PDA

View Full Version : Speed painting

andreasrocha
04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Just a small contribuition. Practicing quick sketches with bold strokes to synthetize the volumes.

http://ndrock.com.sapo.pt/sketches/sketches.jpg

http://ndrock.com.sapo.pt/sketches/sketches2.jpg

Maladie
04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
These are nice! Can you tell me what brushes you used (I assume it's PS?), what flow and opacity and/or brush settings? I'd like to try something similar:).

andreasrocha
04-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks Rinske.

Yes it's Photoshop. Just one brush.

Brush Hardness at 100%
Opacity set to pen-pressure

In the beginning I just painted with black and white alternating between the two with the "x" key. I kept the brush relatively big just to put down the basic forms. After a couple of minutes I start picking up greys from the canvas directly with the eyedropper (using ALT while in brush mode). I started blocking in forms cleaning up transparent brushstrokes.

I hope this will be of any use.

Andi

Maladie
04-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Cool! Just so I understand correctly: you used the hard edge brush from Basic Brushes? And what did you set the flow to? Also, I'm not sure how to set the opacity to pen pressure. Where can I do that? Thanks so much in advance.

cuddlesmcsavage
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
I really like these, i've been doing quick life drawing pieces lately too, part of my figure drawing class in college, but i've been trying to go at it with pencil for now, primarily cos i cant bring my computer into class! i may try your approach using my sketches as reference though, i like yours a lot. keep the inspiration coming!

andreasrocha
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Maladie...Nope, I don't even know if there is a brush with that name. What I did was set the brush's hardness setting to 100%. I kept the opacity and flow at 100%. I reckon you have a tablet, otherwise it's not even fund to paint on the computer. About setting the opacity to pen-pressure (Wacom's pen pressure), go to the brush's window, Other Dynamics, and in Opacity Jitter go to the pulldown menu and select pen pressure.

Good luck...

cypherx
04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Andrea, I think Myladie was asking if you used the default solid brush as a starting point (you had to have some sort of starting point) before you changed other dynamics to pen pressure (I paint with the same brush, and I know I just went from a default brush solid brush and messed with it so that's why I'm responding).

I like speedpaints!

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.