you.
Serena.

frostblade
08-22-2006, 11:45 AM
I think you should get rid of the hair and paint the face and then paint on the hair and shadows that it casts. The cheek bone rendering part might be affected by the hair being there first.

pap87
08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Till the last few updates I had trouble in seeing whether this was a male or a female and it was because, as Iridyse pointed out, the neck is too thick.
At the back of the neck in your picture there is a very faint vertical line you can just make out. I reckon that would make a good guide as to where the back of the neck really should be. Hope you can see what I'm trying to point out.

It's looking great.
Looking forward to an update:thumbsup:

Runecaster
08-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Wow, that'd be one seriously girly man then. lol

I never ever had a problem seeing it was a female. Maybe my eye can take that leap then? I didn't ever even have the notion the neck was too thick, or that there was even a major problem.

*shrug* Go figure.

That opposite side of her face btw, is looking mahhhvelous.

In regards to the sketch lines, what I do, and I've found that for some reason this works really well for me, is I erase them as I detail out just the area I'm working on. Instead of wholesale 'unchecking' of that layer - try erasing as you go. It's not so shocking a change.

Salubri3i
08-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Shreya & Brooke: Thanks. I'll consider all of what you said. :thumbsup:

Serena & Linda: Thanks for the tips. It will certainly be of use to me in the future. I'll try and get on the hair tonight. ;)

Pap87: I may have misread the thickness of the model's neck when I made my initial sketch. Along with several others like the eyes and nose areas. lolz. I've been fixing issues as I go along. Thanks man. :D

Runecaster: Interesting. Maybe I will adopt your aproach with the sketchlines. Right now I'm kinda using it as a crotch. hehe... I'm afraid of removing it coz I don't trust myself without the guidelines yet. I guess though the only way for this eagle to soar is if he actually jumps of the cliff and starts flapping. :D

I was dragged of kicking and screaming to a birthday party last night. Wasn't able to work on it. I'm posting the reference with this. I'm trying to make the peice as accurate as ryan-ly(:D) possible. I guess I'm kinda training my skills coz I'm planning on doing someone's portrait for their birthday.

http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/A4YYWB.jpg

Right now the issues I see are with the way the features go with the way her face is... it's tilting somewhat but mine doesn't catch that. The issue with the neck... I'm reading the image and perhaps the model as somewhat large neck. Someone also pointed out that the philtrum area is a bit long. How do you measure that? Is it suppose to be equal with one lip?

Anyways it's always good to hear comments. An extra pair of eyes can be very helpful. :thumbsup:

Runecaster
08-23-2006, 03:05 AM
I can tell you right now that if people are picking it apart by muscle groupe and/or particular feature - they are nitpicking and I wouldn't worry about it. She looks fine.

I'd focus more on getting rid of the sketch lines as you go :D

pap87
08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Wow, that'd be one seriously girly man then. lol I never ever had a problem seeing it was a female. Maybe my eye can take that leap then? I didn't ever even have the notion the neck was too thick, or that there was even a major problem.

After seeing so many ladylike men in pics in these forums you can be ready for anything.

After seeing the reference pic I could see I was wrong about the neck but something is still different about the photo and I'm pretty sure it's the shoulders. In your pic they are much lower than in the photo making it look like more of a male pose, well that's how it looks to me. I was wrong before so don't take my word for this one too. Just an observation.

Oh and the reason the philtrum looks longer in your pic is because you've shaded it much closer to the lip whereas in the photo the groove stops a bit short of the lips.

Hey, how bad can your pic look without the sketch lines in it? You've already got some crisp details and outlines. I reckon you're pretty safe to ditch them now.

Iridyse
08-23-2006, 04:27 PM
After seeing so many ladylike men in pics in these forums you can be ready for anything.

So true!
The reference pic is a little strange. By that I mean that the eyes, nose and lips don't really line up (not parallel) . Also I guess we were wrong about the neck, but if you check the back, it curves a little differently than yours does.Also as pap87 mentioned, the shoulder is low, it makes it seem like the trapezoid is higher, adding to the bulk of the neck. Men do have thicker neck muscles than women though.

I think I mentioned the philtral column, but it was just about the shading. The spacing looks ok to me. From what I know, it may differ from person to person (just like the eyes, nose etc change, it personalises the face)

Some adjustment in the jawline will help to make the face tilt a little more. Get rid of the lines, you can do it! *cheers for Ryan*

Sorry for being nitpicky, just trying to help :)

Shadowbrooke
08-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi :)

Just a note to encourage your painting progress. I think the ref pic looks odd because the camera lens did something to it (dunno really :curious:) As for nitpicking, I'd love it if someone picks my painting apart he he...as long as they look at it and even nitpicking takes time to comment.

