PDA

View Full Version : Posing problem. They won't stay!

thimsj
04-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey guys I have a huge problem with this animation I'm trying to do. I start to pose the character out and after the second pose what gets posed out doesn't stay, that third pose disapears. Once I roll off of that key it's like what I just posed out never existed, but the graph editor still shows a key, at the frame I was working on. I'm keying all the attributes that I'm moving and those keys are showing up in the graph editor but once I scroll off of the pose it snaps back to an earlier pose. Seeing as I'm trying to get into 3D not being able to move past posing an animation test is frustrating. I'm using the wood rig by Jan Philip Cramer of his site. Can anyone tell me why this might be happening? I was using auto key first and then restarted with doing it all manually. I even reopened the file one time and saw the pose there, hurahh!, only to have it disapear once I scrolled off of that frame. Why won't it stay? I can only get two poses before this problem pops up, I even retried three times and it's after that second pose that stuff stops sticking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

actionbrad3d
06-30-2006, 12:09 AM
hey man, I realise this comes a bit late, and not sure how helpful this would be as im not familiar with the rig you are using. However, perhaps the translation and rotation have some expressions attatched to them? (i.e. if you look at the translate, rotate ect in the channel box, are they yellow or grey?) im thinking your controllers ( or bones or whatever you are using to animate) may be constrained in some way to something else. usually, if this is the case, maya will let you move around whatever you want, even set a key , (i.e. lull you into a false sense of security ) then when you go off the frame it pops back to whatevwer it is parent constarined to.

Hmmm.. as i said,, not sure if this is it, but hopw that helps.
;)

Brad

NolanSW
06-30-2006, 12:40 AM
This is funny. I had an animator come up to me today and complain that he can't key a control and it won't stay like you said.

The problem was.....drum roll......he keyed a joint.

So ckeck through all the joints and make sure you didn't key a joint by mistake. If you did, delete the key.

See if that's your issue. Note to self: don't have joints visible to animator.

-Sean

underearth
06-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Note to self: don't have joints visible to animator.

-Sean

sean.. i had a same problem.. actually i do make my FK controls by parent shape node method.. if i make my joint invisible.. Fk controls are also invisible..what i do is in panel.. i uncheck show joints.... but this where animator changes visibility most like show all and show none Etc..

what kind of self solution you think... is good..

i think its better to ask here as you have made an excellent point

sunny

NolanSW
06-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, if you take the root joint and turn off visibilty and lock or lock and hide the channel, this will ensure that it will always stay hidden. I do this for all IK's and there effectors. Effectors are the worst culprit. This is a sure fire way to screw up a rig. If you type in the quick selection field up in the menu *effector*, this will grab all the effectors. Make sure the display is off for those and visiblity is off and lock and hide that channel. If you every have autoRig scripts that build parts of the rig, make sure that it does this. This will save a ton of grief on your part and the animators.:)

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2006, 08:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.