PDA

View Full Version : Young Black Male [Facial Test Animations]

DarthWayne
04-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Young Black Male

Lip Sync Test (1.5mb): http://www.dashdotslash.net/animation/YoungBlackMaleresync-web.mov

Rig Test (542mb): http://www.dashdotslash.net/animation/Alley-small-web.mov

(Latest Quicktime Needed)

First off let me say that I'm by no means an animator. In fact this is the 1st time I've tried facial animation at all so it's bound to be full of mistakes, so I expect a fair bit of critisism of my mistakes in these two early clips.

These are just two early tests of a character for a short I'm working on when I have time. All rendering and rigging was done in Max 8. The second clip being rendered using the scanline renderer, the 1st using Brazil RS. My aim is to try and make this characters facial performace as real as I can while not getting into long render times per frame. I've not done a whole lot of work on the upper face movements as yet (eyebrows ect), although thats next on my 'hit list.

Any crits will come in useful while I get used to animating general and facial animation in particular.
Enjoy

Wayne...

dalmanna
04-17-2006, 12:32 AM
when the jaw opens you need to skin it so that it slightly effects the the area just in front of the ears and even as far up as the temple coz right now it seems very localised to the mouth.

turn the music down or better still off, on the lips sync one as its drowning out the voice. i'd definatly finish the upper face rigging first as then we can see what will truly need to be fixed.

models really good though

hope this helps

mistasam02
04-17-2006, 08:22 AM
holy crap dude, nice model/rig! reminds me of something outta the book "stop staring".. or at least that quality of work. very promising!!

only thing is, the lip sync is waaaay off. if you have video reference for this sound clip, that would help a lot in making it look realistic. if not, just go through and work on matching the E's and O's so they match better. and yea, as mentioned above, drop the music. in a final clip, yea thats cool, but for a wip we really dont need the camera moves or even full lighting.. even though it looks pimp.
:buttrock:
keep it up!

DarthWayne
04-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks to you both for the very valid comments. I'll drop the music next time round (to be honest I was curious how it'd look with music, but I agree its distracting and hard to read the lip sync). Its funny you should mention the 'stop staring' book as I've just started to read it (p32...so don't tell me how it ends.....I bet the butler did it LOL). It really helped me to get my head around the whole lip sync thing. Initially I made the mistake of having every sylabal animated..it ended up loking like a badly dubbed martial arts movie.

The lip sync is off by a fair bit in the animations. I'm having a problem maybe someone can help with. In max the sync is pretty damn close, but the moment I render it out it looks way off. I've just recently converted my workflow fro maya as main app to Max, so I'm still finding my feet with it. I'm sure that it something really stupid I'm doing (or not doing). Are there any known issues with sound files 'lagging' in max 8, or a work around?

I did try moving the sync 1 to 5 frames behind the speech as mentioned in the stop staring book, but that only seemed to make matters worse. As for the rig, well you'd probably laugh its such a simple setup, (two bones for head and a handfull of morph targets). I do want to redo the rig entirely at some point, as while blend shapes are fast to work with, if you find you need another one later its got to be remodeled.

Thanks again for the comments at taking the trouble to help, Hopefully I'll be able to redo the lip sync test soon and get it a bit closer.

Wayne...

paladin1979
04-17-2006, 04:25 PM
I think the model itself looks great, but like the other members said some things need to be worked out. Personally, I don't think you're showing how expressive your facial animation rig can be, although maybe that's just a limitation you've run into, this being your first time. Otherwise, dude, you have a good model and I'm pretty sure you'll get the results you want eventually. I'm currently trying to set up a decent facial animation rig. While looking around the forums, I ended up in thread where Antropus' Plumber's Dream Rig. Awesome stuff. If you haven't seen it already, check it out. :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2006, 04:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.