PDA

View Full Version : TOPIC SUGGESTIONS

Pages : 1 [2] 3

barrab
06-15-2008, 06:33 AM
What about comic tribute. I would love to see batman or the green lanten.

Shocklate
06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I want the Comic Tribute, or the SteamPunk one. Lets make it happen.

ANasir
07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Steampunk sounds fantastic... I would also be interested in the action hero challenge Roberto mentioned at one point.

RobertoOrtiz
07-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I want the Comic Tribute, or the SteamPunk one. Lets make it happen.
Funny that you mention steampunk...
:)

DDS
07-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Funny that you mention steampunk...
:)

that made my heart beat faster

RockstarKate
07-19-2008, 04:24 PM
The 12 signs of the Zodiac would make a good challenge with varying levels of difficulty and many ways of interpretation. The challenge could be to choose one with the option of making all 12.

I made a version with Spore creatures here:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/rockstarkate/sporoscopeBW_web.jpg?t=1216484803

anarkis
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
UO steampunk is very good!

bioshock is a very reference :D

Jawabiscuit
07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
The 12 signs of the Zodiac would make a good challenge with varying levels of difficulty and many ways of interpretation. The challenge could be to choose one with the option of making all 12.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/rockstarkate/sporoscopeBW_web.jpg?t=1216484803

Very nice idea. I must say that the zodiac contains some wonderfully inspiring characters!

Intervain
07-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I was lately thinking of chess as a cool theme... lots of nice stuff [castles, kings, queens, bishops, knights, towers and what not]... just an idea...

majid-smiley
09-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Ecorche is a great topic...i really love to do this one...
and Classic drawing and sculptures from great artists like michaelangelo, raphael...could be veryusefull and amazing subject...

SinisterUrge
09-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I think designing a chess set would be an excellent challenge, something I'd love to participate in

DogBreath
09-25-2008, 05:49 AM
I like the chess one and also I would like to suggest the Star Wars (hologram) chess set that R2 and Chewy play.

Boone
10-08-2008, 08:57 PM
After the usual Halloween HMC I would like to request a new HMC...

Extreme music band!

...which I think could have a lot of potential. Solo artist, band or maybe a duet. The twist - and challenge would be to add a bit of fantasy, sci-fi or even horror to the piece.

DrGast
10-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I think something like: the 7 world wonders can be a great topic...

OvidiusTiberius
10-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I like the Zodiac idea ,and another good one could be the Ancient Olymp legends and heroes.Choose an hero or a god and model it in your own imagination way.:)

xLonewolfx
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
classic gaming

Mechs are always nice

underwater mystery

modelling the CGtalk smillies :D could get fun

cartoons

childhood hero

BenDstraw
10-18-2008, 11:27 PM
BeastWars

organic creatures that transform into cool robots sounds pretty hardcore to me:scream:.

robo3687
10-19-2008, 01:56 AM
classic gaming

i think that one could be quite good....doing like realistic version of classic game characters....i reckon mario vs bowser could look quite awesome....

nickvandiem
10-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey guys,

This coming challenge will be my first ever so sort of just wanted to say hello - I have been watching the Starwars SteamPunk concepts and they look amazing – the talent here is most impressive... intimidated much! ah yes :)

Is Rob taking suggestions for HCM#18 - I assume this is what the thread does? Abstract – Escher would be interesting? Nice mix of hard/soft modelling available depending on the constraints!

Anyway this post is more to say hi to you lot! Look forward to learning a thing or two of you chaps – I’m somewhat new to modelling so this will be a great experience.

Cheers,
Nick.

MrJames
11-01-2008, 04:08 PM
So Roberto whats the next challenge ? :p

nickvandiem
11-03-2008, 02:22 PM
...the suspense is killing me!

pawatkin
11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
make a fully realized 3d model of your favorite shmup arcade spaceship

http://http://shmups.classicgaming.gamespy.com/xenocidefiles.html

Great idea, I might just do this one anyway. Challenge or not.

samsanca
11-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi all,

I have been admiring you guys making astonishing art for years, and as an amator, I just would like to suggest themes like old tv series (my favorite would be the 6 million dollar man, but that's just me :) ) but we also have "Starsky &Hutch", "Man from Atlantis", Dallas and what not.

Keep up the good work !

tuckerhcool
11-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I kinda think your wanting the kind of realism that is being shown in the emily video on YouTube

KillaRilla
11-18-2008, 02:14 AM
I think a rad topic would be the 7 deadly sins.

Tranimatronic
11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Fantastic creatures/Mundane Jobs.
do you really think that there are no checkout girls at the Safeway in Rivendell ?
do you think there are no dustbin men in Mordor?
do you think that at one time Jabba the Hut flipped burgers at McDee's ?
imagine Judge Dredd as a diner waitress.......

this would incorporate the character and immediate environment design and modelling.

Id LOVE to see what some of the guys/gals from this forum would make of this idea.

T

Digitool
11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
monster sports.

creature wearing football gear or playing hockey or something like that.

buryme
12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Megaman bosses

Possibly steampunked? That seems to be a trend lately... hehe

eyeayen
12-03-2008, 08:08 AM
monster sports.

creature wearing football gear or playing hockey or something like that.

Games Workshop did a game like that in their universe called "BLOOD BOWL", characters are exactly as you described !

simjoy
12-03-2008, 08:34 AM
do you think that at one time Jabba the Hut flipped burgers at McDee's ?everyone knows that he used to work at his family run Pizza chain .. :D

mind you, i see a lot of people who could be related to Jabba in my local McD ..

some good ideas here for the future .. im sure Roberto has a very long list by now ...

TwoOneOne
12-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Games Workshop did a game like that in their universe called "BLOOD BOWL", characters are exactly as you described !

YAY Blood Bowl!

hehe, still have this one somewhere in my cupboard. nice game. and it would certainly be a very good theme for a upcoming HMC.

Cheers

Boone
12-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Crikey, I remember Blood Bowl - along with Hero Quest, Space Crusade and Space Hulk. Those were the days...

Perhaps we could do a challenge that invites us to recreate a scene from a tabletop or RPG game we have played. This could cover D&D, Gamesworkshop, classic Wargames and so on. We wouldn't just recreate minitures but the characters they represent and the situations they have been placed in. For example, in a game of Space Hulk the player sacrificed one of his space marines to delay Genestealers whilst the rest of his team attempt to evacuate to safety. Or in a game of Dungeons & Dragons, a player with an elf character had a good chin-wag with a friendly Dragon whom provided some vital information...

Digitool
12-12-2008, 02:33 AM
I have unfortunately not heard of Blood Bowl.

Here is an idea, I don't know if it is too vague or anything, but how about custom chess peices?

You can make them anything, characters or just abstracts, full set of pawns, rooks, knights bishop etc. You can have them engaged or just sitting at default.

eyeayen
12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Customer chess pieces is a great idea ! If the simpsons can do it why can't we ???

Blood Bowl was great, so was Space Hulk, good call Boone ! Anyone remember Dark Future - Mad Max style game !

MarioGuillermo
04-14-2009, 10:03 PM
How about alternate history subjects? Sort of fantasy based on historical fact. The possibilities would be endless. Just a thought.

Demiguise
04-15-2009, 10:04 PM
do you mean like "What if the HMS Venerable had laser guns?"

Light86
04-18-2009, 10:08 AM
How about a bring anime to life challenge, you choose your anime, and the challenge is to make them look as real as you can, make them look how you would imagine if they existed in our world.

Light86
04-18-2009, 10:10 AM
How about a challenge where you try to show a social event in the year 2086.

"2086"

Light86
04-18-2009, 10:14 AM
The darkness, a challenge where you try to give famous anime/cartoon characters a darker or more evil or goth feel to them.