You're doing great, keep going! :thumbsup:
Brooke.

jmBoekestein
08-23-2006, 06:59 PM
This girl looks like she's just built heavily, nice work on the colours, they're enjoyable. As far as anatomy, I think there are some issues with continuity of the skin and consequently how much light it reflects, and th shoulder away from camera has the top edge too high. In the ref I guess the right shoulder higher than the left and just outside the frame border. yours ends up lower and the left shoulder muscle (whatever it's called, because I don't know their names) seems a few cm too high and to the frnont like this. Nice work. Keep going!

Runecaster
08-23-2006, 07:06 PM
The only reason I mention the nitpicking is this:

Have you SEEN professional work? It's no where NEAR as good a quality than some of the people who put stuff up here in the WIP thread.

And I mean regular illustrators and famous, famous book cover artists. People who /sell/ their work. Darrel Sweet is a really good example of this. I cringe at his work the anatomy is /so/ bad. And his works grace the cover of every single Robert Jordan book in print. And that's just one example.

Don't get so caught up in tiny miniscule details like the length of her skin from edge of nose to top of lip. If it looks normal, it IS normal.

I will admit to a caveat:

Michael Whelan is /the/ most famous illustrator and book cover artist of the day. And he's won more awards for his art than any other in his field (fantasy/sci-fi). Want to know why? His /perfect/ ability with anatomy.

But even then - if you look close, people look like real people - not perfect symmetrical representations.

I think the best advice is to relax.

Salubri3i
08-24-2006, 12:58 AM
pap and shreya: thanks for the advice. i'll look into the difference with the shoulders later this evening. thanks. :thumbsup: i agree about the rampantness of androgenous creatures. lolz.

brooke: thanks. funny that you mention that thing about the camera lens. i think that's one of the major problems you get when copying from commercial photography. the other is with the lighting. sometimes they use multiple lights which makes for really confusing shadows. :wise:

JM: i thought that too. her muscular neck and the hair was actually what made me want to paint this. it looked both funny and strange but at the same time i still found her attractive. :D. you're right about the skin continuity. it becomes more obvious without the sketch lines.

renee: i am relaxed. :thumbsup: i don't really mind other artists nitpicking my work as long as it is given in a constructive manner. i mean i already expect people to criticise as soon as i post since the forum itself fosters this kind of behaviour. i have to say that i am okay and on a certain level i even like it. :D. i'm a bit OC and i want my work to be as flawless as it can be but my amateur eyes and lacking skills can't pick it all up. so it's nice to have others look at your painting in progress and hear what they have to say. like what cypherx said though, the individual is not duty bound to follow every critism that comes his way. i do sift thru all of them and pick the ones i think will help my work more. ;) with that said, trust me. i get where you're coming from and it's very much appreciated. :love:

i got to do some work on the hair last night but not enough to post. okay, next post i make won't have the sketchlines on it so you guys can better see how the image is going. i'll be back tomorrow. har har.

:wavey:

Salubri3i
08-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Minor Update:

http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/hair2.jpg

I just worked on the hair. I'm finding it difficult and right now I have mixed feelings with the result. This is how it looks without the sketch lines by the way. I figure I need to define the image more.

Also checked the shoulders last night and I think I get what you guys are saying. Lots more stuff to do with this one. Tell me what you guys think ok? ;)

Alice
08-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Your of to a great start! When it comes to colours... Bold is beautiful :)

eishiya
08-25-2006, 03:41 PM
She is still missing clavicles.

Other than that, great work, some great progress since I last visited this thread. I think you should use some of the purple-ish shading from the skin in the hair as well, to add to the unity. Also, the features of her neck seem a bit sharp, like they're very thin.

Shadowbrooke
08-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi there :wavey:

I like the painting much better without the lines. I think now is just the matter of adding details. The hair looks nice :) As for her clavicles...I think I can actually see them, maybe just adding very slight shadows to make the hint of clavicles stronger. I know it's an odd ref to begin with, but you're doing great!

PS: thanks for the link to Enayla's work!! :) :)

See ya later :)
Brooke.

pap87
08-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Actually it's not a shadow that defines the clavicles in the photo, it's the blue highlight just nect to her left shoulder. You can't really see the right one but because you can see the left one the brain kinda compensates and it feels like you can see it.
Another thing I noticed, which might help the neck even more, is the trapezius. in the photo it starts higher up on the right shoulder (our left).

