PDA

View Full Version : rendering splines

isildur88
04-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi all,

I need to render splines directly in c4d.
I know how to do this in 3ds, but I need to to do it in Cinema this time.
I believe the only way to do this in C4D is using Paul Everett īs Solid Spline plugin. Problem IS, I bought the plugin through his website, payed 29 euros using a Paypal account.
But he hasnīt answered or sent the plugin, neither a code to download or anything similar, so I am stuck and I dont want to loft the splines because it would take too long because of the number of splines i need to render,

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Alan Edburg.

tapaul
04-20-2006, 06:39 AM
check your mail.

regards
Paul Everett

isildur88
04-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Paul
Got it!
Thank You very much.
mfg.
alan

Creature
04-20-2006, 09:15 AM
You could also use a Sweep-NURBS. Add the spline you want to render and a circle-spline which gives it shape.

Not as elegant as SolidSpline but free :)

isildur88
04-20-2006, 06:33 PM
I got the plugin now. It works just like i hoped it would.

Thank you!

flingster
04-21-2006, 08:38 PM
You could also use a Sweep-NURBS. Add the spline you want to render and a circle-spline which gives it shape.

Not as elegant as SolidSpline but free :)

poly hungery also. i love ssp how the hell it works i have no idea but it makes it possible...may spline rendering and this is the point..it does what it says on the can so to speak.

Rich-Art
04-22-2006, 04:26 AM
To Only problem with ssp is that you can't see the radius in the viewport.

So it is a lot tweaking to align the spline. For example if you want to make a cable on a floor or wall.
You have to render to see if the spline is not floating above or penetrate the floor.

But a great plugin it is.

Peace,
Rich-Art. :thumbsup:

flingster
04-23-2006, 03:37 PM
btw way does anyone know whether this new mograph module has anything new in spline rendering dept...just curious.

JamesMK
04-23-2006, 03:44 PM
btw way does anyone know whether this new mograph module has anything new in spline rendering dept...just curious.
Not spline rendering per se, but the Sweep nurbs object has got a very welcome overhaul, and allows for both start and end growth percentages, as well as very sporty user-spline driven scaling and rotation along the length of the path. The parametric UVs have an added 'sticky' parameter option to adjust whether UVs should shrink or "disappear" as a result of the total length variations.
Oh, and those bits are not technically part of MoGraph, but included in the 9.6 update IIRC.

flingster
04-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Not spline rendering per se, but the Sweep nurbs object has got a very welcome overhaul, and allows for both start and end growth percentages, as well as very sporty user-spline driven scaling and rotation along the length of the path. The parametric UVs have an added 'sticky' parameter option to adjust whether UVs should shrink or "disappear" as a result of the total length variations.
Oh, and those bits are not technically part of MoGraph, but included in the 9.6 update IIRC.

cheers james yeah does make your mouth water at reading that...thankie.

obeardy
04-23-2006, 04:01 PM
poly hungery also. i love ssp how the hell it works i have no idea but it makes it possible...may spline rendering and this is the point..it does what it says on the can so to speak.

It inserts a sweepNURBs for you at render time so its just as polygon hungry, you can see this if you render in the editor and move something over CINEMA so it refreshes the managers, but I would not advise to do that other than to see it as it could crash (in theory).

flingster
04-24-2006, 03:23 PM
It inserts a sweepNURBs for you at render time so its just as polygon hungry, you can see this if you render in the editor and move something over CINEMA so it refreshes the managers, but I would not advise to do that other than to see it as it could crash (in theory).

shocked by that...and stand corrected. what i can't understand then is how it manages to handle such large spline quantities at fairly high quality...something i'd expect sweepnurb to kill my machine at render time...kinda explains me getting the quality result i guess. i don't understand it but it seems to be able to handle the quantities and settings...whats all that about...more info obeardy you got me foxed now...does this mean you're saying you could handle the same quantities with normal sweepnurbs? definitely need more info...the other thing i experimented with was xfrog branch object which again is like a sweep but felt a little more manageable in someway possibly because at time i could animate it easier...maybe now with mograph animation addons it more realitic than ever using sweep...how the hell does it do it then...confused to say the least..

bobtronic
04-24-2006, 03:31 PM
the problem is often that people use a circle spline for the sweep. this creates really polygonheavy objects. better to use the polygon spline instead of the the circle.

Bob

Creature
04-24-2006, 03:34 PM
It inserts a sweepNURBs for you at render time so its just as polygon hungry

Somehow that Simpsons bully-kid who always says "Hah Hah" would fit in here :)

I'm not a big fan of the 9.5 Sweep-Nurbs but the 9.6 one really sounds like a nice thing. Maybe some additional capabilities in the style of Trapcode Stroke would be nice. Like having a repeat-option.

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2006, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.