Nothingness
04-19-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm kinda waiting for the next challenge to finally compete again.

And know i'm looking through these suggestions, i was looking for something more original and farther away from the past challenges.

What if: We were given 10 pictures of forum leaders, and have to pick 1 to transform him/her into a "half animal / half forum leader" kind of creature. One that could be used in "Narnia XIII" the helloween special.

Could be fun :)

robo3687
04-19-2009, 01:39 AM
don't know what subject this would go with but its more a practical suggestion...

for a future challenge how about have some limitations on what you can use to create your entry

like either an all poly modeling challenge (i'd love one of those...) or an all zbrush/mudbox challenge?

just a thought

waterlilly
04-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Maybe art deco inspired character/costume/vehicle/decorative object (complex)?

Another thought was a botanical study of some kind, or a terrarium.

Pet and master- could be human or imaginary (alien/spirit/fantasy/futuristic).

I thought the zodiac suggestion a couple pages back was a good one. Maybe pick a hindu god/ess to model? I'd love to model Kali or Varuna.

The zodiac suggestion a few pages back was also a good one.

shin4
04-19-2009, 05:06 PM

I like this idea~ sounds interesting~

RageOfAges
04-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Pet and master- could be human or imaginary (alien/spirit/fantasy/futuristic).

An expansion off of this idea could be something like "People who look like their pets" or simply "people who look like things".

You would have to model a pet (or an object) then model a character that had the same characteristics.

-Rage

MysticDread
04-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Just thought of a neat idea (I apologize if it had already been suggested - I have not read all 20 pages)

Your Favorite Song / Band / Album

Would lead to some neat abstract models of the emotions of music as well as models of band members themselves. I've been thinking about modeling 3 dioramas picturing/representing the 3 main songs of Pink Floyd's Animals for years...

JasonTonks
04-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Subject: FUNNY

I want to laugh. Make me laugh.

RageOfAges
04-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Here you go Tuna.

http://incarna.andablog.com/2007/10/02/Dog-Fluffy_Destroyer_of_worlds.png

MarioGuillermo
04-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Is he psychic, or just psychokinetic? Looks like he could do lots of damage.

Razzen
04-20-2009, 05:28 PM
one word

SNOWGLOBES!

That would be awesome. :) We could create whatever "mini-worlds" we wanted.

Intervain
04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
don't know what subject this would go with but its more a practical suggestion...

for a future challenge how about have some limitations on what you can use to create your entry

like either an all poly modeling challenge (i'd love one of those...) or an all zbrush/mudbox challenge?

just a thought

I don't see a point of a limitation like that... it's just tools and it shouldn't matter which ones an artist uses to complete their project... the whole 'old school' idea's annoying to me especially that zbrush user more often than not build a proper mesh in the end as well..

just my 2 cents...

I'd love to compete in the end 2 and waiting for something inspiring btw... I like the band/artist thing...

RageOfAges
04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't see a point of a limitation like that... it's just tools and it shouldn't matter which ones an artist uses to complete their project... the whole 'old school' idea's annoying to me especially that zbrush user more often than not build a proper mesh in the end as well..

just my 2 cents...

I'd love to compete in the end 2 and waiting for something inspiring btw... I like the band/artist thing...

It is my opinion that these challenges are in place to develop/practice/learn skills. An all poly challenge or all sculpting challenge would be targeted at developing/practicing/learning a Specific area of the creation process. I believe that is the point that Rob was making.

The "Old School" idea has nothing to do with it. Rob suggested an all poly or all sculpting challenge. There is no sculpting in the "Old School".

-Rage

menthol
04-21-2009, 12:54 PM
I think you misunderstood Intervain, Rage. Me thinks like that as well, no need to waste time on modeling characters and stuff. But, either way, it's your choice, you can to create anything with whatever you'd like to get experience... At the end, it's you who wanted and got better at Poly Modeling, doesn't matter if someone else use sculpting tools or plugins.

Anyway, there are only-poly stuff like 30 objs in 30 days / cutaway challenges...

Intervain
04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
It is my opinion that these challenges are in place to develop/practice/learn skills. An all poly challenge or all sculpting challenge would be targeted at developing/practicing/learning a Specific area of the creation process. I believe that is the point that Rob was making.

The "Old School" idea has nothing to do with it. Rob suggested an all poly or all sculpting challenge. There is no sculpting in the "Old School".

-Rage

naturally but you can poly model and still use zbrush...any restrictions in terms of tools are silly IMHO - in terms of poly count that'd be different. But what he said is in my opinion equal to saying - let's all use Max and f! Maya or XSI for this challenge:shrug:

robo3687
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
naturally but you can poly model and still use zbrush...any restrictions in terms of tools are silly IMHO - in terms of poly count that'd be different. But what he said is in my opinion equal to saying - let's all use Max and f! Maya or XSI for this challenge:shrug:

okay, here's what i meant by what i said

the premise of these challenges has always been to simulate the deadlines within a production environment...."create x amount of assets in x days". So, my suggestion was that for a future challenge add a few more stipulations, like "only use poly modeling to create your asset".

My thinking behind this is that by forcing people to use poly modeling that they will be able improve their skills in that area, and lets face it poly modeling is a pretty large part of the base of 3d. I see people all the time who model a bad base mesh and take it into zbrush and wonder why they can't make art out of it...garbage in garbage out....

I'm just trying to think of ways to shake things up a bit and help people to develop and learn base skills....

Intervain
04-21-2009, 03:53 PM
yeah but isn't that the same if they're allowed to use zbrush and just retopo the 'bad mesh' at the end? I mean over here the general idea is always to show a mesh in the final entry so I see no difference between your proposition and what we already have in HMC

RageOfAges
04-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Intervain it was just a suggestion he made, posted in the topic suggestion thread. If ever the challenge comes up and you don't like it, don't participate.

-Rage

Intervain
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
yeah he made a suggestion and all I said is that we already have that

WyattHarris
04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Oi, not the poly vs. sculpting discussion again. I know, I know its not exactly the same discussion but still, I don't like limitations on tools. Use the tool that works. If the challenge is all poly, like Rage said I simply won't enter. Poly modeling organics bores me to tears.

Intervain
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with Wyatt on this, it should be more about your final product not how you got there. People have to realize that the dichotomy of modeling has changed partly due to zbrush. At one point all models where done with nurbs, and then people switched to poly modeling. I dont see anyone trying to go back to nurbs any time soon. so forcing your self to stick to old modling styles is silly. you always have to update it, name it, rate it, tune it, print it, and repeat! As far as topology is concerned it is only a technalaty when it comes to animation.

Precisely!

mcteapot
04-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I agree with Wyatt on this, it should be more about your final product not how you got there. People have to realize that the dichotomy of modeling has changed partly due to zbrush. At one point all models where done with nurbs, and then people switched to poly modeling. I don't see anyone trying to go back to nurbs any time soon. So forcing your self to stick to old modeling styles is silly. You always have to update it, name it, rate it, tune it, print it, and repeat! As far as topology is concerned it is only a technicality when it comes to animation.

For topic suggestions: I would like to see a Star Trek one!

maje3d
04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Supposedley, I thought a Transformers one was going to take place before the premier of the new movie, and considering that debuts in June/July......

mnartgirl
04-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Hey I know I am new to this and all and this may be to broad of a topic. But what about testing our imaginations. Give a single nonsense word example. Boaralugger. then we have to come up with a project and a Dictionary definition. (I think there was a game like this)

If that is to broad maybe slim it down by setting a genre. "Funny" or "Historic"

RageOfAges
04-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Hey I know I am new to this and all and this may be to broad of a topic. But what about testing our imaginations. Give a single nonsense word example. Boaralugger. then we have to come up with a project and a Dictionary definition. (I think there was a game like this)

If that is to broad maybe slim it down by setting a genre. "Funny" or "Historic"

This is a very original and interesting idea. I like this a lot.

