PDA

View Full Version : UV map issue.

SpiralFace
04-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey all.

So basicaly, I UV'ed everything in Maya, imported the obj into zbrush with multiple UV layouts, and I was sure to follow all the rules of keeping the UV layouts in positive space....

But I screwed up on something very stupid..

A single line of UV's from the second UV set crossed over into the UV layout of the first set. This pretty much pushed all of the faces from that object into the other UV set. Normaly I whould'nt care as I whould just render it out and then fix it up in Photoshop, the problem is that the UV's from the face that should'nt be in the UV set now overlaps UV texture space from the object that should be in that set.

Basicaly, is there a way to get that line of faces transfered over into the other UV set, or is there a way to modify the UV's so I can get that object out of the UV area? Or is there a way to modify it in Maya, and just Import the UV's into z-brush so I don't loose all the work I did on the subdivied model?

rasamaya
04-17-2006, 08:03 AM
I dont know if this will help...

If I understand, you did UVs in Maya then imported to zbrush did some great modeling and then realized your uvs were not correct. You can re-import your base model to level one sub Division after fixing the UVs in maya and re saving your obj. The new UVs will update seamless. Colormap or bumps would have to be repainted in corrected area.
Ok, I re read your post, im tired OK. This should still help. ok me sleep now Poof!

SpiralFace
04-17-2006, 05:52 PM
I dont know if this will help...

If I understand, you did UVs in Maya then imported to zbrush did some great modeling and then realized your uvs were not correct. You can re-import your base model to level one sub Division after fixing the UVs in maya and re saving your obj. The new UVs will update seamless. Colormap or bumps would have to be repainted in corrected area.

By re-importing my OBJ file, should I have anything specific open or loaded so I don't loose all of the detail I modeled onto the originals subdivisions? I just don't want to import something that will pretty much just have no subdivision info. ( I'm not worried about color or bump yet as I'm trying to export a normal map out of z-mapper

rasamaya
04-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Just try it, you have your z model saved anyway. SO open your model in z brush, go to level one subdivision and now import new obj. It will keep the subD history of the other model and update your UVs. Cheers and GoodLuck.

SpiralFace
04-17-2006, 06:11 PM
As I thought, when I re-imported it into z-brush, It did'nt have any of my subdivision history. I even exported the base mesh of my tool and fixed it up before re-exporting the thing out so the vert placement whould be exactly the same.

Still did'nt work by useing the standard "Import" option in the tools menu.

Is there a way to update and exisiting tools mesh by an imported file? Or is there a path I need to take after doing what I did? Because the standard way of importing is simply just makeing my tool from scratch.

rasamaya
04-18-2006, 01:44 AM
It will make a tool from scratch if you dont have your finished(subdivided model)open and on edit. So lets try again. In Zbrush, export subdiv level one as a obj for maya. Fix UVs in Maya, save obj(importing obj on false etc). Now in zbrush look at your advanced model, rotate it, go up to a high subdiv and back down to subdivision level one, now click import(tools menu) and bring in your Maya updated obj. All your subdivisions will be there. Save as a new tool. Your Uvs should be updated. Ha ha, sometimes the little things are a pain, but atleast its fixable!

SpiralFace
04-18-2006, 06:01 AM
Yep that did it. Thanks alot.

For anyone looking at this tread, The way it works is by going into the importing SUB MENU and not the import right there at the top of the tools Pallete (The entire reason I got confused the first time.)

rasamaya
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Ha ha, that took too long, Ill be sure to take the time to do a step by step, myself before offering future advice. Its just so rare, I get to help people in return for helping me! :) I must have got all excited!

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.