PDA

View Full Version : LightWave's Animanium

Larkin
04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
I've just started playing with LightWave's Animanium Style tool called IK Boost.

Have a rig and a couple of demo videos up for discussion.
(http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=370920#post370920)

Would be very interested to chat with anyone using the same system or who has been using Animanium since it's earlier releases...

I'd like to try an get and understanding of their Animation workflow, in particular.

bugzilla
04-20-2006, 05:51 PM
This is the first IK Booster video I have seen that actually explains things and gives real world examples of how to use it. I bought the IK Booster tutorial CD from Kurv studios, but it only showed what each item is supposed to do individually, not in a real character. Please, please, please keep doing these video tutorials. I have spent too much time and resources getting into Lightwave to jump to another program right now, but rigging in LW is absolutely the worst of all the major 3D apps. This video gives me some renewed faith in choosing LW!

Larkin
04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Bugzilla.

I can say this if it helps your faith ;), setting up the skeleton takes seconds for IKB, and it can be edited any way you please at any time. It takes about fifteen minutes to really fine tune it, behaviours and deformations. But aside from all that, an IKB rig can applied to other characters in seconds, so you'd only need to re-tune some of the deformations. Less minutes :) But more than all that, is easy to understand and easy to do.

That also brings other huge advantages, poses and motions can be develped into a library that will work for all your humanoid characters.

I see IKB's workflow as very natural for animators moving into 3D anim for the first time, conversly - it is probably much harder for 'old school' LWCA people to get used to a completly new philosphy.

So, have you tried out using either of the two rig and characters attached to that thread? Any thoughts or questions?

As I mentioned there too... I only picked up IKB a little over two weeks ago, and have really only been 'playing' with it, so I'm really interested to see how Animanium users have developed a workflow. (Animanium forum seems to have disappeared here....)

Anyway, last bit, I had a rush of blood to the head this morning and bought up the domain name ikboost.com (hope Newtek don't sue ;)) with the vision that a dedicated site would accelerate is development and usage techniques by users. Evolution and sharing of rigs for all different types of beast, a motion and pose resource... etc etc. Then again, sounds like a lot of work :D

bugzilla
04-21-2006, 03:52 AM
What version of LW are you running? I noticed that some of the items you mention, like showing and hiding the Handles, don't exist on my popup menus for the controllers, or is there a setting I have to turn on somewhere else in LW to get it to show up?

Larkin
04-21-2006, 07:12 AM
8.5, I think handles were added with ghosting in 8.2

Varinder
04-22-2006, 04:03 AM
Larkin you make the best video tutorials man! Honestly. I've done some of your tutorials from your site, http://www.puffandlarkin.com/ Taught me so much. I like the way you explain things, like perfectly, exactly what you'd want to know. I hope you continue to dish out more video tutorials like these, there very imformative.

I watched both videos, but i was wondering if you were going to make a video in how to set up a rig from scratch for IK booster. That would be awesome. Especialy the way you explain things so clearly.

Anyways, keep up the good work man!

Cheers.

Larkin
04-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks Varinder, a little encouragement always goes a long way :)

Yes, I do intend to make that video, and a few more. To be honest though, you would learn more and better by downloading the rig from the NT forum and having a look at it. The secret is in the the stiffness settings.

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2006, 11:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.