-Rage

robo3687
04-22-2009, 06:20 AM
okay apologies for stirring up the poly vs sculpting debate again...lol

on another note i just thought of something quite different for a challenge

how about a tribute to the Utah Teapot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Teapot

Everyone could be tasked with making the most outlandish and/or detailed themed teapot they can.

The Utah Teapot is such an important part of 3d history I reckon it'd be cool to base a challenge on it.

scottimation
04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
The Zodiac suggestion sounds like a great topic. It gives a lot of freedom for interpretation of design.

WyattHarris
04-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Whats on the list? 80's cartoons bumped whatever was going to be next, although that was a great decision.

RageOfAges
04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I believe Roberto had it narrowed down to:

1 face/12 expressions

Anatomy cutaway (ecorche)

Both sound like loads of fun, however seeing as there has been a cutaway recently, I would lean more towards 1 face/12 expression. I have the impression that R wants to do something a little more artistic and technical after the 80's cartoon challenge.

-Rage

energise
04-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I know i´d like a short, really hardcore challenge! =P would be great with just viewportrenders and lots of detail!

Airflow
04-23-2009, 08:41 AM
What about creating your interpertation of the Atlas, holding up the earth on his sholder.

Reepoman
04-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Streamliner Challenge

"A streamliner is any vehicle that incorporates streamlining to produce a shape that provides less resistance to air. The term is most often applied to certain high-speed railway trainsets of the 1930s to 1950s"

Streamliner Explained (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamliner)

PeterR
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Maybe hardcore snowman ?:D
- model(s)/figure(s) that look like made from snow/ice :)

Intervain
04-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I love the zodiac idea...

Airflow
04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Model somthing art deco, can be anything aslong as its got 1920-30's style.

JasonTonks
04-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Alright enough talking. Lets get a decision and start this already. I'll do whatever, all I want is a challenge. héhéh.

Is it going to start on the 1st of May?

Impatient, am I.:sad:

robo3687
04-25-2009, 03:15 AM
well its either going to be human cutaway or 1 face 12 expressions......the face one seems to be winning in terms of user wants......and i hope it does win cos I really wanna do it.....

i hope it starts soon too....

razeverius
04-25-2009, 12:15 PM
dang that topic will be interesting, hope it pushes through

axiomatic
04-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Supposedley, I thought a Transformers one was going to take place before the premier of the new movie, and considering that debuts in June/July......

I second this!

... although I might be a little biased since the author of the new Transformer comic books is a close personal friend and I'd love to give him the gift of his own car turning into one of his beloved robot heroes :)

Hell, if you wanted to make the challenge interesting I could provide a bunch of reference and everyone could try to turn the car into a transformer. It'd be interesting to see all the methods and influences invoked *halo*

But really, any challenge would be fine at this point and 1 face 12 expressions would be good for me to do (it's an identified area of weakness) even if I don't really want to do it from the outset.

JasonTonks
04-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Definitely not to be impolite, but transformers is a big ''please NO''.

But I do like the idea of creating a character or environment inspired from one of the upcoming blockbusters of this summer!!!

#19 - HARDCORE MODELING!: 80's Cartoon: G.I. JOE Wild Bill (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=744901)

bowly
04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm just going to throw out pirates and ninjas, that seems like a fun topic i could get my teeth into :D

MarioGuillermo
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I was thinking, with the new Star Trek movie coming out, how about a Starship design competition, since the one in the movie is a disappointment for many.

VirusREdSox
05-03-2009, 02:47 AM
what about legos, you can make anything you want with they, could be interesting, and everybody loves legos!

foxco
05-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Gang,

How about Monks as a modeling topic. Fiction or non fiction from past present or future.

DogBreath
05-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Urban Myths/Legends. Character, Diorama or Video.

littlebangs
05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
How about

(1) Cartoon from current affairs.
(2) Simulation of happenings (Cycle Of Baby Birth, Before/After Accidents, even it may be normal life styles)
(3) Caricature of celeberaties.
(4) New Ideas (sur realism, creatings character models with profile of text/words/sentence)

DogBreath
05-30-2009, 03:49 AM
Frank Frazetta

farazmobin
06-13-2009, 06:21 AM
how about modeling food. burgers,fries,fried chicken,pasta,pan cakes,salads, ice creams, cakes etc...hmmmm

id personally go with FriED Chicken With some Haut Sauce and Grape Juice and Watermelon to top it off :)

jojo1975
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
I think that we should have an alternance of hard surface modelling / organic modelling or at least a topic that will involve both. We talked a lot in the lighting challenge forum about a Blade Runner challenge..why not modelling something of BR universe ?

and what about a topic chosen from a game ? Resident evil challenge ? Star craft ? Duke nukem :)))

TiMrozek
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
OH yeah, I love the idea of doing our own hardcore, hi detailed versions of star craft characters, or other such games.

EdtheHobbit
06-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Howww about... ultra-realistic versions of really simple cartoon characters (like Samurai Jack, etc.)

Orrrrrr, how about they have to incorporate four unrelated adjectives, such as "spiky, diseased, adorable, flat" into one creation. Let 'em sweat.

If you want something diabolically difficult, have them model a 3d self-portrait, then have their mothers judge the quality. They'll never win.

I look forward to seeing what comes out of these in the future!

varunbondwal
06-21-2009, 04:03 PM
What about the characters of JRR Tolkien.. that would consist of Lord of the rings and fantasy creatures in his other books

JM-art
06-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Frank Frazetta, and LOTR characters ...i realy like those.

Animals or dinosaurs could be a choice too.

And if the idea is to make something funny and creative, what about doing a criature that is a mix of 3 (or more) diferent animals/plants:eek: .

Cheers.

Intervain
06-22-2009, 11:55 PM
LOTR sounds great :) but I'd rather it was our interpretation than just a copy of the movie characters...

Airflow
06-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Me too, somthin original based more on the books.
Id vote for doing a portrait of Smaug the dragon from the Hobbit.

JM-art
06-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes, that´s what i was thinking of at least, much more interesting and challenging that making copies!

In the case of Frazetta, imo, the challenge would be to making the translation from the 2d to the 3d in an accurate way.

Phrenzy84
06-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I just wanted to post a suggestion in terms of the way the contest is handled. (hope im not stepping out of my bounds :)).

But when it comes time to voting and it gets plugged. Maybe its not the best idea to use a contest entry as the image to show. I get the feeling its almost persuading people (unintentionally) to vote for that image. I know your probably just looking for a good image to attach with the vote, but a few times it has been the winning entry (even though its justified), but it seems a little biased.

I would say why not have the original image used to promote the challenge or another image that isnt part of the challenge to plug with the announcement.

I'm only speaking as if i was one of the entries and then to see one of the entrants image used to promote the challenge they are in.

Hope this isn't just me being too sensitive :).

Great contests by the way, i never find the time, but i should make time to enter. :)

Intervain
06-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I just wanted to post a suggestion in terms of the way the contest is handled. (hope im not stepping out of my bounds :)).

But when it comes time to voting and it gets plugged. Maybe its not the best idea to use a contest entry as the image to show. I get the feeling its almost persuading people (unintentionally) to vote for that image. I know your probably just looking for a good image to attach with the vote, but a few times it has been the winning entry (even though its justified), but it seems a little biased.

I would say why not have the original image used to promote the challenge or another image that isnt part of the challenge to plug with the announcement.

I'm only speaking as if i was one of the entries and then to see one of the entrants image used to promote the challenge they are in.

