PDA

View Full Version : light blotches

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 06:27 AM
hey guys,
this is my first post here at cgtalk but i have just one quick question. what the hell are those rounded blotches in my scene!!!??? i am fully aware that it is related to my GI settings for i removed my textures except for the walls and floor but i have no idea what those blotches mean or how to fix it.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/601/interior6nv.th.jpg (http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=interior6nv.jpg)

cheers

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 07:36 AM
nevermind. its fixed. i just swtiched from standard to stochastic mode instead. just one more question though. where is the calculate dirt function. the manual says it's under render but i cant see it there.

cheers

AdamT
04-19-2006, 12:28 PM
What version are you using? In 9.5, "Dirt" has been replaced by global AO and AO shaders.

The splotches in your first render are the result of inadequate samples. Before you resort to stochastic mode (very slow), you might want to experiment with some of the settings in the standard GI dialogue.

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 12:54 PM
im using 9.5. thanks for pointing that out. as for the splotches, how am i going to fix it if i dont know which one to fix? thanks for your help so far.

cheers

AdamT
04-19-2006, 12:56 PM
im using 9.5. thanks for pointing that out. as for the splotches, how am i going to fix it if i dont know which one to fix? thanks for your help so far.

cheers
Well, "insufficient samples" might have been a clue. How are we supposed to help you if you don't post your current settings? :)

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 01:11 PM
sorry about that. here it is.

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 01:15 PM
actually. i'll just throw in my whole scene file.

ThirdEye
04-19-2006, 01:25 PM

lol, your min/max res settings are inverted

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 01:28 PM
:blush:opps for one. uh im pretty sure i've seen some other guy do the same and it came out alright for another. but still oops.:blush:

Jorge Arango
04-19-2006, 01:32 PM

Accuracy at 50% is OK for test renders but should be more like 70% for final.

Prepass should be 1/1 or 1/2.

Diffuse depth of 1 might be enough for this scene.

Stochastic samples: 500 could be a good starting point.

You should invert your min and max samples as a starting point. That's the main problem with your settings.

Hope this helps,

Jorge Arango

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 01:47 PM
well i changed the min/max settings. but i have just one question. what happened to my shadows?? my render now looks so dull. it was way better before even with the blotches it looked better. thanks for your help so far.

cheer guys

AdamT
04-19-2006, 01:52 PM
I concur with Jorge, but I'd use a bigger differential between Min and Max to start--something like Min: 30, Max: 150.

Also, change your recalculate settings from "First Time" to "Always". Otherwise you won't see the effect of your changes. And, no need to save the solution until you get something you like.

Tip: find the areas with the worst artifacts and use Render Region on those areas as you test your settings--will save you from having to recalculate the whole image with each change.

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 01:54 PM
i'll give it a try and i'll put up my best and see how it goes. thanks!:thumbsup:

cheers

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 01:58 PM
just one more question though for now. how am i going to solve my problem with the shadow. l left the shadow settings in my light as the default. insensity of the light is set to 500% on the main source with an area shadow and volumetric visibility. oh and uh i also have one low intensity omni light with no shadow in the interior. thanks for all your help so far guys.

cheers

AdamT
04-19-2006, 02:06 PM
just one more question though for now. how am i going to solve my problem with the shadow. l left the shadow settings in my light as the default. insensity of the light is set to 500% on the main source with an area shadow and volumetric visibility. oh and uh i also have one low intensity omni light with no shadow in the interior. thanks for all your help so far guys.

cheers
Your geometry is all screwed up. Delete the Windows object and you'll see that there are actually no holes in the wall where the widows are supposed to be--so no light is coming in from outside. Also, your windows are about a foot thick which is a tad excessive. :)

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 02:20 PM
i've thrown in the windows into a boolean with the wall object. i think my problem is that the object is a result from an extruded spline cause i can see interlacing like in crossings all overmy wall object.

AdamT
04-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Oops, how did I miss that? Anyway, yeah, booleans can create some ugly geometry. Better to model it by hand if it's something basic like this.

AdamT
04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
After further review.... I changed the parallel spot to an infinite light and adjusted the intensity. Lowered the intensity of the interior omni. Adjusted the GI settings. Moved the table so the legs aren't penetrating the floor. Mmm, I think that's it. Looks like a decent starting point to me.

coldbrynx
04-19-2006, 03:16 PM
woow. now that's something. thanks!:bowdown: i'll look at it.i'll just lower the intensity and then i can add my oterh objects. there's just one more problem im having. i dont think my boolean funtion isn't working properly. this is what my boolean structure looks like

Boolean:
Wall(created a new cube for it)
Windows( created a new cube for it as well)

and then i just used a - b. the weird thing is that this subtraction doesnt seem to be hapenning. i can do every other subtraction but this. like i can still see the windows even though i chose a subtract b with the above structure. am i missing somethig here?

coldbrynx
04-20-2006, 01:41 AM
ok. this may sound really stupid but how did you connect the 2 cube together. did you use the connect funtion or the bridge tool?

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2006, 01:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.