Looking forward to an update.:thumbsup:

Salubri3i
08-29-2006, 01:34 AM
http://mathsci.math.admu.edu.ph/%7Eryan/pics/paintings/post.jpg

Well there it is. Still has lots of issues and room for improvement but it's been 2 weeks and it's time to move on. I saved your comments in a text file for future reference as I'm pretty sure I'll *fix* this picture someday. Right now I'll just admit to myself that my skill level needs to improve (clavicle vs ryan: clavicle 1, ryan 0 :D and don't even get me started on her eyes! lolz. ). Heck I bought a book on anatomy and perspective just before the weekend to prove I'm serious. :P

Thanks very much for all your help people. I'm starting on a new piece and hopefully I'll have something more concrete than a few scribbles in a few days.

See ya! :wavey:

CyborgJA
08-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I believe that the only way to really learn anatomy is "to break your teeth on the wall" so...what can you improve in your pic?

Here some references :
http://www.drbackman.com/neck-stretch-lat-lg.jpg

http://web.tiscali.it/sportivissimo/muscoli%20del%20collo.jpg

Remember : I control you http://forum.html.it/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

PS: don't loose your hope on this pic and restart to work on it as soon as possible !

pap87
08-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Hey dude, you've got no problems with your skill level. This is top stuff. It's really shaping out nicely!
My only crit now is about the way the nostril looks. It's borders are too hard, just a bit of smoothing will fix it.
The eyes look great. Are they going to have black pupils?

Looking forward to next update.:thumbsup:

frostblade
08-29-2006, 05:04 PM
that part of the body is damn hard to draw. Too strong the person looks tense and scared even... having some probs with it myself.

Great job on the current painting... just a bit on the yellow side if you want a crit.

Shadowbrooke
08-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi Ryan,

Sorry I haven't commented sooner...I'm sorry you feel blue about this piece but to me it looks very good. We all need to improve our skill level, but yours is already impressive. I don't know if you wanted a crit for this one...since you'll come back to it later. And I completely sympathize with losing spirit on a particular piece. Happens to me all the time.:)
I think Cyborg's ref pic is useful...yeah...that is one hard neck to paint! Eek!

Hope to see your next work; all of your works are very enjoyable!

All the best,
Brooke :)

Salubri3i
08-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Serena: that's a useful anatomy pic. i actually bought a book on anatomy for artists. much practice for me comes. :D i feel like starting an anatomy sketchbook somewhere in here...

Linda: it is? i thought it was too saturated. i was being brave and bold with the colors. my first attempt at painting a figure digitally i painted with midtones, the next one i painted in greys. i'm pretty sure the next one will hit the nail on the head. :D (crosses fingers)

Brooke: crits are fine. like i said i'll save them all on a text file and read them again when i work on this piece in the future. :buttrock:

Thanks guys! I didn't actually loose hope on this thing. I just feel like moving onto something else. The pic started out as a practice thing you know? I didn't intend to actually fully render it. :D but hey there it is. i think leaving it off for now will enable me to look at it with a fresh eye when i pick it up again.

jmBoekestein
08-30-2006, 02:15 AM
I think you did great man, especially around the nose and lip area, also the colours work just fine. Good work! On to the next then? :thumbsup:

Salubri3i
08-30-2006, 02:47 AM
thanks jm. pap is right though... i just need to fix one shadow on the nostril. the shadow there should be a bit softer. :)

pap87
08-30-2006, 01:40 PM
So it was only for practise?
Well, nevertheless it turned out to be your best pic yet.

I look to forward to seeing more of your work.:)

Gisaiagami
09-22-2006, 12:40 PM
wow sorry for delay in comment
you evolution is gorgeous
keep up ^^

Salubri3i
10-02-2006, 01:15 AM
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/7978/greyoptimn8.jpg

something i've been working on and off... oh well time to move on. :D it's also posted in my anatomy sketchbook btw. maybe i'll do a series next... i'm thinking a portrait of me and my friends as knights... I've always liked knights... :D

jmBoekestein
10-02-2006, 04:23 AM
bleh last reponse got lost due to maintenance, jus wanted to say tat I love the light on her face and shoulders, very beautiful, seems like perspective issues or maybe that the lighting is too soft to show proper ovlumes, you should work the same ligting level into the body man, it would rock.

Beautiful hairs too.

Shadowbrooke
10-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Ryan. This is a beautiful painting! I like the lighting a lot, esp on her hair. You also did a good job on the drapery as well. I did notice that her left breast is bigger than her right breast?! But other than that, it looks breath-taking :)

Great work again! Keep it up :applause:

Brooke.

