PDA

View Full Version : DIY motion capture application WIP

yoshi-mocap
04-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Hello,

I am currently developing a motion capture application.
http://www.geocities.com/mocap_is_fun/

relief7
04-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Wow, nice application... Do you calculate marker position data and extract joint rotations from the camera views yourself and, if yes, is there any ik involved ?

What GUI framework did you use ? I like the GUI, it looks good.

yoshi-mocap
04-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks. With 2D marker positions from different views, I reconstruct 3D marker positions which drive the skeleton animation. There is a little bit of IK, for example the shin bones which dont have any markers attached are animated by feet position/orientation which have 3 markers. GUI framework is made with MFC. 3D rendering is with DirectX.

sixtyten
04-17-2006, 03:15 AM
cool man, its looking good. i'm interested in the camera setup you use. it looks like only 3 cameras, does this give you any problems with markers being obscured by the actor at times?

also, why does the "popping" occur? is that a tracking problem?

yoshi-mocap
04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm using 6 cameras. And yup, jumpy animation is caused by false tracking of markers. I need to improve that algorithm. Otherwise I would need to identify the markers by hand each time tracking fails.

Halma
04-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Very interesting.

I'm wondering, could you tell us what kind of cameras you're using? I wanted to make my own motion capture system a while ago, but I couldn't find any decent affordable cameras.

tciny
04-18-2006, 07:53 AM
I'd really like to watch the videos but unfortunately neither WindowsMedia for Mac nor Flip would play it... maybe you can offer a QuickTime, Flash or mpg alternative for people who dont use Windows...

yoshi-mocap
04-18-2006, 11:04 PM
OK, posted one QuickTime mov file. Hope you enjoy it.

yoshi-mocap
04-19-2006, 07:45 PM
video of my app is also posted at google video:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=mocap+project

freeschwag
04-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi yoshi,

Your app looks like it's going to be quite nice. :)

Are you documenting this elsewhere so's others might learn
from your experiences? I'd be curious to know your setup
in terms of hardware (camera type), placement of camera's, what kind of
equipment you've chosen to actually track from (outfit/clothing),
how you've set up your surrounding environment (green screen?), why
you've chosen 30 markers....stuff like that. ;)

Anyhow, it's all looking good!

Cheers.

Robert Bateman
04-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Otherwise I would need to identify the markers by hand each time tracking fails.

This is probably a feature worth having anyway. It's unlikely that your marker tracking will ever work in *all* cases, so manual keying is probably going to be needed at some point anyway. (it also makes the app feature complete early on, extra methods to fill in the blanks when marker tracking fails can still be added later on.... ).

tciny
04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
thanks yoshi! looks very promising.

like freeschwag said it'd be real interesting to hear what experiences you made so far!

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.