PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Mato
12-26-2001, 05:31 AM
Hi i'm starting with 3d and i would like to know if someone tried
Lightwave before XSI and which one is easyest to learn.

Gatsu
12-26-2001, 05:55 AM
For me xsi is esiest to use than lightwave.......but is only an opinion

try the 2 applications and make a choice

Bye

Fat&ugly
12-26-2001, 06:51 PM
I agree, It seems that both focused on having a user friendly interface. In my opinion, XSI did a much better job at it.

dube911
01-14-2002, 07:41 PM
XSI have some very strong points over Lightwave for instance, the subdivision algorithm is very strong in XSI, then there is the render tree which allows you to customize shaders, then there is the FX Tree which is like Eddie (an old compositing software and illusion) then there is Mental Ray v3 which is a great render not the fastest (although MR3 did improve in V2) Softimage has allows been know to be top notch in the animation so if you like to focus your time on animation then I would go with XSI. The mixer is great!!!
But Lightwave is a lot cheaper then XSI, like someone said, try out both software and it will give you a good feel over which package is right for you!....

If you have more precise questions XSI VS Lightwave I would suggest maybe to subscribe to the XSI list (it's free) then you can ask any type of questions.

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Discuss/

However a small note if you have worked with Softimage 3D the learning curve to XSI will be a lot easier to you. If not then don't worry XSI is fairly easy to pick up!

garmul
01-15-2002, 01:28 PM
Hi,
I've try the two of them and even use Lightwave on two short film and I can tell you that even if now I have a softimage licence, I still use some Inspire (Lightwave very light) to do the modeling thing because before XSI 2.0, I finf it impossible to be productive with XSI as long as your job deal with polygons... I have to confess I use nurbs only if I have no choise... In fact I only like them when it come to model some glass, some mud or other mug...

But you'll find some ready to burn me for saying that !

Have a nice day

Marc

CIM
01-16-2002, 01:33 AM
XSI may have a better Subdivision algorithm, but it's poly tools are nowhere near as good as Lightwave's.

Mike RB
01-16-2002, 02:36 AM
And the hair solutions are incredibly similar. :)

Mike

rendermonkey23
01-16-2002, 02:53 AM
I would go for lightwave. I just believe that you get more for your dollar spent with lightwave or max. Although still expensive, there WAY cheaper and you get damn near the same stuff.

XSI, Max, Lightwave, Maya..... there all excellent programs.

Is there a reason your not throwing Max and Maya into the mix. Just curious cause in less than a month you will be able to download Maya FREE (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Special/ple_announce/index.html) . :)

Here's a version of Max that lets you get used to the interface. FREE also. (http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/gmax_index.html)

Martin-K-
01-16-2002, 03:15 AM
but it's poly tools are nowhere near as good as Lightwave's.

and im guessing you have direct experience with XSI 2.0 ?
lets see, XSI can subdivide polys with more than 4 edges ( or points in LW terms )
then theres edge manipilation ( scaling edges, connecting them, etc ( trust me this comes in handy a LOT )
then theres symmetry mode ( its not like mirroring that your used to...its much more than that )
then there are those weird sphere deforming tools. ( the video i seen was in french so i didnt get the exact explaonation. :/ but they do look cool. )
then theres the whole fact that your not only limited to polys...but you got nurbs in there as well for whatever you might want to model, etc..

seriousely....who cares. (cuz in the end, mirai blows em both :P hahaha) ooh i kill me. ::)

jordibares
01-16-2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by CIM
XSI may have a better Subdivision algorithm, but it's poly tools are nowhere near as good as Lightwave's.

In my opinion XSI polygons are the best out there, easy and yet the most powerful. I made some demos for very advanced LW users and all of them are now working with XSI.

Go XSI.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.