PDA

View Full Version : SubD weights in Maya

Phearielord
01-01-2003, 03:51 AM
Hey ppl

I recently started using SubD's quite a bit, and everything is all fine and dandy, except for the weights.

Once I skinned my geometry to some Bones, I cant go back and edit the weights, wether it be smooth or rigid.

Can anybody shed any light on this, for it's driving me crazy?

How do you edit the darn things?
All the usual stuff you use for nurbs doesn't have any effect.

thanks

iC4
01-01-2003, 02:29 PM
hm, just use the paint weight tool :rolleyes:

it's under edit smooth skin...

Phearielord
01-01-2003, 07:29 PM
I know about the weight painting tool, but like I said earlier, none of the normal weight editing tools seem to work.

Tudor
01-02-2003, 11:05 AM
what about this.. Keep a poly version of the character.. Skin that one. Then attach the subD obj to the poly version with a wrap deformer.

This also allows you to easily change and tweak the subD objekt.

Phearielord
01-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Hey, thanks Tudor

Sounds like a good idea.
I've never tried it before, but will give it a try.

sp0rk3d
01-06-2003, 12:43 PM
are you useing any of the hierarchitcal subs? ie the level 1 or 2 or 3 etc verts or are you staying with the base(level 0) verts on the sub-d?
if you are staying with the level zero(base) verts then you can keep the whole surface as a poly object for all rigging.... then at the very end of the history you can create a PROXY subd shape and hide the poly model when you want to render....
if you are useing the the refined level 1,2,3 etc... verts then you will probably want to use a wrap deformer...
but the proxy is a bit faster... well good luck
:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.