PDA

View Full Version : character design critique

narutorendan
04-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Hi, I just did this character concept painting not too long ago. Any critiques, recommendations or anything else would really be apreciated <:D

Also, since this is my 4rth try tinkering with the program(photoshop), it would be really helpful that if you do know how to do them, give me overall steps on how to do them please. Hopefully with this, I can learn and become a good artist.

I know this is very bothersome, but it would be greatly apreciated...I am sorry for this inconvenience.

narutorendan
04-18-2006, 12:20 PM
no post from anybody? ::sigh:: it would really be apreciated...

Naisart
04-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi,
I think you have done a good job with the composition and the colouring.
I think this image needs more contrast and shadows (darker shadows).

His arm looks very small and his head is way too round. The eyes are too far apart and I think the nose is a bit too thick.

Study anatomy more and make it easy on yourself. If you are not so familiar with photoshop then draw with pen and paper so you donīt have to struggle with both the software and anatomy.

Hope this helps and keep working on it!

narutorendan
04-18-2006, 01:55 PM
thank you very much, I will work on improving this picture! This is what I wanted to hear <:D

Any more comments ect. would be apreciated.

3dcook
04-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi, I agree with Mumphy, Also, dont worry about the details until the underpainting is finished,
What I mean is...Paint the base colors ...then paint in secondary colors ....then shadows.
That way as you add details such as embroidery, jewelry, etc. you will have a better perspective for light and shadows and finally Highlights.( at least thats how I do it:D ) .
Nice pic, keep it going.

Dennis

narutorendan
04-18-2006, 03:37 PM
thank you for your comment, I will most certanly do that next time. You know what's hard? actually doing skin color. Wow, i didn't think it would be this hard. I mean, if you put too much black, it looks like a guy has a bruise, if you put the darker skin tone, it doesn't look dark enough...

wow! man, this brings an even greater apreciation on the people that can pull this stuff off!

Of course, if there is anybody that can give me more comments, than that would be great! right now, I am trying to apply those changes(and adding stuff of my own lol).

3dcook
04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Ya , skin tones are tuff but there are alot of tutorials in this forum. check out NEBEZIAL'S CHALLENGE ...he is an Awesome digital painter and he has some great tutorials.

Good luck

Dennis

cuddlesmcsavage
04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
i was going to say pretty much whats already been said about proportions/anatomy etc. also what i was going to say about layering and working up the detail gradually has already been said. however, i noticed you were talking about black in the skin. what programme are you using? its something of a rule of thumb to not put any black into skin at all unless there is complete darkness. as you said, it makes the skin look bruised. instead just use varying dark tones of the skin colour, just colour pick what you already have and then get darker. also losing some of the saturation helps create a little bit of depth. i really like your general concept, althoughy you might want to play around with composition to make it a bit more dynamic, right now it looks as though its a cropped piece from a larger painting. good luck on the rest of the piece, keep posting, i'll be watching!

narutorendan
04-18-2006, 08:42 PM
hey guys, I read your comments, and I thank you once again. I have continued to develop what you guys said(smaller nose, contrast color ect.), and this is how it looks now.

please note, that because the memory was too big, I had to cut down how it looks to about 70% <:/ (so that might make a negative impact).

If you guys could comment on my new build( and what else needs to be worked on), than it would be awesome.

Again, thank you very much! It really is apreciated. :D

narutorendan
04-18-2006, 08:47 PM
sorry, that I forgot to say, that the program that I am using is photoshop 3.0, with a small amount of corel paint explorer 3.0 to make this.

Anneli
04-18-2006, 09:08 PM
I agree with what has been said, and I have a few more tip for you.

I love the eyes and the hair, you draw very interesting I think, I like the rough style, and the character has a strong personality. I especially like the glare in his eyes.

I miss the rest of his body though, it's quite hard to get the real image of him without seeing what his bodylanguage is like, and if he's short or round or thin... well you get the picture.
So if you would not have a too cropped picture of him one would get a stronger sense of who he is. Also like other's have said before me, adding more light and shadow creates different moods that you can use in your journey of telling a story of someone.

Best of luck.

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.