PDA

View Full Version : Asymetrical lifeform - Crits welcome

Abiogenesis
04-16-2006, 12:29 PM
This is still somewhat of a WIP, and of particular interest to me is how to give texture to the skin without it looking washed out.

This is one of my first digital paintings [usually do lineart], so technical advice welcome and appreciated!

Abiogenesis
04-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Heres a new mouth, less mechanical. I'll start work on the ground tonight.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Molotov_71/cega.jpg

djtrousdale
04-17-2006, 02:40 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty amazed :D interesting creature, and I'm still totally oblivious about how lighting/shading/reflection works, the way you did it makes it look very convincing.

Oh, and welcome :D

Abiogenesis
04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Thank you for the compliment!

However, i'm convinced that a key step is missing from this piece.

I am seeking to become professional and so honest, technical crits would be seriously appreciated.

I mainly need advice on lighting and giving the creature's skin more texture.

Any techniques/suggestions?

Abiogenesis
04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Thank you for the compliment!

However, i'm convinced that a key step is missing from this piece.

I am seeking to become professional and so honest, technical crits would be seriously appreciated.

I mainly need advice on lighting and giving the creature's skin more texture.

Any techniques/suggestions?

cuddlesmcsavage
04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
first of all your pink lighting looks awesome, it works really well. with regards to texture, you should only really work it into the areas where you have the white highlights, otherwise the monster thing will get too cluttered. you could work from reference for the skin texture, but because of the distance from the monster, a simple crosshatching may just pull it off nicely. to make it interact more with the surroundings you should add some reflections in the water. i also just noticed that the pink light on the underside will reflect onto some of the legs, but you should also darken up some of the shadows to add some depth. i like the simple background, it works well and helps with the atmosphere. i cant wait to see it done!

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.