PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine

JCha
04-16-2006, 02:42 PM
This is something I started for fun one day. I was thinking a different look for wolverine. I guess just different hair, like a buzz cut look.

I would greatly appreciate critiques on color, lighting and anything that is lacking.
thank you :)
http://www.jangjooncha.com/wolverine%5Fwip.jpg

Naisart
04-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi,
I like the new look you have given him but at the same time it makes him look like anyone else. By that I mean that itīs kind of hard to see right away that it is actually wolverine. Especially as his hands with the claws that is his characteristic, are left in dark. The lower part of the image is kind of hard to see, maybe itīs just my screen.

That is also why itīs kind of hard to critique the image. Maybe you should have a more concrete lighsource and perhaps a second lightsource to give him more depth and make him stand out.

I also think the pose is kind of stiff although he seems to have alot of confidence in that pose. I would probably have changed the legs and made him stand with his legs spread apart, to give a sense of stabillity.

I think the anatomy looks good, maybe the arms and hands are a bit too large but I think it fits. Right now he looks annoyed, donīt know if that is the expression you wanted to give him, but if you want to make him look angry, maybe make him show his teeth.

This would look a lot better with something in the bakground. Looks very empty right now.
I like it, keep it up!

secretasianman
04-16-2006, 05:13 PM
not sure kinda looks like basketball player meets cowboy.

the claws look realy small and short compared to what they usually look.

the face looks more like a face you see on a black american, to me a least.

wolvie did a short hair thing before so not so drastic.

i have to think on it so i will check back.

JCha
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
thanks munphy and secretasianman, his pose is a bit stiff, showing his teeth would look kool because he does look annoyed which would be ok if he was like in a bar scene, but he's not. A second light source should be added to bring him out. I wanted a squinty clint eastwood lookin face, but i guess he looks black because of the cheeck bones and eyes?

GSmiley
04-17-2006, 06:32 PM
It is hard to see this image due to the darkness. I have to squint pretty hard. The character to me looks like just an ordinary dude, just with some claws. I guess if you want a more realistic wolverine thats cool, but I always go for the wild costumed comicbook characters more.

cuddlesmcsavage
04-17-2006, 07:18 PM
you've done pretty well with the anatomy of the character, everything seems to be in the right place, but i think maybe his arms are disproportionally too big. They make him seem a little awkward. You should try and work something into the background to make it a bit more interesting, and you definitely need to to work in more highlights into the body, as there is very little depth. I like where you are going with this though, im looking forward to see the finished product!

JCha
04-19-2006, 04:28 AM
well I had some free time so I worked on the pissed off wolverine again
thank you for the critiques, really helps out
I darkened the areas around the hand to make it look smaller, dunno if that worked a bit
critiques are very welcome:wip:
http://www.jangjooncha.com/wolverine_wip2.jpg

cuddlesmcsavage
04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
i think this piece really is still too dark, it doesnt help with the mood, but its at the point where it is hard to look at. you should really bring out the highlights that you already have, just make them more pronounced. it will do wonders for the depth.

BlackLight
04-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I agree with escapizm, I think the image is too dark. By that I mean there is not enough dynamic range in the image. Just because you want an image to appear 'dark' it doesn't mean you have to use only dark shades in it. Just make sure the image is predominantly dark. I've taken the libery of crudely adjusting the curves of your last posted image in Photoshop to show what I mean.

Also, the fact that the image looks OK to you shows that you're probably working with your monitor's brightness turned up too high.

JCha
04-19-2006, 10:57 PM
thanks guys
i totally understand now, yeh its wayy too dark, need more highlights, great critique
i shall make the changes suggested :)

JCha
04-19-2006, 11:21 PM
i worked on the lighting more
am I going the right direction?
made the highlights brighter

secretasianman
04-20-2006, 01:07 AM
maybe my prob is that when i think of wolvie i think of him as he is exposed to be a short stocky guy.

he is exposed to be pretty short but a little wide.

you might need to reference him a litle more.

http://www.sfgalleries.net/art/mvc2/series1/wolverine-bone.jpg

http://www.comicsubscriptions.co.uk/images/stock/preorder/wolverine_soultaker_1.jpg

this is the wolvie i see, the cut of the face is different.

don't just try and bring out highlights, but bring the hole pic out more with light.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2006, 01:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.