Great contests by the way, i never find the time, but i should make time to enter. :) I can talk based on past contests that very often I was swayed towards the plug image. I think it's just subconscious since we know the plug to be something top notch quality and it always is anyway so yeah you've got a point there! I don't mind seeing those on the front page in the least but I agree about the influence even if not intended :)

eyeayen
06-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I agree in the respect that there probably is some subliminal messaging going on, perhaps not entirely intentional, maybe just the image the mod feels encompasses the challenge best...

The rules don't seem to be adhered to completely ever though, this is a hardcore MODELLING challenge, yet most of them are always textured and this must influence the voting, so either the current rules need revising and the challenge gets renamed Ultimate 3D Champion maybe ? Or it's modded stricter in the respect of it's only wires and clay renders all the way through, if people want to texture it should be saved until after the challenge has finished so not to sway the vote any more !

energise
06-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I agree in the respect that there probably is some subliminal messaging going on, perhaps not entirely intentional, maybe just the image the mod feels encompasses the challenge best...

The rules don't seem to be adhered to completely ever though, this is a hardcore MODELLING challenge, yet most of them are always textured and this must influence the voting, so either the current rules need revising and the challenge gets renamed Ultimate 3D Champion maybe ? Or it's modded stricter in the respect of it's only wires and clay renders all the way through, if people want to texture it should be saved until after the challenge has finished so not to sway the vote any more !

I totally agree! The rules say no textures but all so often this gets thrown aside along the way, and becomes a contest of "how makes the prettiest picture".
Im not saying it´s a BAD thing just that it would be sweet with a claysculpting contest sometime =P yay to clay! :D

RobertoOrtiz
06-24-2009, 07:26 PM

And about the textures,
the rules on both the voting and posting state that this is a modeling challenge.
But again if people want to texture a model, I have no problem with that as long as an untextured version of the model is posted also.

Great contests by the way, i never find the time, but i should make time to enter. :)
I understand your frustrations,
But keep in mind that I have to take a "looong" view of the challenges.
The reason an entry is plugged when the voting thread is posted is to give a
sneak preview to the community of the work on the thread.

I need to make sure that a hiogh number of people will come in and spend some time voting on these threads. This means that I have to make sure that there is a good hook for the plug.

And that has to be one of the entries.

Yes sometimes the voting plug wins, but thank god it is usually NOT the norm.

-R

Intervain
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I totally agree! The rules say no textures but all so often this gets thrown aside along the way, and becomes a contest of "how makes the prettiest picture".
Im not saying it´s a BAD thing just that it would be sweet with a claysculpting contest sometime =P yay to clay! :D

seconded :)

Yes sometimes the voting plug wins, but thank god it is usually NOT the norm.

-R

ok then good enough for me :)

TiMrozek
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Not that it inluenced anyone on this contest but apologies for texturing if that is a no-no. I didn't see anywhere that it said you can't texture, just have seen people do it so I partially textured mine. I just assume this community is able to look past it. I really don't care whether texturing is included or not as long as it doesn't completely change the look of the model and make it hard for people to view just the model.

Anyway, still had plenty of fun on this contest and I'd be all for tightening up the rules. But hey, they're tighter here than the lighting challenge where I've seen people submit completely different scenes than the one put forth. Not trying to say the lighting challenge isn't great too, but I think the HMC runs a tighter ship than the other mini's.

JM-art
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Maybe it could be a "best model", and a "best beauty render" categorie. One of the two being the more important.

I.E. for best model, a gray shader with ambient occlusion and without too overworked render or shaders.

For the beauty render all would be valid though;) .

These are suggestions for next challenges, i have nothing to say about actual or past challenges...except that these challenges are a very positive thing for those of us that want to improve their modeling skills and to share with others...having a great feedback.

Cheers.

varunbondwal
06-28-2009, 09:21 AM
In my opinion texturing should be not allowed at all, this is because most persons view the image as a whole, and if they like it they may vote for it as a whole. I dont think anyone would strain their mind to visualize how the model would look without any textures on it.
The name 'HARDCORE' modeling is itself against texturing.

tuckerhcool
06-28-2009, 09:43 AM
i tend to agree with the texturing issue. But if we are splitting hairs then shouldnt zbrushing be taken out as well since it is sculpting and not necessarily modeling

varunbondwal
06-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Isnt sculpting is also a part of modeling. Although its not subdivision modeling but as long as its related to the creation of the model, it should be modeling. I dont know if any such division formally exists between sculpting and modeling, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

And back to the topic suggestions... I think LOTR would really bring out some great entries.

tuckerhcool
06-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I believe the difference is in technique, with sculpting you are painting.

modeling - the act of representing something (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/modeling)

the whole point of the challenge is to realistically represent a subject to the best of your abilities. Honestly, even tho I don't find texturing to be connected to hardcore modeling it is apart of the process to truly represent a subject. last time i saw a person that was entirely gray was at a flea market and he had a top hat....the work that people put into these challenges is inspiring and beautiful i don't think it would be the same if texturing was taken out of it, nor do i think it would have such a following.

Quoting the most recent challenge rules:

There are THREE ways to participate:

REALISITC INTERPRETATION OF A PERSON
For this type of entry you can do an original interpretation of a real life person. It can be a self portrait or a representation of your favorite celebrity,
Some examples:

Show us your self portrait with full expressions when you were 5 years old.
Show us a 3d representation of your mother.
Show us a bust of John Wayne in all his glory

CARTOON CHARACTER
For this type of entry you can do the facial expressions of a cartoon character. The character can be you own creation or a tribute to a established character (please mention the company that created the character in your entry)
Some examples:

ANIMAL REPRESENTATION
For this type of entry you can do an original recreation of the facial expression of an animal in our CURRENT animal kingdom
Some examples:
Show us your a chimpanzee emoting
Show us a polar bear emoting

http://www.urbancircus.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/human_statue.jpg.w300h400.jpg

energise
06-28-2009, 02:47 PM
In my opinion the latest expression challenge was a real feast for the eyes, pure clay renders.. no fuss.

But that´s just because i love the raw forms and marks of the claybrushes =P

Think "hardcore sculpting challenge" would be awesome, but still allow polymodeling since it is a vital part of the sculpting ;)

Would love to exchange alphas and cool tricks!

/cheers

SaurabhCG
06-28-2009, 06:01 PM
hi people i am new in this forum ..actually i am old member but didn't used it regular ...so can anyone tell me when will be the next HMC ??

Intervain
06-28-2009, 10:34 PM
that hasn't been announced yet :)

AndreKling
07-07-2009, 06:44 AM
I imagine that it has been suggested already, but anyway, i just thought this morning that a HMC about the king of pop would be a cool topic. It would be great since everybody would be working on the same subject, but could lend to many different aproaches since MJ has changed alot during the years. I think it could be a cool homnage to a great artist.
Andre

SinisterUrge
07-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Too much of a big deal is made about him, he was a paedophile after all.

How about a tribute to all the soldiers around the world, I think we should pay tribute to those men and women putting their lives on the line. It doesn't has to be marines, but can be UN peacekeeping soldiers. Or any members of society who are unsung heroes, we could have a competition where we design awards for those people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/michael-jackson/5755346/US-Congressman-says-Michael-Jackson-was-paedophile-and-pervert.html

AndreKling
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
It was never proved he was a pedophile, and even if he was doesnt take the fact that he was a great artist that changed the world. MJ changed the way video clips were made and this has a big impact in our industry nowadays. If you believe everything the politicians in your country says, soon we will be banning games for its raise violence among kids...
Im not saying he was a good or bad person, just saying he was a great artist and could be fun to make him a homnage.
The soldiers idea is cool too, the only thing i think is that there is sooooo many soldiers on 3d already, but i wouldnt mind making one aswell.

