PDA

View Full Version : selection confusion

srv
01-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Hey,
I'm confused about the selection of objects in Maya.
If I have a hierarchical sructure, like a skeleton, and I want to select an object in that heirarchy Maya seems to select all the child objects as well.
I don't think they are actually selected but they are highlighted and if I delete the object I chose then all the child objects are also deleted, very different to 3ds Max.
This causes me problems when I am using layers. I have great trouble in putting the objects that I want into a separate layer as again all the children are added.
If someone could explain this to me I would appreciate it. I'm probably missing something very obvious.

Nicool
01-01-2003, 11:37 PM
for people who comming from 3dsmax, alias purpose on the site a *.pdf to explain to the newbies how "can maya works as 3dsmax"...
:beer:

srv
01-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Hey,
thanks but I already knew about this and it is only really a hotkey/terminology comparison that doesn't really explain my problem.
Does anyone understand what I am asking? Will elaborate if necessary.

playmesumch00ns
01-02-2003, 01:15 PM
The objects under the object you select are highlighted as they are directly affected by their parent. So moving, rotating or deleting the parent will affect all the children. You can insert or remove joints from a skeleton with the appropriate commands. If you're working on a heirachy that's not a skeleton, just unparent the child, delete the object and then parent the child to the deleted object's parent. You can script this in about 5 lines of MEL for use as a button.

As for the layers, dunno bout that, but again a MEL script should be able to do what you want just by adding the whole chain and then removing the unwanted items.

srv
01-03-2003, 03:06 AM
thanks for the reply.
will do as u said if there is no simpler way

playmesumch00ns
01-03-2003, 08:02 AM
simpler? It's about 10 minutes' work and then you have a button to use again and again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.