PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Elf rough sketch for painting

Nanuke-Beta
04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi There,

I am new to this website and forum so please be gentle. I have done a rough sketch for what i call a mountain elf, very different from your normal elf. He is not so ellegant from battling the harsh weather and rockfaces and has been cast away to live in the mountains fighting wild beasts etc. I want to paint it up in photoshop and i'm just developing my painting skills which are well ropey at the moment.

Anyway see what you think and the more constructive critique the better please.

http://www.totalamber.com/elf1.jpg

Obviously the detail in the pic will be far mor when i paint it but if anyone has any sugestions on ideas that i may have not thought of. And yes he does have mountain goat feet, or atleast they will resemble that when i paint it.

Nice to be part of this forum and good luck to anyone who is entering the imagine FX comp for New horizons which i will be starting my entry tonight.

Thanks,
Neil

Aloriael
04-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Very nice drawing :)
I like the facial hair detail :) nice touch and different.

Maybe his thigh should be bigger...looks a tad underdeveloped muscle wise compared to everything else.

Just a logic thing...
The morning star weapon and flow of hair... it's just that they seem to have a lot more action than the figure. Because the pose looks like he's going to sneak up on something while the hair and weapon are in mid battle. Maybe a spear, axe, sword, mace, dagger might be better. Maybe you can keep the hair looking like the way it is.. in windy conditions for background details would be a nice addition for that.

I don't know... maybe it's just that heavy weapons like that being in mid air (like a bouncy thing) like that in such a pose just doesn't go down well with me but anyways it still very well drawn and good.

Naisart
04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi,
I like concept and I really like the rendering so far.
Some things I noticed though:

Have you tried flipping the image horizontally? As we read images from left to right this may work better for your image but I donīt think this is a major thing.

I think you should push the midtones more and darken the overall image. Right now some places are very dark and som places very bright.

His right leg looks kind of small compared to his left one. As he lives in the mountains I would pressume he has strong legs. Overall I think you could make his muscles bigger but especially his legs.

His head could probably be a little bit bigger and you should push his eye back into the head.
Also, how did he get his hand through the metal buckles(?) ? :)

Hope this helps! As I said I really like it, keep working on it.

Nanuke-Beta
04-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Aloriael and Mumphy,

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Aloriael:

I agree a more developed upper leg especially would look more in keeping with the story behind it. The doublended mace has been pulled back while he battles through the wind and weather in general. So yes i agree with the wind thing too. I like the pose as it is like almost slow motion in the wind and mace readying for action. Your thoughts are taken on board.

Mumphy:

I want people to read the mace and hair first for the motion yet see he is battling forwards in the wind so flipping may not be right but that is just me. Did not notice the leg but now you mention it it does look smaller so i will correct that, thanks. I think i need to put the eyes back like you said and agree totally that the sheild holdings are wrong as they are leather yet could never get his hands through them anyway, again well spotted and that will help. This is only rough as i am going to paint it but will make amendments asap and as soon as i have finished the imagine fx entry for teh 26th.

Thanks again,

Neil

Nanuke-Beta
04-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi,

Can anyone else suggest or comment on what they think of this?

Thanks,
Neil

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2006, 09:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.