JM-art
07-07-2009, 05:08 PM
MJ...i don't think so, its a very personal choice and i don't think everybody likes him, me for example.

It was never proved he was a pedophile, and even if he was doesnt take the fact that he was a great artist that changed the world.

Maybe the frase should be:

It was never proved he was a pedophile, but if he was...we should not make a HMC based on his figure, even if he was a great artist.

Intervain
07-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Too much of a big deal is made about him, he was a paedophile after all.

not guilty until proven so - he was acquitted of all charges!

personally I'm a huge fan so I love the idea ;)

Bukti
07-27-2009, 06:12 AM
how about Dragon Ball characters, they are quite interesting.

uinku
08-06-2009, 04:04 AM
Just throwing some ideas out.

I saw a link on here for a class where the project was to pick a character from an old school game and update them for current gen games. I didn't get a chance to take the class, so I was planning to do this on my own.

Create a character/scene/vehicle from a historic period. For realistic characters, this could include historically accurate costuming. The divisions could be soldier, royalty, commoner etc.

Comic book movies very popular today. Model the next big superhero or create your own.

Model a character/creature from myth, legend, or folklore.

vikramvr
08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Some suggestions:

1. Villians, or evil characters

2. Characters from hindu mythology - the gods and godessess. There are some absolutely great looking gods in the hindu mythology.

3. Body builders

4. Recreate favorite game character.

5. Caricatures.

sanketpro3d
08-25-2009, 04:02 AM
My Suggestions .. :lightbulb

1). Barbarian Female Warriors,

2). Giant Insects,

3). Devil Trees,

4). Self 3D Portraits,

5). A human body cut away,

6). ... aah....i hope you find the above idea executable..and.. i'll post more ideas as they come in mind ,,

TiMrozek
08-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Human body cutaway has floated around a few times. I think that would certainly be hardcore. I'd be even more excited to see that varied to each artist's interpretation of alien/demon/fantasy character cutaway. What would the inside of a god look like? What would a cutaway of a balrog look like? Just fire or does he have slimy innards like the rest of us.

Then again there is just sticking with reality and making it any biotic life-form cutaway.

scottimation
08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Self 3d portraits sounds like great idea!

VirusREdSox
08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
i like the sanketpro3d's ideas, specially the devil trees!

japetus
08-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Just had an idea: How about modeling your favorite comic book/cartoon vehicles? I know it was sorta done recently with the 80's cartoon characters, but that was pretty limited for the most part. I'm thinking Darkwing Duck, the Batwing, X-jet, or the Technodrome from TMNT

robo3687
08-29-2009, 03:11 AM
this one could take a bit of logistical and persuasion work, but what if we could get these guys on board

www.ownage.com (http://www.ownage.com)

and have a challenge based around digital sculpting, and have the category be fairly open to give people freedom in what they create

and then at the end of it the overall best sculpt wins a 3d print from ownage of their model?

i'm sure if approached the guys at ownage would be willing to do something like that as it would be good publicity for them....

perhaps we could even get a few prints out of them....:buttrock:

EDIT: thought of a nice open topic for this idea

"My Childhood hero" or just "My Hero", so it could be a sports star, an actor/actress, a character frrom a tv show, a game or movie, or even a family member....

so it keeps it open, but still would let participants make a nice dynamic sculpture.

also the concept of maybe getting it printed at the end of the challenge could greatly increase participation in the challenge

DimensionalPunk
09-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Any type of Chimera
http://img141.imageshack.us/i/griffin5.jpg/
http://img141.imageshack.us/i/griffin5.jpg/

Digitool
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Create your own concept super-car.

Creepfree
09-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone!

"-Recreate your favourite game character" sound great,but maybe smth. more abstract,let's say "Recreate a game character from your favourite game's universe".I've just finished "Wolfenstein" and try to recreate one of these badass nazis gonna be cool ^^

OwenEgan
09-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Or be more specific and say "Recreate an old-school (DOS, sprite-based) game character as a next-gen game character"

Also, it would be interesting to see creating a comic book character as a high-def model.

japetus
09-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Or be more specific and say "Recreate an old-school (DOS, sprite-based) game character as a next-gen game character"

Also, it would be interesting to see creating a comic book character as a high-def model.

I think that's a great idea, although it is pretty common nowadays to have next-gen version of old characters, so maybe there would have to be some restrictions (Mario, Zelda, Metroid)

robo3687
09-10-2009, 02:32 AM
lol i'm doing a cgworkshop on that exact topic right now...

Dare-o
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
i cant wait for #22! I like 'creating a character from historic times' idea. would Charlie Chaplin count?:beer:

grantmoore3d
09-19-2009, 08:06 PM
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/img/2008/04/apr08-02-1280.jpg

Modeling a creature like that would be one heck of a challenge!!

Creepfree
09-20-2009, 05:10 AM
I think it's a real cgallenge for shading/texturing/rendering rather then modeling(although modeling is not that easy as well) :).What about modeling some movie character?

tuckerhcool
09-22-2009, 03:47 AM
why not modeling an interior or maybe an environment and take a break from characters/vehicles

TiMrozek
10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
To those not reading robo's thread, we somehow ended up talking about a next challenge idea. I think it would actually mesh in perfectly with the 3D printing idea. It would be cool to do an original chess set (which I think has actually been mentioned before) but how coold would it be for all of us to then be able to create our sets? Expensive, yes, but maybe we could find a sponsor for that challenge. Advertise some printing service and all get free chess sets that we design.

Anyway, just a thought.

Intervain
10-07-2009, 04:39 PM
why not modeling an interior or maybe an environment and take a break from characters/vehicles

hmm I feel like most of the challenges when I've been watching them have not been character based actually or were a mix of the 2... so I wouldn't say we only have characters here

japetus
10-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Just had a sweet idea! It could be "Unused concept art challenge", so let's say you find a piece of unused concept art from your favorite tv show, movie, or game and do a hardcore model of it. I love the concept art books from movies and half the time the concepts are better than what ended up being in the movie.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Unused ship from the old Battlestar Galactica show:

http://www.galactica.tv/images/stories/gallery/goozee/dan-goozee-06.jpg

Enterprise concept:
http://trekmovie.com/images/tmpentmcq.jpg

Alien:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Ron_Cobb_Alien_concept_art.jpg

Filip
11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Just had a sweet idea! It could be "Unused concept art challenge", so let's say you find a piece of unused concept art from your favorite tv show, movie, or game and do a hardcore model of it. I love the concept art books from movies and half the time the concepts are better than what ended up being in the movie.

I really like that idea!

/Filip

JM-art
11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
What about picking from a given set of photographs/concept-art , and make a unique model concept based in 3 or 4 pictures of that set. It would be a great challenge and would be funny to see what others make. It will fource us to be creative and to think a little moore...not just modeling.

For illustrate this idea i pick some photos from internet, and very quickly superpose some of them to create something new.

This being sayd, a like the ideas posted before too....to do an environment is a realy good one.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7103/examplesk.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/i/examplesk.jpg/)

resulting concept from some of tha above set

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6476/resultwc.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/resultwc.jpg/)

japetus
11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Lol that wins the prize. Awesome

Intervain
11-11-2009, 07:40 PM
lol crazy but I do like the idea - it would sure as hell be a challenge

japetus
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I was hoping the violin would be integrated somehow. Maybe I just can't see it? :)

JM-art
11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
lol! here you have it, the most extrange and crazy knight i can imagine so far :eek:;) hehe.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1016/result2r.jpg (http://img690.imageshack.us/i/result2r.jpg/)

robo3687
12-16-2009, 04:31 AM
i remeber ages ago the game artisans guys did a challenge to recreate a scene from a movie....

i think that would be a good idea for this, like make a scene from either a movie or tv show

cos when you think about how much stuff is actually on a movie/tv set......thats a lot of stuff to model.....