Salubri3i
10-03-2006, 08:13 AM
jm: i see what you mean about the lighting. the lower part of her breasts to the abdomen should have that same light on the face. i'll try and execute this weekend. i have to say that i botched up the perspective on the arms and legs. huhu...

brooke: thanks brooke. i'll check the breasts against the ref... i'm thinking it may be bigger coz it's getting stretched and all from her position. or maybe i really did botch it up. :D

thanks for the crits guys. i'll juggle between this and my planned series. i hope something good comes out of the latter. :D (who knows, if i'm lucky maybe the former as well. ;))

Salubri3i
10-06-2006, 12:47 AM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2735/greyv300dpipostyj4.jpg

Sorry for the messy state. :shrug:

I tried adding some legnth to the body, the left arm and the legs(thickened the shin a bit also). I'll do the same for the right arm in the coming days. I was kinda thinkin the previous one looked like the head was a little too big in relation to the body so now I'm fixing up and re-rendering parts of it. So far I've passed thru the left arm but not the hand, some touch ups on the face and currently working on the whole torso.

I may proceed to color it up when it's all done since doing the greyscale is already giving me ideas about the details and the forms... more than my tiny ref pic can give. :D

thanks for looking. ;)

Shadowbrooke
10-06-2006, 04:44 AM
Hi Ryan. Just want to drop a line to say that looks very impressive! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see colors :)
Brooke.

Iridyse
10-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Beautiful work Ryan! The light is so soft (especially around her hair-so pretty) You've done a great job so far! I just think her left breast needs a little work (it looks "fake" now), just a little softening perhaps. Her shin needs some reflected light too and something about the shading on the calf seems wrong. I really like her right forearm, the shading is so subtle! Can't wait to see this in colour!!

Salubri3i
10-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Brooke: Thanks for dropping by! I'll try and push it further later this evening. :)

Shreya: That's a tall order. I'm taking down notes. :D Seriously, thanks so much for taking the time to look. I've been having trouble with this thing from the perspective to the proportions. :D

I'm happy to hear advice from you guys. It really helps a lot. :bounce:

pap87
10-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm not one to comment on anatomy, it all looks pretty damn good to me, but the lighting and shading is very impressive!

Well done :thumbsup:

Salubri3i
10-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Pap: Thanks dude. :D

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4121/greywpjpgqf9.jpg

Minor update. Mostly just did some stuff with the torso and everything on it. ;) I'm about to sign off from the world this weekend. :D

Salubri3i
10-10-2006, 12:59 AM
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/381/greywpjpgbc3.jpg

this is where it's at right now. i have yet to work on the hands and her right leg. much refining this piece needs. :D

slickgreekgeo
10-10-2006, 03:07 AM
I'm loving this piece, despite the obvious reasons; Very well done, it looks pretty finished to me; I think maybe you should leave it as is, a bit loose, but it's your call; Impressive regardless.

Shadowbrooke
10-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi Ryan :) I have to say this work is most impressive. I think the figure looks beautiful and I love most the lighting. I know you plan to add color, but this looks great in b&w too. Great job! :thumbsup:

Runecaster
10-10-2006, 05:03 PM
the lightning and skin and cloth look amazing - I love how she glows, her abdomen looks just so supple and soft to the touch - excellent work!

CyborgJA
11-09-2006, 10:31 AM
weeeeeeeeeeeee
Such excellent works !I love your last piece! Bravo !

Salubri3i
11-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Here's something I did for what was *almost* a first commission. lol

It was dropped halfway thru(before he even saw the lovers) but I finished it last night anyway and opted to post it here in the interest of making it better. The work was supposed to be for a wedding invitation. The somewhat empty left side was where the *would have been client* intended to put in words and stuff. The full print size is 7.5"x5" so I opted to make it a little loose and not detail so much. So tell me what you guys think. ;)

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4763/ver7optizq0.jpg

frostblade
11-29-2006, 12:01 AM
romantic!

btw how does one get work like this hehe?

Runecaster
11-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Very very pretty color choices, I am sorry it didn't pan out for you in the end, but from what I hear, this is pretty common in our business! haha! :)

I really like the simplicity here. Very pretty!

Salubri3i
11-29-2006, 12:49 AM
linda: thanks. it was the client who approached me. he saw some of my works from before in blogs and stuff. he's actually an officemate so he sees my works more often.

renee: thanks. the client wants something lighter but at the same time he also wants to to be a sunset and the lovers a silhoutte. hehe... i don't even want to wrack my brains on how to work that. i browsed some pictures and found one where there's still plenty of light but the lovers were in silhoutte... exactly what he wanted... only guess what? it looked horrible. light everywhere and in the middle of the picture were pools of dark shadows. :shrug:

Shadowbrooke
11-29-2006, 02:44 PM
I think it's very nice and romantic... reminds me of the brides magazine :) Maybe you could make a full painting out of it!

