PDA

View Full Version : Crossing over.

Agraba
12-31-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey guys, i am strongly considering to switch over from max to LW.

I just need to know if there are any other former Max users here, if you found it a good switch or a bad one and why ?

Also i would like to know if there is a good beginners tutorial like max has the Joan Of Arc tutorial i would like to know if lightwave has a similar.

Thanks for any answears.

Remi
12-31-2002, 08:01 PM
I switched about 6 years ago and it wasn't to hard of a transition for me.....very easy learning curve...NEWTEK (http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/index.html) has alot of tutorials....good luck and I hope this helped:thumbsup:

policarpo
12-31-2002, 09:00 PM
i switched about 2 years ago or so...i was a big user of Max 4.2, and i found myself getting up to speed in LightWave in a matter of days.

you should have a good time with it.

be sure to get a hold of the demo version if you are just curious...i think you will end up really enjoying the application.

good luck.

oh yeah...like REMI said...the LightWave3D site has a butload of tutorials...as well as this portal to tutorials:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Agraba
12-31-2002, 09:02 PM
policarpo: Thanks, i will D/L it.
And thanks for the links guys, it's really helpfull.

Captain
12-31-2002, 09:06 PM
I cam from a heavy past in level editing and designing for things like half life and unreal. My first 3d modeler was max, which was quite similar to them. But before i got to into max i took a class at my Highschool that used lightwave, so I naturally learned lightwave. I personally have found lightwave to be much more simple. The transition will be hard at first because you will have to get used to the formation of objects, which is slightly different from that in 3ds. After you get the hang though it begins to fly. Especially with experimentation. I found that in lightwave, experimenting with the tools to find out what each does is far more forgiving then in other programs (in other words you can actually understand what they do almost instantly). This is a good switch in most cases. It depends what you indtend to do. If you want to make animations and films this is a perfect program...however, if making videogame content is your fancy, this may not be the way. Lightwave is being used for many next gen games like Doom 3, but is more complex and confusing when working on older games like half life.

Captain.

Lewis3D
12-31-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi Agraba !

Also it would be good to check http://www.lwg3d.org site wich is one of Biggest 3D forums (and best LW only forum - IMHO). There you will find many LW tutorials and help for all kind of questions.

P.S. But be warned - you will became addicted to LW ;).

Remi
12-31-2002, 09:16 PM
Don't be afraid to push buttons you can't break the prog....:surprised

Agraba
12-31-2002, 09:17 PM
Hehe, i would be the idiot who presses all the buttons !
Thanks guys, a really good response :D

leigh
01-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Heya :)
I used Max for about 2 years or so before switching to LightWave in July 2001. I never used Max again :)
But different strokes for different folks, eh? I find that for me personally, LightWave just suits my style of working/workflow, and so I find it a much better program for myself.

However, I must admit that I do feel that it is a superior piece of software, but shhhhh... you didn't hear me say that ;)

I found Max just couldn't do what I wanted it do do. I found it way to limiting, whereas LightWave just lets you create anything you can possibly imagine with ease :D

I also found the transition really easy - it took me a day or two to become accustomed to the new interface and tools, and all I had to learn the software was the manual (which I LOVE) and some online tutorials :)

CGmonkey
01-01-2003, 02:27 AM
Agraba - BYT INTE, by all that is holy... snälla.. låt inte snubbarna på grafiskt forum snacka om dig. MAX, snälla.. *begging* :)

Anyways, hope that you'll choose the app that is best.. :P

Agraba
01-01-2003, 04:08 AM
lol, sorry SubDimension :shrug:

But this is something i have to do :curious:

I am downloading that demo, so you get a Big Book when you purchase it ?

dark_lotus
01-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Hey Good for you!

I was using MAX before I switched to Lightwave. I've never looked back.

Good Luck, the tutorials on lightwave3d.com are awesome, and you should have it down pat very quickley

Brett H.
01-01-2003, 07:29 PM
That "Joan of Arc" tut converts relatively easily to LW. I have done it, and it's a nice teaching tool into "how do I do in LW what they've done in Max". Give it a shot once you get your feet wet, you'll see what I mean.

Brett

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.