CKPinson
12-24-2009, 02:27 AM
recreating a scene from a movie sounds like an awesome idea.

CKPinson
12-31-2009, 12:50 AM
How about creatures from the other moons/planets near Pandora (since JC is thinking about making sequels of neighboring moons).

JasonTonks
02-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Man, that four mouth dragon beast is like totaly kick turbo mega butt zbrush model animation what awesome.

DaezD
04-21-2010, 10:31 AM
watching a program about the natural history museum last night on the BBC and they had a little feature on this guy..

John J. Audubon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_J._Audubon)

some amazing work

jojo1975
08-09-2010, 11:24 AM
When will next challenge start ? and what topic ;) ?

Proflooney
08-29-2010, 07:21 AM
I think Iron Maiden Eddie challenge would be cool. there are so many differnt ones be cool to see which are done. this site http://www.ironmaidenwallpaper.com/deluxesizewallpaper.html has every eddie ever done and the wallpaper link has some cool ones. theres a new one out there now too Abraham Lincoln Eddie it looks so cool

Joe

Artfreakjb
09-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Eddie has always made me want to rock out.. I think i'll do a tribute to him and cast him in polygons... Great idea.

Proflooney
09-04-2010, 06:42 PM
another idea i had is with halloween coming it woul;d be cool to have a halloween themed challenge something like having kids in outfits doing halloween stuff. not regular monsters but have it so you know its some kid in a costume. they could be trick or treating, bobbing for an apple, toilet papering some house, any kind of a halloween thing as long it has something to do with kids in costumes and not just drawing up some monster. could even be a non organic like a haunted house or graveyard scene even.

joe

japetus
01-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while...any word on when/what the next challenge will be?? Great job on this one everyone! I was watching from afar!

robo3687
01-14-2011, 11:39 PM
i'd still like to see a "create your own star wars character" challenge...its both creatively freeing whilst giving us a set universe to work within

japetus
02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
just had a cool idea for a modeling challenge called "Heavy Machines" while looking at some images on cgtextures. One could create heavy machinery like these guys:

http://cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=14468

Scote
02-24-2011, 03:17 AM
i'd still like to see a "create your own star wars character" challenge...its both creatively freeing whilst giving us a set universe to work within

I second the proposition. I would love to start my own SW character

joc2806
02-25-2011, 10:18 PM
i will love to challege my self with this please do it, it would be preatty fun and intersting

japetus
02-25-2011, 11:12 PM
ugh, no star wars specific challenges please...so overdone

viledeacon
03-02-2011, 01:55 AM
i like the idea of the heavy machines. What would be the limitations on subject matter as far as heavy machines go?

viledeacon
03-02-2011, 02:02 AM
i like the idea of the heavy machines. What would be the limitations on subject matter as far as heavy machines go?

Scote
03-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I just got an idea:

Circus Freaks / People of a Carnivale

http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2009/10/cirque.jpg

I just finish Carnìvale (Tv show) and maybe all the freaks that we can think of (movie: Vampire Apprentice) can do the model.

Plenty of subjects and variations:

The Management / Ringmaster;

Freaks

The Beard woman;
The Lezardskin boy;
The Siamese-twin;
The Elephanman;
The Fatlady;
The Evildrawf (because there always one in it);
The Giant;

Entertainers

The Mentalist / Magician;
The old Fortuneteller;
The Strong man;
The Clown;
The Snakecharmer;
The Swordeater / Knifethrower;
The Acrobats;
The Juggler;
The Fireeater;

Animal related

The Trained Animal (can be fantasy one like in Last Unicorn movie);
The Animal tamer (Lion-tamer);

and so on..

What do you think? For me, I so excited!

japetus
03-23-2011, 11:46 PM
I just got an idea:

Circus Freaks / People of a Carnivale
What do you think? For me, I so excited!

Awesome idea!!

artmonger78
04-08-2011, 03:06 AM
I love all of the suggestions, Once thing that helped me out as a beginning 3D artist was the 30 models in 30 days challenge. It was lax enough to bring people in, and tough enough to give already established modelers a challenge.. with the different tiers and all. Its a RL acceptable goal too for asset creation, so it makes for a fun and productive challenge. i'm in on the movie poster challenge... gonna try to do Ash, from Evil Dead: Army of Darkness!!
http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/65/MPW-32789

Should be fun!

Scote
04-08-2011, 09:51 PM
You post in the wrong topic man.

This topic is for your subject suggestion for the futures challenges

artmonger78
04-09-2011, 06:36 AM
You post in the wrong topic man.

This topic is for your subject suggestion for the futures challenges

I was suggesting another 30 days 30 models challenge... but i guess i should have been more clear, thanks for pointing that out scote :thumbsup:

DrOnion
05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I suggest a contest for a badass still/animation of the Seal Team6 attack on the BinLaden spa and hotel. The animations on CNN, Fox, etc have been horrible. Mostly quick sketchup still with a tiny directtv dish ontop and a line pointing to "burning trash" .. some dude did on their google earth pro package sitting way back behind wolf blitzer drinking a mountain dew voltage. I swear if I wasnt so busy on projects that actually make money.... i'd at last do up a better, more detailed sketchup for print and stuff... followed by a full on helicopters crashing-bearded tatooed seals with no helmets jumpin out midair firing tracers everwhere, wierd fully prestige unlocked m4a1s with "badass" scratched into the side.. that's a content i might enter. Screw aliens, elves and robots. Heroes man, thats worth animating.

Cogu
06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
About the next challenge (pixar Tribute)

I think could be based on secondary characters, no Protagonists.

Thats it. =]

Scote
06-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli Tribute

http://www.normalesup.org/~pcuvelier/wwwcinema/LogoGhibli.jpg

Reproduce in 3D a character/scene/diorama/weapon/etc. from one of the absolute perfect movies and universes of mr. Hayao Miyazaki

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki

Filmography

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausicaä_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind_(film)) , 1984 film
Castle in the Sky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_in_the_Sky) , 1986 film
My Neighbor Totoro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbor_Totoro), 1988 film
Kiki's Delivery Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiki%27s_Delivery_Service), 1989 film
Porco Rosso (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porco_Rosso), 1992 film
Princess Mononoke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Mononoke), 1997 film
Spirited Away (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirited_Away), 2001 film (winner, Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, 2002)
Howl's Moving Castle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howl%27s_Moving_Castle_(film)), 2004 film (nominee, Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, 2005)
Ponyo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo), 2008 film

the-woz
07-21-2011, 07:41 PM
How about a Space Race themed challenge?

This year marks the 50º anniversary of the first man in space and also the retirement of the space shuttle.

Cultrix
07-22-2011, 10:17 AM
I would love to model something that is in my mind other than looking for references and make something equal =P hehe

The Young Adult Old topic is really cool.

The own star wars character is an amazing topic, people can make, jedis, siths, robots, aliens, spaceships.. it covers alot of topics

In my opinion, game models would be cool, why? Because game models are always low poly, and making them high res, would be really nice.

Scote
07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
The Star wars topic is saturated in these challenges.

And game charcater are low res yah! but they are always sculpt high res.. maybe you refer of the oldest one: Megaman, mario, pacman (toff one ;) )

Cultrix
07-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Im'm refering to the new ones. Heroes of newerth, league of legends, WoW, Rift, Uncharted, Counter Strike, prince of persia.. etc.
As for star wars, yep, it is very saturated.

daks
07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Maybe a tribute to
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/NASA_logo.svg/200px-NASA_logo.svg.png
? :)

Websofy
10-03-2011, 06:53 AM
concept is good..but i think you should rethink about this challenge ya i know even if you fail to complete this challenge this would be a learning experience for you.

nsb
11-15-2011, 05:07 AM
So what topic is up next folks? Finally my production peak has slowed and I can do one of these again.