Always nice to see new work!

pap87
11-30-2006, 05:22 AM
the client wants something lighter but at the same time he also wants to to be a sunset and the lovers a silhoutte. hehe... i don't even want to wrack my brains on how to work that
Lol, I feel sorry for you, I truly do!
You know what, I reckon if you showed the client the same picture again and told him you fixed it he would have liked it.
It's a good painting though. Good on you for still finishing it. :thumbsup:

Iridyse
11-30-2006, 10:51 AM
A really nice colour choice on the last one Ryan! Very rich.

Show us more, damn it! :P

aumortis
12-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Nice indeed. I especially like sea waves in your last drawing, they look so damn convincing :D great work on that!

Blessing
01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/381/greywpjpgbc3.jpg

this is where it's at right now. i have yet to work on the hands and her right leg. much refining this piece needs. :D

Oh my God! That piece is amazing! Put colors on it please, I just can't wait!! :bounce:

Awesome stuff, man! I'll be watching you, maybe I can learn some. ;)

Congrats!! Looking forward for your next update!! :D

Cheers

Bless :)

Salubri3i
01-10-2007, 11:52 PM
thanks bless! :D

soon. i'm working on something but i wanna do it on my own first. i'll post it here when it's done and then listen to critiques.

hmm... speaking of which, i got to take ref pics of hands for that nude piece up there. i can finally finish those hands. :D well... after i'm done with what i'm doing right now. ;)

Salubri3i
01-12-2007, 03:56 AM
Bloody Heck! So I figured I might as well post it here and get crits as I proceed. :D

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4051/reasketch4oe8.jpg

I'll run with this and jump into the painting part this weekend. Perhaps I'll just fix a few things here and there.

CyborgJA
01-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Oh well. The sketch rocks. I also saw a larger view of the face and I already told you that you drew perfect eyes.
Folding is great...composition too...hands too..mm the SINGLE thing I can tell you is to take care to right arm muscles' shape and nothing more.

I CAN'T wait to see the next step.

Runecaster
01-12-2007, 12:21 PM
^^ I agree! Looking very promising so far, can't wait to see the coloring!

Salubri3i
01-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Got to work on it some. I've been sick for 2 days which kept me at home. I seem to be losing some of the intensity and likeness I had with the sketch. I'm working at making the value range a little wider and the puting back the likeness. here's where I am right now. Lot's more to do. Tell me what you guys think. ;)

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4741/reacolor1yi3.jpg

CyborgJA
01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Mmm you are loosing all the work you did with B&W.
Why don't you put a layer in overlay mode-gel etc etc over the greyscale one to merge them later? Believe me...it saves a lot of hs.

frostblade
01-17-2007, 09:52 AM
This looks a bit like those paintings by the old masters (an italian one), style wise.

Well it seems to look a bit washed out with the browns but that is not a bad thing....still really pretty.

You can boost the dark parts with a "selective color" adjustment layer and go to the neutral tab and push the black bar up and see if that does anything good and later you can mask out the results for areas that don't need it.

Salubri3i
01-18-2007, 12:10 AM
serena: gah! tell me about it. :shrug: i'm such a noob. i'm purposefully changing some of the sketch parts to resemble her more but i am definitely losing some of the stregnth of the sketch. i already use the method you mentioned btw. i was waiting for you to logon yesterday. :P

linda: thanks. especially for the tips. i might try that if my efforts don't work. you know i didn't really intend to make it look somewhat classical but since it's going that way i might help nudge it in that direction. :D

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5953/reacolor2op9.jpg

So here it is. Still have to stregnthen the colors. As mentioned I'm changing somethings from the initial sketch. Tell me what you guys think. :D

soulspline
01-18-2007, 12:56 AM
looks good man... you can download my brushes at my deviant account soulspline.deviantart.com i have my hair brushes there

do you use a standard color pallete?

soulspline
01-18-2007, 12:59 AM
whats your work man? we must sometime meet in makati and exchange ideas :) fello pinoy!

Salubri3i
01-18-2007, 01:59 AM
soulspine: my work has nothing to do with art unfortunately. lol i'm an Information Technology Staff in Ateneo de Manila University's math department.

i'll check out your brushes some time. thanks. i use painter. the pallet i use, i mix it on the mixer. the reason for this is because it will help me when i "port over" my skils from digital to traditional and vice versa. the fact that painter has swatches for real artist's colors is a great plus too.

we should meet up sometime. maybe get into a plein air painting session too. i hardly know any of the local artists in our country. :shrug:

soulspline
01-18-2007, 02:05 AM
soulspine: my work has nothing to do with art unfortunately. lol i'm an Information Technology Staff in Ateneo de Manila University's math department.

i'll check out your brushes some time. thanks. i use painter. the pallet i use, i mix it on the mixer. the reason for this is because it will help me when i "port over" my skils from digital to traditional and vice versa. the fact that painter has swatches for real artist's colors is a great plus too.

