PDA

View Full Version : cable rigging

ravenger373
04-19-2006, 06:12 AM
hi ive been working on a model of general grievous from star wars for quite some time now
as you might know he has quite a few greebly wires and cables in his neck
now my question is does anyone know of a good way to rig those cables when he moves his neck and in such a way that they dont go through each other.

i'm using maya 6.

thanks.
Alex

underearth
04-19-2006, 12:06 PM
i haven't seen bu myself.. but.. cgtk has one art of rigging volume 2 .. it has brodly covered problem faced by u..

try that.. well there is no way to stop collusion between wires unless both are dynamic..

try if u are using maya unlimited... make wires attached to hair object and set collusion options .. try that..its just an idea..

ravenger373
04-19-2006, 04:44 PM
thanks i will try what you said
if anyone else has any suggestions or tutorial links please feel free to post them

thanks
Alex

Bonedaddy
04-19-2006, 04:51 PM
You can model them and then make them a softbody with goaled ends, or you can use a jiggle deformer. Either way works, but the cgTkDynChain method, using hair follicles, is the most elegant and produces the best results.

ravenger373
04-22-2006, 03:08 PM
ok does anyone know of a tutorial where i can find out how to do that hair technique or something similar or is anyone here kind enoegh to tell me how

(note i still only have a basic understanding of the animation menu so dont forget to include in wich menu i can find them) << this is asuming your willing to type up how to do it

thanks
Alex

Pickman
09-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Heya bonedaddy, sorry to hijack the thread but my cgTkDynChain.mel doesn't seem to work with maya 8.0 anymore, is there an update somewhere ?

THX a lot

falkaholic
01-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Heya bonedaddy, sorry to hijack the thread but my cgTkDynChain.mel doesn't seem to work with maya 8.0 anymore, is there an update somewhere ?

THX a lot

if you change the call to makeCurvesDynamicHairs to something like makeCurvesDynamicHairs (1,1,1) it still works but the control is in a weird place. I just fiddled with this for a second, I'm sure if you try and change the parameter around you can find it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2007, 08:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.