PDA

View Full Version : What is API mean and what is it used for in Maya?

PB Baller27
04-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Basically simple question. What is API and how does it help you in scripting? I keep seeing the word with C++ and dont understand what people are talking about.

Robert Bateman
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
in general, mel is more useful than the API. API means Application Programming Interface, and is a set of C++ libraries and header files that you can use to make plugins. Within a plugin, you may have additional importers/exporters, new node types, new mel commands, and a few other things. With any plugin, you also need mel script to handle things like the GUI, user options, etc.

The API is not the friendliest of places, and should ony really be used when a specific node type or command is not available in mel.

PB Baller27
04-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks, Robert Bateman. Yea sorry for the title of the thread being screwed up. I was writing this in school and the teacher almost caught me. So I kinda had to finish up quickly. Thanks though.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2006, 08:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.