PDA

View Full Version : ROBERTO'S BULLHORN: More ideas for the DSF...

RobertoOrtiz
04-17-2006, 05:11 AM
Two concepts I want to implement more:

At least two days a week WITH NO TIME LIMIT
Pencil Sketches Day
What do you guys think?

-R

khanumnaow
04-17-2006, 06:07 AM
I' m new member :thumbsup: I think Daily Sketch is very fun.:bounce:

Her0d
04-17-2006, 06:47 AM
- At least two days a week WITH NO TIME LIMIT - Yeah
- Pencil Sketches Day - Great idea! (as long as it would be 'day', not 'week' :-)

Cyanid
04-17-2006, 06:52 AM
both great idea's.

how about starting an IRC channel?
so we can find each other and chat and do OC sessions?

Her0d
04-17-2006, 07:03 AM
(...)
so we can find each other and chat and do OC sessions?

You mean like THIS (http://www.warpaint.se/)?

Cyanid
04-17-2006, 09:00 AM
You mean like THIS (http://www.warpaint.se/)?

Couldnt figure out what it exactly is, but I saw it was OC based as well...
But I mean more starting up a DSG-channel on a IRCnetwork (http://www.mirc.com/irc.html)
I could even write a tutorial on how to install and use IRC (easy as heck though)
Basically it is just groupchatting. I had a good time sketching with some dudes over at conceptart.org...its really motivating!

For more info about opencanvas and its applications, check this thread:

>> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=164700 <<

//edit:

Been looking around at warpaint.se, and it looks pretty good, its just too quiet there. Maybe we should give it more attention (maybe you can put it in your starterspost for a week or so, Roberto? )

ButchMakora
04-17-2006, 09:06 AM
At least two days a week WITH NO TIME LIMIT - yes-yes-yes! let's do that! i'm totally against TIME LIMITS!
Pencil Sketches Day - let's try - pencil-days, not weeks!

ThePhotographer
04-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Yes please ! No time limit - well, until next voting that will be, but that's MUCH better than nothing :bounce:

Sylanya
04-17-2006, 01:03 PM
No time limits on at least two days sounds good, three would be better. Love the idea!

Pencil days...absolutely. I really should sketch full pics more with pencil and paper, right now all I do is little doodles of noses and lips and eyes, I need to do full pictures. Great idea.

Runecaster
04-17-2006, 01:55 PM
I love the idea of no time limit - if anything so new people like me can get into a small habit of finishing more than just sketching out.

Then again, the idea of a time limit works really well for me too - so I wouldn't want all the limits to go away! :)

Pencil days: As long as it can also be digital (simply because it's easier sometimes) that works for me, I love drawing in pencil!

Blue-demon
04-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I've come back for another go at these things :)

No time limit- Sure, back in the day :)
Pencil sktches- Best of the two ideas i say, just my scanner isn't the most obediant animal around.

Hamilcar
04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi Roberto:

I've just started and I've participated for a little over a week now...

I vote no time limit on only one day a week the time limit gives me a chance to participate even tho I'm pretty busy! so please don't do too many with no time limit.

Pencil Days! Good idea! my suggestion is no digital allowed...maybe we could mix it up have some digital pencil days and some traditional pencil days.

Also I have my own suggestion: I think you should have to make at least one useful comment with your post, that does not include mentioning which sketch you like best.

Cheers and thanks Roberto for your work on this.

LouisCho
04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
no time limit 2 days: good idea but not more because I do not have all my time in a day!

pencil only: great, Love it. I didn't understand it the first time (see topic my town) but next time I'll be on the run.

paperclip
04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
How about one 'full painting' day a week? Something like more than a sketch, more of a speed painting?

I.E- More rendered than a sketch and with no time limit. Maybe on Saturdays/Sundays?

JTD
04-17-2006, 04:25 PM
- At least two days a week WITH NO TIME LIMIT - Yeah
- Pencil Sketches Day - Great idea! (as long as it would be 'day', not 'week' :-)

Quoted for agreement.

Her0d
04-17-2006, 04:40 PM
How about one 'full painting' day a week? Something like more than a sketch, more of a speed painting?
I.E- More rendered than a sketch and with no time limit. Maybe on Saturdays/Sundays?
IMHO, I think that "no time-limit weekends" would be enough, the "full painting" topic subtitle would be discouraging for all the newbies and non-pros, like me...

RobertoOrtiz
04-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Good comments, people.
KEEP THEM COMING.

BTW, I will recruit you guys soon for an idea that I have for
and FXwars.

It will be HUGE...

check this thread for more info:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=345951

-R

Wiggin
04-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Roberto-

I like the idea of having two or three days a week without a timelimit. Some days I just wanna do a really good picture, but other days the time limit seems to give motivation.

Pencil drawings are great, also much easier to do on days where I can't get to a PC all day.

FXWars- I like helping out, since you're doin so much with the DSF it only seems fair to help. But participation could be a problem because you may have one day where everyone participates, and another with low participation due to work or something of the sort.

Not a hundered percent sure that I understand completely, but I'll be looking forward to more info.

GSmiley
04-18-2006, 12:48 AM
If there are time limits half the time, I would like that. Sometimes having short time limits make me not want to try. I carry my laptop with me wherever I go for school, so usually I'll leave photoshop open all the time and work on a sketch a day, just working in any free time and not worrying about time.

Another thing is I think the thread titles are getting to be to long. A lot of it I think could be abbreviated as it is explaned in the post. Shortening "THE 15 MINUTE SKETCH" to just "15mins" would help.

