PDA

View Full Version : Sunset mountain=>peninsula

Kutkin
04-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi, I didn't want to mess up the Sketch zone thread, so I'm making this thread about my concept turning into a matte painting.
The first one I did using wet brush
http://sweb.cz/Animos_PC/images/Tvorba/sketch_sunset_mountain1.jpg

Then a little bit of tweaking to get this:

http://sweb.cz/Animos_PC/images/Tvorba/z%C3%A1pad2.jpg

Then I tried to get there some details like a village and bridge:
http://sweb.cz/Animos_PC/images/Tvorba/sunset_village1.jpg

But I wasn't very happy with it, so I wanted to model some cubes in C4D as a village.

In Cinema I first tried to creat nice water in the river, so I reconstructed the scene - mountains, platform and sky and cameramapped the image onto this geometry.

I deleted the river from a picture and created a water-plane with water material.

But in that point I tried to give the water material to the platform in front of the mountains and I liked it, looking like a water surface.

So after this all I came up with this:
http://sweb.cz/Animos_PC/images/Tvorba/Peninsula_sunset1_net.jpg
And this:
http://sweb.cz/Animos_PC/images/Tvorba/Peninsula_sunset2_net.jpg

I'm quite happy with it. But the sky and the mountains still ned refinement and adding details.
Hope you guys like it!

cheers

polyfarmer1
04-15-2006, 03:10 AM
I really like the image with out the rendered water plane, but that's just personal preference.
Only crits I have is to work with the composition, use the "rule of thirds" if you're going for a scene like this where you have one main element.
The first images are nice too, very interesting use of colors. The placement of the farm and bridge is very nice! Maybe some more contrast in your colors for the village?
How would it look if you added in some plowed fields or farm lands on the outside of the town? where the dirt and rows of the field show? Looks like you have some of that going on now, but it's very faint.
Your landscape images would be great practice for atmospheric perspective. Objects take on the color of the atmosphere as they receed into the distance. I think that would really help with the over all scale of things. Try using a large softbrush with very little opacity on a seperate layer and see what happens when you start pushing objects back with just that one color.
Keep posting! fun stuff!

Kutkin
04-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I really like the image with out the rendered water plane, but that's just personal preference.
Only crits I have is to work with the composition, use the "rule of thirds" if you're going for a scene like this where you have one main element.
The first images are nice too, very interesting use of colors. The placement of the farm and bridge is very nice! Maybe some more contrast in your colors for the village?
How would it look if you added in some plowed fields or farm lands on the outside of the town? where the dirt and rows of the field show? Looks like you have some of that going on now, but it's very faint.
Your landscape images would be great practice for atmospheric perspective. Objects take on the color of the atmosphere as they receed into the distance. I think that would really help with the over all scale of things. Try using a large softbrush with very little opacity on a seperate layer and see what happens when you start pushing objects back with just that one color.
Keep posting! fun stuff!

Hi polyframer1!
thanks for the crit and suggestions.
I'll try to do something with it...

To the composition:
I heard, that the main element shouldn't be in the middle of the picture, but I tend to have it there:D.

I wanted the river and the clouds to lead the eye to the top of the mountain.
We'll see.

Now I'm working on adding details to the clouds since they look very much like a sketch and I would like to have a Matte Painting of it.

Thanks again

JIII
04-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Nice looking, the first water picture is the best. The second water picture is good but the noise or pattern you used on the water is a bit too predictable, which makes it look a bit too digital.

Very good work, very painterly,

-J3

P.S. I promise to send you info soon, i am just behind on alot of things.

polyfarmer1
04-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Kutkin,
Hope you don't mind but i did a paint over of with your image to help visualize what i was thinking. I'm by no means saying this is the best way to do it, just trying to help with some areas is all. Plus I can learn alot as well by doing this.
The main thing I was wanting to show was the the atmosphereic perspective. I'm thinking I should have put more in at the bottom of the landmass, since it's on the ocean, mist and all.
Hope this helps you out. if you're uncomfortable with someone doing a paintover of your image, just let me know and I'll remove it.
Good luck

Kutkin
04-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Kutkin,
Hope you don't mind but i did a paint over of with your image to help visualize what i was thinking. I'm by no means saying this is the best way to do it, just trying to help with some areas is all. Plus I can learn alot as well by doing this.
The main thing I was wanting to show was the the atmosphereic perspective. I'm thinking I should have put more in at the bottom of the landmass, since it's on the ocean, mist and all.
Hope this helps you out. if you're uncomfortable with someone doing a paintover of your image, just let me know and I'll remove it.
Good luck

Thanks polyframer!
No problem using my image:)
I get it thanks,
Originally the mountains in the distance were supposed to be clouds:D, so I wasn't thinking of atmospheric perspective. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/page6.php) I'll be aware of it in next pictures.
Time to move on. I'll maybe try something more on this image:shrug:, but now I want to focus little bit on Cityscape paintings:buttrock:.

And JIII: looking forward to some info for me to know what to focus on ;)

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2006, 06:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.