PDA

View Full Version : How doy you paint wavy hair

kedishi-san
04-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I need some tip's and advice painting this girl's hair... I have never painted wavy hair before, In fact I'm still new to realism painting (coming from an Anime Background). I am not liking that the way it is turning out so far as it doesn't look like hair (well, it kinda looks like anime hair). I wanted to know if anyone could help me out ^_~

B.t.w. feel free to critique other areas as well as I'd much prefer getting it before i complete it ^_^.

Oh yeah... I'm a Photoshop User ^_^

cuddlesmcsavage
04-17-2006, 07:27 PM
you seem to be going in the right direction with the hair so far. i've found the most important thing to be creating as much depth in the hair as possible, basically working from the dark tones up to the highlights, going from painting larger areas at first, then slowly refining to the point where you are almost painting individual hairs. actually my portfolio post has wavy hair in it, so you could take a look at that if it will help! as for the rest of the figure, you seem to have the proportions pretty much down, maybe just work on the hands a little bit. also if you're going for realism, you should work on the facial proportions, you can tell you have an anime background! i particularly like the texture you put into the shirt, it works very well. looking forward to see the end result!

ThePhotographer
04-17-2006, 09:45 PM
There are quite a bunch of hairtutorials on this site - if you search a little, you'll find them.

This is also a good link where I think there must be a hairtutorial :

http://www.pocketmole.com

If that doesn't work, try this one :

http://div.dyndns.org/EK/tutorial/

It's Katherine Dinger's site - she's very talented and her tutorials are easy to follow.

For your painting : I think the head is too big compared to the body. Try to mesure your own head and your waist to get the proportions right.

I quite like the jeans effect you have here.

kedishi-san
04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys I'll take your critique on board... Although I'm not going for 100% absolute realism, more like a stylised realism... I do see what you mean about the size of her haed in comparison to the rest of her body... I just think it's gonna take me a while to escape from the Anime propotions...

Thanks I appreciate the halp ^_~

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.