I see more integration between challenges to be the obvious future of CGS. Everything seems to be heading in that direction. It's probably not too long until there are CGChallenge scale colaborative projects. The mini-challenge area is a good place to get this ball rolling. When there is team pressure to get stuff done it also helps most people's productivity.

bleumoon
04-18-2006, 01:06 AM
At least two days a week WITH NO TIME LIMIT: I like this idea. Sometimes I just want to really lay into a piece to practice some techniques that would go beyond a simple sketch.

Pencil Sketches Day: I like this idea too, as long as it doesn't discourage people from joining in. Maybe it could be a "traditional medium" thing so people could use markers, inks, colored pencil, charcoal etc . . . It might help the attendance :shrug:

BTW, I will recruit you guys soon for an idea that I have for and FXwars. Good to hear, I'd like to see some of our stuff in 3D since that's where all this is headed for me anyway.

ClausSimonsen
04-18-2006, 01:10 AM
It's good to have an unlimited amount of time for at least one painting a week (though I agree with whoever said it should be a weekend day). Pencil sketch is good too - especially since doing sketches from real life really helps your mind understand and remember things better in 3D and you are able to capture a more natural look (rather than looking at a photograph). I strongly request that the pencil sketches should have to be objects/animals from real life and not from photographs. Life drawing is so much more dimensional than static photo drawings (better for you as an artist too!). Also the poses are more natural when sketched from life, as photographs can freeze an animal or person in an awkward, atypical moment. And also, it is good to step away from the computer every once in a while to go out and look at the world around you. [Edit: Or take your computer with you. I'm not against digital pencil sketches in this case if you can mobilize your workstation.)

Overchord
04-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Well I'm jsut back today for a little while after having been out of the DSF for 3-4 weeks due to work :shrug: But I think these sounds like fine ideas. There's obviously two camps on the time limits, where I think 2 days of no time limits would accomodate both.
Pencil sketches is a great idea! I still find that I draw differently with a pencil than a wacom, and I don't manage to do pencil sketches first when its the timed sketches, so it would be good to bring that aspect in!
So in short - yay and yay :D

Sylanya
04-18-2006, 01:35 PM
One thing that I think would be good as another idea would be, say we are doing a full week of something, like the FXWars designs that we were doing or some other project. Maybe, for the people who are not interested in participating in something like that, have one or two alternative topics for them.

'Cause, you know, some of us don't like to draw cars or guns. :) Just an idea.

RobertoOrtiz
04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
'Cause, you know, some of us don't like to draw cars or guns. :) Just an idea.

But.. But cars and guns are always fun....
:(

-R

Sylanya
04-18-2006, 02:37 PM
But.. But cars and guns are always fun....
:(

-R

LOL, well, let me put it this way. I had my driver's permit for two years because I didn't like driving. I'm just not a car person. Guns are a maybe. ;)

TobyArt
04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Cars, Guns and Women are pretty much the birth of 3D! Every Modeling reel for the first 4-10 years 3D was out was pretty much those 3 things! I feel at some point we should embrace the past... but yes a week of it could get a little long

Freakwncy
04-19-2006, 12:10 AM
I Liked My Original Ideas About The Movie Week... I Dont Have The Link But Maybe I Can Find It Later...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3261561&postcount=1318

FOR THE UNCLICKERS:

MOVIE WEEK:

Action: your favorite scene from ur favorite action movie
Drama: the best death scene
Thrill: who's the real killer ( a port. of the killer)
Comdey: Funny huh? (Your favorite comedian as a clown)
Open: Combine 2 movie and put them together (cant be movies that have been done ie: AVP) example: Matrix meets Die Hard or Matrix meets Sleepless in Seattle)

TobyArt
04-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Freakwncy- That sounds like a blast! Awesome idea!

Her0d
04-19-2006, 06:18 PM
One thing that I think would be good as another idea would be, say we are doing a full week of something, like the FXWars designs that we were doing or some other project. Maybe, for the people who are not interested in participating in something like that, have one or two alternative topics for them. (...)

Hm. I think it would be nice to have separate subforum here on DSF, just for FXWars concept sketches... No time limit, no 'daily topics' (but rather 'Hey guys, we need some concept sketches of (anything). [And there's a deadline, (date)]'.)...

Sylanya
04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Hm. I think it would be nice to have separate subforum here on DSF, just for FXWars concept sketches... No time limit, no 'daily topics' (but rather 'Hey guys, we need some concept sketches of (anything). [And there's a deadline, (date)]'.)...

Oh, that's a good idea!

Gord-MacDonald
04-19-2006, 07:32 PM
I like a balance - both limitless and time limits have advantages. I liked the idea of a time limit with the option of moving on at the artist discretion.

It is nice to have some with time limits - (IMHO) I think it helps sharpen up the work.

Gord

ps: a tutorial on icq (or whatever) would be cool for geezers like me

Gord

GSmiley
04-19-2006, 07:33 PM

I think something like that would be better as a sticky thread in the FXWars forum. There are usually stickys that have resources for FXWars folks, and I would consider concept sketches resources for them. Sometimes too many subforums gets confusing.

Her0d
04-20-2006, 03:26 AM
I think something like that would be better as a sticky thread in the FXWars forum. There are usually stickys that have resources for FXWars folks, and I would consider concept sketches resources for them. Sometimes too many subforums gets confusing.
...There are usually lots of humorous or twisted or 'too quick to be useful' approaches to the topic, and I'm not quite sure how FX'ers would react seeing that kind of stuff on their 'resource' thread...

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2006, 03:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.