we should meet up sometime. maybe get into a plein air painting session too. i hardly know any of the local artists in our country. :shrug:

yeah :)
thats a good idea :) i know some artist there in ateneo ( jim imbong, jean sanjuan, elbert) im also new to this place man, my work is a freelance comic artist sa US.
hmmm maybe we can set up an art comunity here asweel like cg society :) hahahahaha

CyborgJA
01-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Unfortunately I've been busy in my morning man :shrug:

Well, I think that now you should do these 3 things :

1- erase the black line that bounds her jaw. It pops-up and it doesn't permit to look at her face in the right way

2- define better hair, especially the "light points" in order to obtain a description of the roundness of her skull. In few words you should work with all the elements of the pic at the same progression.

3- start to paint the background and show us it :p

Good work !

Salubri3i
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
serena: thanks much for the help yesterday. i'll do what you ask hopefully this weekend. i figure i need to work out the colors for the background at this point so i can see how the whole thing might look.

Minor update before going into the weekend:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/14/reacolor3dw7.jpg

started getting into some shading for the neck and spent time working on the face too... trying to make the forms more visible. tell me what you guys think okay? :D

Runecaster
01-19-2007, 01:36 AM
I think you should ditch the aurbrush til the final stages and use hard round only! Go for broke! Set your darkest dark DARK AS HELL! Be dramatic!

Also, don't work on a white canvas -- it skews how you view colors and makes them appear darker than they really are. Toss a nice 50-60% grey or neutral down on the back and see how much things change.. :)

Salubri3i
01-19-2007, 02:03 AM
renee: eep... that's not the air brush... that's actually my really bad habbit of blurring everything. it just happens mechanically i can't even stop. when combined with painter IX's method of compiling to jpeg it blurs even more. i know this is a really bad habit of mine that needs changing. :shrug:

i'll try this method you're suggesting some time. this canvas isn't really pure white. it's greyed down a bit and the layers are set to multiply and the result is it takes aways some of the saturation from the colors. it's a little experiment of mine. :D

CyborgJA
01-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Mmm... if bluring is in your dna, well follow your dna in the first stages, in order to have a "free inspiration flow" and only later, when all the element have been developed, start to add sharp details on another layer. This will help you to focus the attention on the subject plus you'll be able to have any experiment without trashing all the good job you did.

Well, the face is better and better. I'll wait for the updates on monday.

I agree with Renee about colors. I deleted too many works cause of colors' intereaction :cry:

Salubri3i
01-24-2007, 12:00 AM
gaah... i just found out the initial sketch had a little bit of mistake with the anatomy. her body is a little too wide... maybe a little too long too. guess i'll have to make corrections. i'll post something when i've gotten a bit further. i've been feeling a little off lately.

Blessing
01-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Hey! I like that sketch, man! The only thing I can tell you is that I agree with Renee and Serena: the "almost-white" BG doesn't let you see your colors in the right way. Personally, if I put a bright BG, I start to feel blind. I really like your palette, I'll be waiting for your updates!

Keep it up! :bounce:

Bless :)

Salubri3i
01-24-2007, 02:02 AM
thanks!

i should stop obsessing over the likeness and the details on the face. :D i'll get to work on the background later when i get home.

i wonder if i mentioned that this is a huge painting? it's 20" x 30" (okay so that's huge for me :P). i'm kinda surprised my rustbucket hasnt' choked on it yet. lol

frostblade
01-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Whats the dpi on that? 300 = 6000x9000?

I killed my system with large paintings :P

Remember to back up k.

Salubri3i
01-24-2007, 04:00 AM
yup. it's 300 dpi. :D fortunately the rust bucket isn't croaking. lolz

i do back up a lot... i even save on different partitions. thanks for the reminder. ;)

Salubri3i
01-24-2007, 07:25 AM
blast. it doesn't look like her. i'll finish it anyways.

i can't help but feel terrible right now though. :hmm:

maybe next time i'll figure out what i really want before starting a piece. lol :D

Blessing
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
My paintings never look like I want them to. I understand your feeling, but keep going! If I put myself to think about my work, I would probably cut off my fingers. :scream:

You're really talented, come on! I want to see the final piece! :bounce:

Cheers!! :D

Bless

Salubri3i
02-01-2007, 11:48 PM
okay progress has been really slow but i haven't stopped working. :D

my apologies for the mess. my wips don't get clean until it's about 80% done. :D

changes let's see... i shrunk the piece to somewhere around 13x20 as my computer was starting to choke. :D the tree leaves i repainted about a hundred times, the sky and lake i repainted twice. :D bah! I haven't touched the girl for awhile so she's a mess. i'm also convinced there are anatomy issues particularly with the chest and shoulder area and her left arm.

