PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Lighting

Beechdbum
04-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey everyone, This is my recent hw assignment. We were told to make a shot from a tombstone to a church in 5 sec. we had about two weeks to do it. We were given the models and the lighting, shading, texturing, and compositing was up to us. No occlusion or GI allowed. It was rendered in renderman for maya. Any Critiques or suggestions are more then welcome. Thanks in advance - beechdbum

Animation
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~bbeech/bbeech_lighting_new.mov (http://webspace.ringling.edu/%7Ebbeech/bbeech_lighting_new.mov)

Stills
http://webspace.ringling.edu/%7Ebbeech/bbeech_lighting.jpg
(http://webspace.ringling.edu/%7Ebbeech/bbeech_lighting.jpg)

jipe
04-17-2006, 01:20 AM
link not working for anyone else?

Beechdbum
04-17-2006, 02:41 AM
I had a friend out side of school check the image and the link for me. He said there both working fine. :shrug:Anyone else having this problem?

Rens
04-17-2006, 03:13 AM
Hi, nice lighting. :thumbsup:

Some comments:
- The DOF doesn't make much sense. Especially when you look at the overhanging branches from the tree on the left. At some point it's blurred while the foreground and background are in focus. It looks like it was done in post by hand.
- The blur/glow is a bit too much. It's especially visible on the trees. It looks like the lens isn't clean, like a Diffusion filter. Don't know if that's the intent though.
- The sun seems to be coming from roughly a 45 degree angle but the mood suggests a sunset/-rise. It'll look better if you lower the sun light.
- Last frame; the tombstone on the left and the big tree on the right have double shadows.

The lighting is very nice although the tombstone might be a bit too bright, also the light spilling from the edges of it is a bit odd.

EDIT - No problem with the link BTW.

Beechdbum
04-17-2006, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the reply Rens, Im curious what you meant about the strange light spilling from the edges. Do you think that it just shouldnt go down the left side as far, or rather that I should get rid of it all together? btw you have a good eye, your the first person to spot the double shadow. I remeber reading somewhere Jermery Birn saying that every light should have a shadow, I guess ill try softening it some more then. Ill get updates posted as soon as possible. Thanks again - Ben

Rens
04-17-2006, 06:26 AM
No problem. I meant in the first frame, the tombstone on the right, it has some yellowish light coming from all the sides. Like the sun is illuminating it from different angles, you know? I don't know what the geometry is like exactly but it would seem more natural if it were to come from one side or not visible at all.

Thanks. :) Yea every light should have it's shadow (shadow is the absence of that light, by an object blocking it for example). But when you have a somewhat clearly defined shadow that means that the light source is pretty small, like a lightbulb, or the sun. The other light source in your scene is the sky. As it's absolutely huge you would get light coming from all around it, so the shadow would also spread out in all directions, it would be very soft.
Having two clearly defined shadow directions gives the impression that there are two suns, or a sun and a strong artificial light.

So how's Ringling, is it as nice a school as it seems to be?

Good luck,
Rens

Beechdbum
04-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Hmm I think what happened is I had made a fill light comming from back right of the scene. It is responsible for the second shadows and two much of a glow on the tombstone. I had continued to push it because it was illuminating the front of the house and some of the tombstone witha nice warm light. I think some more carefull light linking should be able to resolve the problem.

As for Ringling it has its ups and downs like any schools. Overall Id say we get a very good understanding of animation, and just enough of a base in other areas like lighting to explore on our own. The teachers will help you on the side which very nice. How do you like VFS? Ive seen quite a few nice VFX reels come from there recently.

Rens
04-26-2006, 07:09 AM
As for Ringling it has its ups and downs like any schools. Overall Id say we get a very good understanding of animation, and just enough of a base in other areas like lighting to explore on our own. The teachers will help you on the side which very nice. How do you like VFS? Ive seen quite a few nice VFX reels come from there recently.

Sorry about the late response.

Yep, every school has their problems (schedule problems, teachers leaving, ...) but VFS is the first one I've attended (I've attended a lot) where they seem to actually do something about most of those problems. On the other hand, this school is also a lot more expensive than any other I've been to. :)
The course is divided into two halves, first six months is the same for everyone, second six months is where you pick a stream; animation, VFX or modeling and you work on your demo reel. It's only one year and even though it's an insanely intense year there isn't much room for, say, lighting, other than the basics. We do get a lot of different classes like life drawing and storyboarding, which is nice. It's not just learning to push the buttons.

VFS is mostly known for its modeling reels. To make a really great VFX or animation reel in six months is hard if you don't have previous experience or a nack for it. Modeling doesn't have as much different aspects to it and seems to be picked up faster.

How's the cemetery coming along?

Beechdbum
05-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey, sorry for lack of updates. Unfortunatly I had to spend my last week or so of school dedicated to my final projects for class. and do to my own personal lack of renderman for maya, I cant continue on this version. My plan is to take this scene and convert it to RAT shaders and to be PRman complient over the summer, along with remodeling the scene so I can completly call it my own. Not to mention no more 5 min render time limit :) Untill then Its gonna have to stay in its current state :/. Ill be sure to post updates asap. - ben

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2006, 06:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.