Airflow
11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi all.
My idea would be to Sculpt a Deity..
You have to make a rendition of any Deity from any existing human mythology.

Having seen Immortals, I think it would be pretty cool.
Barring that, recreate a film poster as previously suggested.

Evelina
11-16-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree with Airflow!
I also agree with another idea that has been suggested: Hayo Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli Tribute
(If it hasn't already been done ... I dunno')

I want to try this modeling challange now... For the first time.. Maybe... :)

Scote
12-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Keep the Circus of Freak idea for the summer lol My idea! but I would like to participate..

Cultrix
12-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Unfortunantely, nasa tribute wasn't very sucessful. Comparing with last HCM (Pixar tribute).
Dreamworks tribute would be cool =p

Scote
12-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Unfortunantely, nasa tribute wasn't very sucessful. Comparing with last HCM (Pixar tribute).
Dreamworks tribute would be cool =p

I think the summer time is the best time. Many work or have school so I think the autumn contest is always low in participation.

Cultrix
12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Agreed Scote! Want Summer time NOW =D

Scote
12-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Me too lol

RobertoOrtiz
12-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I agree with Airflow!
I also agree with another idea that has been suggested: Hayo Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli Tribute
(If it hasn't already been done ... I dunno')

I want to try this modeling challange now... For the first time.. Maybe... :)

I could do one called:
ICONS OF ANIME....

And guys about the NASA challenge...
We did ok, after all it is winter, and peopel are off with their families.

Scote
12-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Icon of Anime.. cool!

Roberto you mean like a character or any character of an Iconic Artist like Hayao Miyasaki? Maybe both

Mystara
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I have seen a lot of fantasy artwork, and I have to admit that the majority of certain creatures are always one gender such as fawns, goblins, ogres. Not to mention some specific named creatures like Medusa and the Minotaur.

I would like to suggest a mini challenge to create opposite genders of creatures that normally are only depicted as a single gender.

RobertoOrtiz
01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Icon of Anime.. cool!

Roberto you mean like a character or any character of an Iconic Artist like Hayao Miyasaki? Maybe bothI am leaning to that....

Cultrix
01-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Hehe, when do we start? :bounce:

Scote
01-05-2012, 11:49 PM
I would like to suggest a mini challenge to create opposite genders of creatures that normally are only depicted as a single gender.

Interesting idea. Your right about that.. I only see a Goblin male .. but a Goblin bit*ch would be nice lol

TiMrozek
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I think a Miyazaki challenge will give me no choice but to finally re-enter the challenge, whether I'm super busy or not.

RobertoOrtiz
01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
OK guys, give me two weeks...

Scote
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Ahhh, why I can't play this game?? :( why i'm a bachelor in final grade?? so cool subject!!!

sonn
01-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Another idea to add to the list: remake/re-envision a classic Atari/Nintendo sprite character that hasn't been remade yet. It could be something obscure like an enemy, or the main character.

TheRazorsEdge
01-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I could do one called:
ICONS OF ANIME....

Now that is a killer topic!
Cheers!

Scote
01-20-2012, 09:25 PM
I think of a cool contest:

The Musician

A character + an instrument. Any era, any type.

From the Victorian Violonist to the Star Wars Cantina drummer ;)

Anchang-Style
01-29-2012, 08:41 PM
How about your JRPG scene? Character or some Creature or something? Have checked the videos of FFXIII-2 and i love the art style and i think it might be a cool topic.

Scote
02-03-2012, 04:23 AM
An other contest idea:

Master of Litterature

H.P. Lovecraft (Cthulhu) to Mark Twain (Tom Sawyer)

razeverius
02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi guys. I was doing some spring cleaning in my room when suddenly i found a box of my pokemon cards and it suddenly hit me why not suggest pokemons as a modelling challenge :)

model one of your favorite pokemons or favorite 6 like a trainer :D

Scote
02-15-2012, 09:23 PM
ahha nice. I like the idea of a trainer and his best pokemon.

TheRazorsEdge
03-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Well, I think with the sad breaking news, this one is kind of a must:

Tribute: Jean Giraud - Moebius

japetus
03-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Well, I think with the sad breaking news, this one is kind of a must:

Tribute: Jean Giraud - Moebius

Ah no, and Ralph McQuarrie so recently too! A good idea. So would a Ralph McQuarrie tribute (although that would probably just turn into a Star Wars tribute unfortunately)

japetus
03-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Any hints for the next challenge?? :)

Scote
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
No way i will pass the other challenge! any subject I don't care. I'm finish school now! I'm free

robo3687
03-31-2012, 04:53 AM
ahha nice. I like the idea of a trainer and his best pokemon.

a pokemon challenge would be truly awesome...

Cultrix
03-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Well, in my honest opinion, we should model something that could come from our creativity, BUT, with some requirements, such as the number of arms, legs, eyes, scars, male, female, size, weight, etc...

I would love to sculpt something from my mind, and that people could evaluate and say if they like it or not, and not sculpt something that other people created.

vincent1
03-31-2012, 02:23 PM
I agree with Cultrix.

To go further one now need to show strong creativity, an ability to form something directly from one's mind, straight away in 3D, not 2D concept sketches and then convert to 3D and often without references or minimal references.

I'm not knocking traditional approaches; just that to stand out in the modeling area these days, new approaches are needed and are already being used.

Look at the workflow used in "John Carter" as an example:
http://www.pixologic.com/interview/john-carter/legacy/1/

My entry for this HCM was also created without ever touching pencil to paper:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2565/beautyrender1600gun.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/beautyrender1600gun.jpg/)

Scote
03-31-2012, 11:23 PM
I like the idea of a given subject. Creativity is good, but in a challenge you have to give a subject.

Like my topic suggestion: The Circus Freaks.. you can be crreative and don't recreate a character of an other artist. But it's a subject given

vincent1
04-01-2012, 12:09 AM
THat would be good.

I can already imagine fantastical petite creatures jumping and flying through hoops.

Perhaps better reversed; huge creatures navigating hoops held by ridiculous small creatures.

the-woz
04-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I like the idea of creating your own design, but I would prefer a subject that allows both organic and hard surface modellers to enter the challenge.

IE: Like in "The Queen of the Rocketmen" challenge from some years ago.

Cultrix
04-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Well, I didn't finish my HCM because transposing anime into 3D is way hard, and, i'm doing other artists art, so, I didn't finished it...(though i learned alot) Circus freaks is an amazing title in my opinion... magicians, clowns, animal trainers, jugglers, etc... creating them with 50% reference 50% your creativity

Rourker
04-01-2012, 11:01 PM
I like the circus freaks idea, but I can't say I'm a fan of the no reference material idea. Also this could work for both hard surface and organic modeling. ie. robot circus or animal circus.

Scote
04-02-2012, 01:52 AM
I tought of an other challenge idea:

Wargame Tribute

Tribute a charcater or an element of a wargame strategy miniature game like:

Warhammer, Warmachine, Malifaux, Infinity, etc.

the-woz
04-02-2012, 04:39 AM
What about a challenge based on a cyberpunk derivative genre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives).

Such as 'clockpunk': Create a character, vehicle or machine in an alternate Renaissance where Leonardo da Vinci designs became a reality.

Scote
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Cool idea, but there was a contest Steampunk in the past so I think it's redundant

Jussslic
04-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Haha how about just flat out cyberpunk? Ive been looking for an excuse to model YT from Snow Crash for like two years... (Really I've just been holding off until I have the skills to do her justice).

Circus Freaks would be absolutely awesome though.

