PDA

View Full Version : Boards of Canada

Opeth
04-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi everyone.
I started this a few hours ago.
It's inspired by Boards of Canada.
The girl is without reference, for the BG concept i used a photograph i took in scotland as reference - but the colors and lighting are different.

So far, this is what I have. I'm having alot of trouble shading the girl though.. any advice would be warmly accepted.

Thanks

http://www.slight-shift.com/Old/boc3.jpg

cuddlesmcsavage
04-17-2006, 07:41 PM
i love it already! i cant wait to see the finished piece. one note; i think maybe the clouds in the top right need to be smoothed out just a tad, but maybe i'm just being picky...

Opeth
04-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey man, thanks :)
About the clouds - I think i'mna color the girl before refining the enviorment. Then i'll see where everything stands and correct the area's in need of correction.

Thanks again.

cuddlesmcsavage
04-18-2006, 01:07 AM
no problem! just keep posting as you go, i'm interested to see where you take it!

Opeth
04-18-2006, 11:38 PM
well, after doing FOUR different attempts at coloring the face, I've given up for today with this being the last version. I'mna do a new version tomorrow and hope for the best.

C&C would be great

thanks

http://www.slight-shift.com/Old/boc4.jpg

cuddlesmcsavage
04-19-2006, 12:34 AM
ooh, i like where this is going, although is the face a little too green?

jackie66
04-19-2006, 01:16 AM
It looks great. I love the colors and her expression.
Looking forward to seeing more!
Jackie.

Opeth
04-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys.
The face is too green indeed, escapizm. That's why I'mna repaint it today.
Jackie - thanks. Hope I'll have something to show soon ;)

Balkandude
04-19-2006, 09:22 AM
I like it very much, the atmosphere of your pic is greath!

Carter88
04-19-2006, 12:09 PM
ah i love Boards of Canada great music, is the picture supposed to be inspired by the campfire headphase album?
Looks great btw

Opeth
04-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Balkandude - Thanks mate. Atmosphere is the most important aspect for me in this one.
Carter - What does it remind you of? When I was in scotland a few months ago, I listened none stop to "In a beautiful place out in the country" trying to, successfully I might add, create an artificial asosiation link between scotlands and that album. That's the album I was most ifluenced by here.

cuddlesmcsavage
04-19-2006, 05:57 PM
lol, i didnt even know boards of canada was a band until yesterday when my mate bought one of their albums randomly at best buy. coincidence you say?

Opeth
04-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Alright, before the little update, I'd just wanna say:
Escapizm - Yes. COOL coincidence, cool and unlikely enough for us to notice, but a coincidence none the less.

And to the update: I did another two paintings of the face from scratch today - making it a total of six :)
This is the final one and I must admit I'm rather pleased with it, though I am certain there is much I could improve, so C&C would be much appreciated:

http://www.slight-shift.com/Old/boc6.jpg

Carter88
04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I think it was the use of light blues and greens in the background looking a bit like the cover for the previously mentioned album, yeah bit of a crap link i know but thats what jumped out for me. I've just come back from scotland after visting the Isle of Lewis with some friends, i listened to alot of BOC plus also some 65 days of static and explosions in the sky they all acted as soundtracks almost for the surrounding landscape

miguelslo
04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
I think the right eye should be moved a little more to the left! I think ? :shrug:

Opeth
04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Carter - I'm checking out the names you gave me. any other names I should look into? I, meanwhile, suggest you have a look at Four tet. He's great.

miguelslo - You're absolutely right. There's a proportion and position problem witht he face. I shall move her left eye inwards and elevate the nose and mouth slightly.

Thanks - more updates today I hope.

Opeth
04-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Alright, a little late and not too much to show but here it is:
1) changed the proportions in the face a little, I think it looks alot better like this.
2) Started coloring in the cloths. I'm not sure these are the final colors and I'm gonna probably increase the red and the contrast in them.

Anyway, as always, C&C will be more than welcome, and is even required :)

http://www.slight-shift.com/Old/boc7.jpg

cuddlesmcsavage
04-30-2006, 03:25 AM
i think maybe the red in the cheeks is a bit too saturated. although it could be my screen....
keep it coming! i want to see how the clothes turn out!