this piece is loosely based on Bougereau's "Reflexion" by the way. if i haven't mentioned it yet. i'm forgetful. lol i am using tons of references but only loosely.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/937/colortestingkk1.jpg

le close up:

the background tree is supposed to be dark so i'm avoiding major lights.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4390/clsupxa1.jpg

p.s. some of the black lines you see are the result of the multiply layers overlapping each other with colors. i will clean them up when i get around to it. :D

Iridyse
02-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Oh my, she's beautiful! I love how you've painted her face, it looks like a one of the old masters' works. I think the background clashes a weee bit with this style though, maybe you could try unifying it with some washes of some sort of yellow with some green in it? You know how a dark yellow looks greenish? Something like that.
Oh I'm just babbling now. Her right (our left) hand looks a little too stretched, I think it is the wrist-hand conecction and the length of the hand itself.

Beautiful work though, I hope you continue in the same delicate manner in which you have painted the face (I'm in love!). Actually, I know you will ;)

CyborgJA
02-05-2007, 01:03 PM
The far-background area (lake-trees-sky) is already perfect. I must wait to see how you'll paint the white right area to tell you anything about it.

Salubri3i
02-05-2007, 11:41 PM
shreya: thanks! I tried putting in a small amount of yellow in the leaves as you suggested but i can't go further than this as the increase in value would conflict with the foreground.

serena: i'm almost done with the background now and i'm going back to the... <gulp!> girl. hope ya like. :D

i'll add some more tidbits into the background when i've compressed all the layers together. i've notced i've lost some definition on the foreground leaves to the right... i better fix that before i complete this painting. i'm also not very comfortable with the plants to the left. man those trees gave me a mjor headache. i learned how to use the sponges though! :P

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1891/alternatelo6.jpg

and here's a lil speed-break (def: a quick break taken to do speed painting! :D):

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/6271/beachyg5.jpg

30-45 minutes while switching my pc to tv and back to corel. lol. i forgot to put in some things but what the heck! it's done. :D

Salubri3i
02-06-2007, 11:37 PM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4336/alternateiq8.jpg

Quick update. I've tried and apply some corrections in line with what me and the secret sweet lady discussed yesterday. :D I've also tried to redo the plants to left (her right side). The previous colors seemed off somehow. I wasn't sure if it was the values or the hue. Anyways does that look better?

p.s. i will put flowers on the plants to the left (violets?) as the ref from boguereau has them... or i might go local and put magenta colored daisies... or something. :D

CyborgJA
02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Perfect man !
I'm not so sure about adding the local flowers on her right background. This can shift the focal point from her to the near background but of course...you can paint them on another layer and then compare ;D

Perfect work on trees and leaves, the detailed ones (near) and the blured in the background. Can't wait to see how you'll paint her dress

Bravo!

Salubri3i
02-07-2007, 11:29 PM
thanks serena. your advice was invaluable. ;)

i see your point about the flowers. it might force the viewer to straddle the right and left sides. maybe it was a bad idea after all. :D

i'll fix the sketch tonight and get back to the girl. will update again soon.

Blessing
02-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Wow, man! I'm in love with your last piece! The girl is absolutely delicate, and your work on the BG is amazing. I love those leaves!
Great speed sketch, too! Looking forward for updates! :bounce:

Cheers!

Bless

Maladie
02-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Hey Ryan!

Getting back to the forum after half a year is so much fun. I see huge leaps in the progress of all my friends here! You're definately no exception. Great work, man. The asian girl is sooo lovely. My only crit is the greens seem unnatural and some parts look monochromatich, maybe add some touches of other colours (I should know as I'm having the same problems with my shark-girl pic:)).

Iridyse
02-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Updates please!

Shadowbrooke
02-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Hey!

Really like the new painting of the lady in purple you got going there. Keep it up :) And yes, definitely updates please.

Brooke.

CyborgJA
03-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Stop to configure machines and show us updatessss :D :bounce:

Salubri3i
03-01-2007, 11:30 PM
hehe. :D

you hit the nail on the head serena. i've been a lil busy here at work. will post something when i get the free time to work on this. ;)

so much to do here at the office lately...

CyborgJA
03-02-2007, 07:10 AM
How much I can understand you..it seems that everybody needs a new machine or a new OS right NOW.:shrug:

Blessing
06-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Hola...? News...? :)

Salubri3i
07-06-2007, 05:18 AM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3538/ahehere7.jpg

Sorry for the garbage on this one. lol No he will not be holding a match stick on the final product. hehe I'm just doodling around. Anyways I've been touching the wacom from time to time to work on this one. It's a character I made for my favorite game: Warhammer 40,000... he's a space marine librarian... a sort of super marine with psychic powers. I'm slowly putting in details. When the lines are done I'll paint him b&w and if i feel like it maybe i'll add some real colors.

whew. it's been a really long time since i was here last. my previous piece is on hold indefinitely. anyways this is character 1 of 5. all of them will feature the same (more or less) bulky armor and semi distorted anatomy.

