PDA

View Full Version : gotta be the easiest thing...

stowaway0
04-17-2006, 03:59 AM
I've got a real beginner (though I'm not a beginner) question that I <i>should</i> know the answer to. I'm hoping someone out there can give me a quick answer...

I've got a complete character and rig. I've got my grid set up in feet. My character is 6.5' tall and I want him to be 6' tall. Is there away to just enlarge to global space instead of trying to figure out how to shrink my character .5 feet?!

I know this has to be a no brainer but it's been giving me hell. I don't want to start grouping things and leaf-transforming them because that just gets messy. There's got to be an easier way!

instruct9r
04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Why dont you select all objects (skeleton, ctrl's, Mesh, etc...) group them and scale the group???

Before scaling select every object that have been bound to the skeleton then go to the attribute editor, open the first tab and turn OFF "Inherits Transform".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other way is to select all of the joints and turn OFF "Segment Scale" then scale the root and the whole body will be scaled, but the controllers will stay on the same place, so try the first way...

I hope this will help you...

Morganism
04-17-2006, 07:32 PM
As far as I know there's not a way to globally affect the scale of the scene, but if world units aren't important then you could just scale the enviornment up rather than scaling your character down.

stowaway0
04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah that's what I was worried about. Unfortunately this is a scene that involves four characters. Three of the four have a good scale but one is just slightly too big for my taste.

For now, I just grouped the skeleton to itself, grouped the controls, grouped the geometry (before rebinding) and then scaled those groups. I've just had problems doing this before, like my constrained points can get all messed up and then rebinding to the skeleton is the only option (IF it will even let me).

But if anyone has any suggestions about it, please post them! It seems like this should be a basic feature, but I guess not?

instruct9r
04-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Anyway... Everytime i have problems with the scale of a character i use the moethod describet above. Its working perfectly, i even try it on Rig that have squash and stretch, but suit yourself.

stowaway0
04-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Anyway... Everytime i have problems with the scale of a character i use the moethod describet above. Its working perfectly, i even try it on Rig that have squash and stretch, but suit yourself.

Hey thanks! For some reason your post above wasn't showing up. I only saw the post from Morgan.

Thanks for the help, I used your method and it worked well. Much appreciated!

instruct9r
04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
No problem... I'm glad i help you.. :applause:

:buttrock:
Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.