Opeth
04-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Right,
Even though it seems like I'm posting updates mostly for myself here, I'll continue none the less :)
Escapizm - how's it look now?
I changed much of the face colors, some of the shading, redid the lips entirely, and continued with the hand... just keeping the project on a low flame for now...
As always, C&C are most welcome, that's what I'm posting for.

http://www.slight-shift.com/Old/boc8.jpg

Opeth
05-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Ok, I know I haven't been making much progress lately (It's because I installed that blasted Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion game, which is sucking my life!) but I really need some advice here, because I'm on the verge of going into details after laying out the colors I thought were right.
So please, any crits you have, I'd really like to hear'em.
Thanks

http://www.slight-shift.com/Old/boc9.jpg

Grondhammar
05-01-2006, 09:29 PM
hiya, lovely picture. My only comment is, why? Why is this downhearted girl sitting in the middle of a cold wasteland cradling what appears to be a studio microphone? Will we have any clues from the finished painting, or is it simply to leave us wondering?

Really gorgeous light, lovely texture possibilities, nice form. It's got everything, I just don't quite understand the image.

dEDa
05-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Beautiful work, I like everything, light, landscape, hair, expression of the face... really nice!!
dEDa

cuddlesmcsavage
05-02-2006, 10:15 PM
i love you blending in the clothes, very similar to what i try and achieve. you should put more depth into the shadows under her arms and between her legs etc. also, i just realised that the bottom end of the pole doesnt line up with the top half....also try and pick out some highlights on the nose and mouth like you have on the edge of the face. i really like this piece a lot.

Opeth
05-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi dudes, thanks for the comments.

dEDa - Thanks mate. I'm glad you like it, you're giving me some much needed motivation to finnish this.

escapizm - Thanks man. I read your comment yesterday, but I was a bit drunk, so I read it today again and it makes alot more sense now :)
So anyway, I like comments which give me practical crits I can change - very helpfull. Thanks :)

Grondhammar - First of all, thanks. Glad you like it. You really wanna know why? Well, as I explained before somewhere here, I was in scotland (where this girl is sitting, supposably) and I was listening to Board of Canada (atmospheric electronic music) there none stop in order to artificailly make a mental assosiation between the music and the atmosphere of scotland - and it worked. So whenever I hear certain songs of theirs I get a strong vibe of scotland. Then I found out they were from Scotland (BOC), so it was a funny coincidense. Anyway, I wanted to creat an image through which the atmosphere will be portrayed, so I wanted a pretty and somewhat melancholic looking girl sitting in scotland, and the microphone was just an idea I got later - it's supposed to make the link between the music and the Scottish wildreness by "recording its sounds".
SHEESH! that came out long. I sure hope it answers your question :)

More to come today.

Opeth
05-03-2006, 03:55 PM
OK!
I think i'm done, what do you guys think?
Is it ready to be posted in the final work forum?

Be glad to hear your opinions about the color correction etc.

http://www.slight-shift.com/Old/bocS.jpg

thanks

Grondhammar
05-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the explanation Opeth, and sorry I missed the part about Scotland you posted earlier.

I think it's perfect for giving that feeling of slight melancholy. Your colour scheme really sets the mood well, and her eyes are Great for this theme. Ready to go to finished work!

Oh, and have you thought of sending a small version of this to BOC? maybe you could get an album cover deal out of it... their cover style is more abstract, but ya never know :)

cuddlesmcsavage
05-04-2006, 04:35 PM
i love all the final renderings, nice and clean and the light works really well. i would say that it was done, but the pole is still out of line!! its bothering me!!

Opeth
05-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey guys
Sorry I neglected to mention, but I've posted a final image here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3528187#post3528187

And actually... I've done a couple of fixed editions since which aren't here, but these are the othe reditions:
www.slight-shift.com/Old/bocS2.jpg (fixed some problems with this image)
www.slight-shift.com/Old/bocG.jpg (this version is one I've sent for print for the studio I work in)

C&C, again, are welcome, even though I'm not changing it again! hehe

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2006, 10:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.