Boma
04-02-2012, 11:46 PM
I liked Cultrix approach let's do a Octoped challenge :) It can be both organic and hard surface modelling and leaves enough space for creativity.

japetus
04-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Concept Ships has a great tribute to Moebius going on since he passed away recently. That would be a pretty cool challenge:

http://conceptships.blogspot.com/

Scote
04-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Cool sketch there! thanks for the link

Jussslic
04-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Concept Ships has a great tribute to Moebius going on since he passed away recently. That would be a pretty cool challenge:

http://conceptships.blogspot.com/

This would be very cool. I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with Giraud's stuff before he died, but he was a real visionary. Such an awesome, unique style.

MGC
04-04-2012, 07:59 AM
This would be very cool. I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with Giraud's stuff before he died, but he was a real visionary. Such an awesome, unique style.

I saw lot's of awesome idea for 3d modeling..and lot of work..lovely images and I agree with "visionary" term.

WyattHarris
04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Ah no, and Ralph McQuarrie so recently too! A good idea. So would a Ralph McQuarrie tribute (although that would probably just turn into a Star Wars tribute unfortunately)
I know what you mean but doesn't seem right not to honor McQuarrie as well. So let's do both.

Heavy Metal meets Star Wars.

Edit:
Not that I mean both artists combined in one image, just in the same challenge. :D

japetus
04-04-2012, 02:38 PM
I know what you mean but doesn't seem right not to honor McQuarrie as well. So let's do both.

Heavy Metal meets Star Wars.

Edit:
Not that I mean both artists combined in one image, just in the same challenge. :D

Wyatt, I agree. We definitely need to give McQuarrie his due! :) I like the crossover idea. Just think of all the slave Leia's that will be created! lol

WyattHarris
04-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Wyatt, I agree. We definitely need to give McQuarrie his due! :) I like the crossover idea. Just think of all the slave Leia's that will be created! lol
Lol, you mean Slave Leia riding one of those chubby pterodactyls.

Jussslic
04-04-2012, 08:20 PM

I have to agree with that. Even if it does end up yielding a lot of Star Wars artwork, it really wouldn't be right to honor one of them and snub the other.

I attempted HCM once a looong time ago and didn't finish. I think if this ends up being the topic I'd probably have to give it another go :).

RobertoOrtiz
04-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Ok guys...
you got me..
It is a fantastic idea, and we will do it.
We will do a combined Ralph McQuarrie / Moebius Tribute.

japetus
04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Ok guys...
you got me..
It is a fantastic idea, and we will do it.
We will do a combined Ralph McQuarrie / Moebius Tribute.

Heck yes! :buttrock:

Jussslic
04-05-2012, 01:24 AM
Awesome! Guess that means I need to put my money where my mouth is : ). Let the research begin...

Scote
04-05-2012, 02:25 AM
OH GOD!!! Ralph McQuarrie!! There a heck of subject there!

Scote
04-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Surely a mass Star Wars modeling again lol

Don't forget Moebius guys lol

Jussslic
04-05-2012, 04:36 AM
I'm doin Moebius for sure! Nothing against McQuarrie of course, I'm just really smitten by Giraud's aesthetic.

japetus
04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Don't forget, if you are in the mood to do something Star Warsy but not quite (like me), McQuarrie also did concept art for the original BSG.Much can be found here (http://www.galactica.tv/battlestar-galactica-1978-news/ralph-mcquarrie-concept-paintings.html)

RobertoOrtiz
04-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Ok time to post reference:
MASTERS TRIBUTE: Moebius & Ralph McQuarrie: REFERENCE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=1044650)

Scote
04-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Roberto do you have an idea when that contest will start.. like friday is the end for voting. Weekend for compiling the resultat.. Usually, you let one week or two between each challenge.. so my guess is: Start in May?

RobertoOrtiz
04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
That sounds about right...

TiMrozek
04-06-2012, 02:36 PM
This sounds awesome. I think I might be too busy with my current project at work to have the energy, but I definitely look forward to watching this one. Hope to see some hybrids of the two styles.

BenDstraw
07-18-2012, 07:09 AM
cashern sins/anime tribute
impossible sets(stairs etc.)
salvador dali tribute
presidents/world leaders as zombies
never ending story
macro art(super closeups)

artmonger78
07-18-2012, 08:28 AM
presidents/world leaders as zombies

i'm on board with this idea!! why stop at presidents/world leaders? Any public figure.. perhaps.. I'd like to do Nikola Tesla as a Zombie, or perhaps Marilyn Monroe.. hmmm

BenDstraw
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
why stop at presidents/world leaders? Any public figure.. perhaps.. I'd like to do Nikola Tesla as a Zombie, or perhaps Marilyn Monroe.. hmmm

ya awesome idea, I'd love to see a zombie Marilyn Monroe. Perhaps she would have missing cheeks making her face look more skeletal and contrasting her usual perceived beauty

japetus
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm so sick of seeing zombies everywhere. I don't understand the huge popularity of them over the last few years.

artmonger78
07-19-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm so sick of seeing zombies everywhere. I don't understand the huge popularity of them over the last few years.

nice story bro

TheRazorsEdge
07-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted for agreement!:cool:

Cheers!

the-woz
07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Quoted for agreement!:cool:

Cheers!

+1

How about building your own/recreating a Rube Goldberg machine?
It can be tied in with an FXWars challenge

Scote
07-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Ya zombie generation lol

BenDstraw
07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I've only noticed zombies being over used in video games. I haven't noticed any else excessive maybe i just live under a rock:argh:

japetus
07-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I've only noticed zombies being over used in video games. I haven't noticed any else excessive maybe i just live under a rock:argh:

There seems to be a ton in Barnes and Noble right now, along with Walking Dead comic (which I kind of like) and the tv show which I haven't seen yet, a bit too graphic for my taste.

Although I know I shouldn't I think I subconsciously lump them in with vampires, who I think most definitely have been over used recently ;).

Cultrix
07-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Circus freaks,
abominations,
Fantasy creatures.

I think it should be more creative work then recreating something.

Scote
07-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Ya the freaks idea that I offer was part of the idea of be more free.

In the past 2 years, we just make tribute to other guys.

It's cool, but we always try to reproduce someone art and for that we criticize more because we know how the model should look.. But in freestyle we don't have that step.

At less, the winter games challenge is more free for that. We don't have to respect a style or a blueprint concept art. Just be inspire by a sport class

Rourker
07-21-2012, 11:14 PM
I think a cool idea for a challenge would be everyone's own take on the Pizza Planet truck. However I do know there was a Pixar challenge not to long ago.

Scote
07-21-2012, 11:52 PM
ya exactly! Roberto won't allow two challenges of a simili same subject.

robo3687
07-22-2012, 01:34 AM
ya exactly! Roberto won't allow two challenges of a simili same subject.

not so close together anyway, the next one (#35 - sports in motion) is similar to the sports icon one we did a few years ago, and we've done 30 models in 30 days twice as well as several star wars based challenges...

i do think it'd be a good idea if in the future we did a challenge (even if ony like a mini 2-3 week one) where everyone models the same thing and whoever goes the furthest as far as accuracy and detail wins (there'd probably have to be a poll or something to decide the item)

anyway i'm quite looking forward to the sports one, i have heaps of ref gathered already, should be fun.

Scote
07-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Ya maybe I will participate at this one and finish it ;) What sport do you aim?

robo3687
07-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Ya maybe I will participate at this one and finish it ;) What sport do you aim?

i'm going for American Football, but I won't be doing an existing player, I'll be making up my own player.

I've been planning it out in my head and I think there should be some good opportunities for some honest to goodness poly-modeling what with all the equipment there is associated with gridiron (helmets, pads, shoes, gloves etc)