PDA

View Full Version : trouble with marbles

Mataeus
04-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Hi all... I have been working on this for a few days now... and I have come close, but no cigar, on the effect of a colored marble. I have a few renders of my work as of yet, with no radiosity, stoichatric(sp) radiosity, and various stages of reflectivity and transparency. what I am going for is this look, with the Star marble and the hearts marble http://www.vtglass.com/marbles/large/marblegroupl.jpg I have attached the source skin I am using for the marble, which is a logo designed by a friend for his site. Also attached are some of my renders of this. Can anyone help me get to a closer look of the marbles from vtglass.com? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Mataeus
04-15-2006, 10:11 AM
here are the rest of the attachments. you can PM me to email the source .c4d file. again, thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

ThirdEye
04-15-2006, 10:16 AM
the objects in the photo you've posted are transparent, yours isn't :shrug:

Kuroyume0161
04-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Transparency and refraction. Marbles are glass. Glass has a refractive index (between 1.5 and 1.9 generally).

Mataeus
04-15-2006, 02:25 PM
the objects in the photo you've posted are transparent, yours isn't :shrug:

no kidding. all it does when i raise the transparency is get bright. like the color faded.

Kuro, I have tried multiple settings and its not seeming to give the correct effect... could you try yourself? use the logo skin and see if you can get the effect that im going for and let me know?

DarkFlite
04-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Have you applied your logo to the transparancy layer?

vid2k2
04-15-2006, 06:47 PM
You may need to adjust a few things before you can get
that trans look. Something like this ?

Edit:

You can also extrude the logo and place it inside the marble.
You can give the logo any color you like as well as the marble itself.
HDRI isn't necessary but some will help.

First image: alpha logo
Second image: extruded logo

Settings:
basically IR=1.3-1.5
add a fresnel and reverse the black and white sliders
play with those to get what you want

Mataeus
04-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes I have applied it to the transparency layer. Vid, thats almost exactly it. i was trying to avoid using HDRI as it needs to be clean, and the logo part itself needs to be black. besides the HDRI image, what settings did u use?

vid2k2
04-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes I have applied it to the transparency layer. Vid, thats almost exactly it. i was trying to avoid using HDRI as it needs to be clean, and the logo part itself needs to be black. besides the HDRI image, what settings did u use?

See my edit above. HTH

JIII
04-16-2006, 12:12 AM
You can also use the old duplicate trick. Create a copy of the original object, and scale it up by .1 or something of that nature, then use that layer to create reflections to your hearts desire. It's a nice technique for adding depth to an object, very easy and handy.

-J3

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2006, 12:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.