PDA

View Full Version : Turtle 3 benchmarks?

yinako
04-16-2006, 06:13 AM
has anyone tested new turtle 3? how does it compare with MR's in FG/GI/Image lighting features? and speeds? I have heard its fast on GI and FG then MR, is this true? by how much?

yinako
04-17-2006, 09:23 AM
I have done some simple test my self with GI/FG and AO, GI/FG seems on par with MR, but not leaps faster, the AO seems more smooth and faster.. I dont have much experience other than whats in the offical doc/tut.

Goggle
04-17-2006, 04:59 PM
For Ambient Occlusion Turtle is definitively so much better, more faster and so much beautiful result !

infernoskull
04-17-2006, 11:26 PM
i just upgraded from turtle 2 a week ago, so ill do some tests and get back to you, form what i've seen so far, turtle is hella faster than mental ray.

infernoskull
04-18-2006, 12:06 AM
ok i know this is a crappy scene i made but its just a test for observational purposes

the scene has: - a yellow spotlight
- Raytraced shadows (40 Rays)
- Blue environment
- 10000 polygons total

for both tests i used the same camera and settings, all i changed was the renderer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/josh_nisbeth/RenderComparison.jpg

as you can see the turtle one is much brighter and more accurate, plus its a lot sharper, and there aare no artifacts.

the mental ray shot had, Sampling min0 max2 and 100 final gather rays
the turtle shot had, Sampling min1 max8 and 1000 final gather rays

turtle is by far the better renderer, i did some global illumination tests with photons and caustics and turtle was incredibly fast.

the best part about turtle is that you can render low poly objects and turtle converts them to subdivision surfaces that are incredibly smooth. this way you can work on low poly in the viewport, without havig to worry about slowdown, and at render time everything is smoothed. i did some tests and set it to render a lowpoly sphere and then set it to subdivide it 5 times at rendertime and the render time only incresed 1 second.

since the turtle scene took only 25 seconds and teh mental ray took 1:27, that means that turtle was 5 times faster, and to top it off, the turtle reder had 10 times the final gather rays, and 4 times the sampling. TURTLE RULES!

infernoskull
04-18-2006, 12:20 AM
just did another test, this one had full GI and final gather, and only took 1:45

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/josh_nisbeth/boxrender.jpg

Joss
04-18-2006, 01:07 AM
How is Turtle 3 with Paint FX & Hair/Fur? I'm always on the lookout for better solutions to those.

yinako
04-18-2006, 04:58 AM
hey inferno: your results are contradicting to mine, I had tested pur FG scene and MR was atleast 2x faster, but thats just one test scene. I had the FG scene shown on turtle tutorial site: http://www.illuminatelabs.com/support/tutorial-folder/basic-final-gather/

re-rednered with MR, and its not only better but faster, and the box edges has no artifacts.

I had also re-rendered the cornell box(turtle tutorial file) with MR, and both are similar, however MR did not look as physically correct as turtles for the same time.

Also I believe the turtle AO does more than just AO its multiplies with other lights perhaps.

yinako
04-18-2006, 05:36 AM
heres the images, I used trutle with 3000 FGrays accordign to their tut to avoid the box artifacts, so I used MR with only 1000 rays and no artifacts problems. and I had to use IBL with sky colour to match that with turtle and both rendered with same contrast threshold and mutil pixel filter.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/yinako/turtleFG.jpg
turtle with FG 3000 rays 2:46min

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/yinako/mrFG.jpg
MR FG with 1000 rays 1:37min

yinako
04-18-2006, 05:52 AM
the best part about turtle is that you can render low poly objects and turtle converts them to subdivision surfaces that are incredibly smooth.

this can be done in MR too, I actually test both turtle and MR's render time tessellations they were not much differences

Also I check both renderes scene setup time and translaion time, its not a big difference, turtle maybe a couple of seconds faster, but it don't meant much. On a side note, I also evaluated Render man for Maya, the translation time is very fast, almost 1 second to kick off a render with a basic scene. And is very fast for tesslation of subdivision polyongs, I believe it works differently it doesnt tesselate at render time.

dagon1978
04-18-2006, 09:03 PM
as you can see the turtle one is much brighter and more accurate

why??

plus its a lot sharper, and there aare no artifacts.

uh?? :argh:
look at the shadows, mr are using much more sampling!
and use lanczos for sharper images!!

the best part about turtle is that you can render low poly objects and turtle converts them to subdivision surfaces that are incredibly smooth. this way you can work on low poly in the viewport, without havig to worry about slowdown, and at render time everything is smoothed. i did some tests and set it to render a lowpoly sphere and then set it to subdivide it 5 times at rendertime and the render time only incresed 1 second.

are u sure u know how use mr? :)

TURTLE RULES!

:D fanboy

dagon1978
04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
mray 3.4
1m 50s
single amd 3200+@2400 1gb

ciau ;)

mat

infernoskull
04-19-2006, 01:03 AM
I dont know why you are getting slower render times, i get 5 to 10 times faster renders, turtle takes a lot more tweaking to get rid of those artifacts on the edge of that box, but i can assure you ll that turtle is the better renderer.

The cornell box scene i did was on max settings so i am sure that all of the renders that i did can be optimized. I have done tons of tests with mr and none of the time have the renders ben faster than turtle with mental ray.

ON that example wth the crate, to get rid of the artifacts on the small details, i think all you gotta change is the final gather smooth size.

it really surprises me that people are getting faster renders with Mental Ray.

Just to note i am using maya 7, if that makes any difference.

Venkman
04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
mray 3.4
1m 50s

ciau ;)

mat

you guys better watch out, dagon1978 really knows his Mental Ray. Look at any of the MR threads out there and you can see his posts.

Fireantz
04-20-2006, 01:23 AM
mray 3.4
1m 50s

ciau ;)

mat

Ya...Dagon1978 is my mentalray's Master. Look thought all thread by post by Dagon1978. U all will know...."MentalRay"....much more and much more powerful that u think.
i use turtle b4, but still the Mentalray renderer more work good for me.( my own opinion):p

ciau;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2006, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.