PDA

View Full Version : First Digital Matte

aviator88
04-15-2006, 10:10 PM
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7500/firstmattewip9ah.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

Hello Everyone,

My name is Steve and im a highschool student in CA.

I'v been following this forum since it was created by the moderators, and I decided to post my first Digital Matte.

I know many other artist here are very talented and skilled, so please feel free to sugest, comment or critic my painting.

I used Adobe Photoshop, first sketched with brushes and I found images of different things like mountains, water, sky and made a composition.

I hope you like it.

Steve.

EDIT : It is WIP

JJASSO
04-15-2006, 10:59 PM
welcome aviator88 , matte painting is such a great and fun art you will discover it.

first of all I suggest a quick rough sketch for any kind of mattepainting project it can be just rough lines to see how composition will flow, color to start creating a mood, etc
in this idea you have I think composition is not working well, as I see the castle is the center of attention in this image but it is so close to the right edge making the image split in two, cause youy have a smaller architecture to the left, that also calls for attention.
the sky you're using is a sunset that appears to have a very flat orange-pink-violet color try changing it, or look for a new one on the net, when you get it or if your are going to keep this one remember about light, sunset is a strong mood, then all the elements in the image should have a little of the sky color, remember highlights in the architecture and shadows of course,
I siggest checking out the landscape composition rules inside the tutorial thread, you will have a better idea of what you really want and a better technical and artistic execution
good luck .

MystAvalon
04-16-2006, 04:38 AM
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7500/firstmattewip9ah.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

Hello Everyone,

My name is Steve and im a highschool student in CA.

I'v been following this forum since it was created by the moderators, and I decided to post my first Digital Matte.

I know many other artist here are very talented and skilled, so please feel free to sugest, comment or critic my painting.

I used Adobe Photoshop, first sketched with brushes and I found images of different things like mountains, water, sky and made a composition.

I hope you like it.

Steve.

EDIT : It is WIP

Hi Steve,
I just wanted to say great job so far. I'm new at this too, and I think you did good to post it up.
Take care,
Kelly

aviator88
04-16-2006, 04:51 AM
welcome aviator88 , matte painting is such a great and fun art you will discover it.

first of all I suggest a quick rough sketch for any kind of mattepainting project it can be just rough lines to see how composition will flow, color to start creating a mood, etc
in this idea you have I think composition is not working well, as I see the castle is the center of attention in this image but it is so close to the right edge making the image split in two, cause youy have a smaller architecture to the left, that also calls for attention.
the sky you're using is a sunset that appears to have a very flat orange-pink-violet color try changing it, or look for a new one on the net, when you get it or if your are going to keep this one remember about light, sunset is a strong mood, then all the elements in the image should have a little of the sky color, remember highlights in the architecture and shadows of course,
I siggest checking out the landscape composition rules inside the tutorial thread, you will have a better idea of what you really want and a better technical and artistic execution
good luck .

Hi Jamesvfx,

Thank you for your suggestions, i will defnitely fix what you said.

By the way, I think your works are absolutely fantasTIC!!! Really Really an awesome Job.

Thanks again.

aviator88
04-16-2006, 04:52 AM
Hi Steve,
I just wanted to say great job so far. I'm new at this too, and I think you did good to post it up.
Take care,
Kelly

Thank you Kelly !, Appreciate your kind words :).

I would love to see your works sometime.

Steve.

JIII
04-16-2006, 01:26 PM
haha, just click on the link that says "cgportfolio", nice work man. I would work on the resolution and definition of your shapes, you have the shapes down they are just a bit too dark or undefined. Also, I would focus on the colors, quite frankly, that road should NOT be that color. If you do want to keep the road that color make sure it looks 100% photoreal, 100%. It just kind of throws me off.

Nice work man,

Kutkin
04-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Welcome aviator!
Good job on the image so far!

I like the dock and village integration.
But the river is not working...
Let's have a look at river and you'll se, there are reflections.

Keep it up

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2006, 04:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.