CyborgJA
07-06-2007, 08:50 AM
ehi, I like him !

Hope to see more sketches soon !

nerdyninja
07-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Great sketches and really nice digital paintings!! You are doing a fantastic job just starting out!! Cant wait to see more! :thumbsup:

Salubri3i
07-07-2007, 12:45 AM
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/1752/ahehe2rv8.jpg

Minor update before I sign off for the weekend. His left chest cable looks horrid. Will have to do something about that.

Happy weekend everyone! ;)

CyborgJA
07-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Enjoy man !

And take with you pencil and paper eh! Cause I want to see updates on monday ! O_o

:IAmATaskReminder:

Blessing
07-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey! So nice to see you back! Interesting sketch you've got in there!

I'll be waiting for updates, so... better listen to Serena :p

Cheers!!

Marķa :)

Salubri3i
07-09-2007, 01:34 AM
thanks people. i had the unfortunate luck of having to work during the weekend though. :( i'm so freaking wasted.

maybe i'll update by tomorrow. right now i'm on a caffeine induced existence and still at work. lol

Salubri3i
07-20-2007, 01:12 AM
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/44/chronosforumsoq9.jpg

I cheated on the staff a little. lol My hand isn't very steady and the wacom is a little slippery. :)

I changed the position of the right hand so that the staff would slant a little. I thought making it straight would kill the pic. I might modify the left hand a bit. Make the fingers look more natural.

I'm still having problems with the robes... particularly in the creases and folds... so far I haven't had any references for this drawing other than the ram's skull of which I had no idea since I don't remember drawing one before. I'll definitely be using references once the background starts. There will be smoke, some fires and I have no idea how to do the ground. lol

Leme know what you guys think. ;)

-r

CyborgJA
07-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Well, to create realistic folds the theory says to understand what there's under them.

I wrote "the theory" cause I still have to understand it :)

Salubri3i
07-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks Serena! I try to apply that theory everytime I work with clothes... I guess I just need more practice. :D

Here's a quick update before I go into the weekend. I just sketched in the staff:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8956/chronosforumsxl6.jpg

Iridyse
07-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Hello! Long time no see :)
You're doing something really different from what I've seen. Lots of elements in there, will be a lot of fun to paint! I'm eagerly looking forward to your progress through this one. Everything looks great for now :)

Blessing
07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Totally agree with Shreya. It's a really interesting work, can't wait to see how you develop it.

Looking forward for updates!

Marķa

Salubri3i
07-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Iridyse: tell me about it. i've been buried under tons of work! :(

Blessing: thanks! i'm hoping i can keep the updates flowing. ;)

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5985/chronosgreypostcf4.jpg

I'm making a different approach this time. I'm trying to experiment with methods of coloring only... i don't know how people paint with greyscale first. Whatever here I am doing the greyscale anyway. :P

Okay so far line art's done and I'm working on values... trying to establish the maximum darks before I go into the lighter parts... maybe establish my maximum range for the values. Currently the idea for the background is to have smoke from something burning... maybe I'll put in a tank wreckage or something. The ground looks funny... hopefully I can experiment on that later. Oh and I'm feeling a bit iffy about the borders too... it makes me feel like it goes into a wide expanse of ... nothingness. lolz

Well till next update! My eyeses hurts. X(

CyborgJA
07-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Ohh well in this step I can help you a little :)

You wrote the right thing : set up the maximum value range. The point is how do you find it? In my practice I've learnt that the most useful thing is to fix the light.
1. choose the number of light sources
2. for each source select the kind of light (direct, "spot light", diffuse etc etc), its intensity and its position.

If it helps you, you can also create a layer an put on it the "spots" that identify the sources. This will allow you to "trace" the light's lines and to think about how the light ray hits the surface of the object you are painting.

Can't wait to see updates ! :thumbsup:

Salubri3i
07-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks Serena! That breaks things down to a much more streamlined approach. Definitely helpful. ;)

Let's see if I can post some progress tomorrow. :D

CyborgJA
07-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Can't wait !

Blessing
07-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Cool work on values! I can't wait for your next update!

Serena gave us (yes, I'm including myself) a great advice! I'll try to do that too. So, if you put it in practise, please, give us the details about it! :D

Cheers!

Marķa

nerdyninja
07-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Looking really good so far! I also cant wait to see what you will implement next!!

Great job! Cant wait to see more !

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2007, 04:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.