PDA

View Full Version : I am quite new to Maya. *Suggestions appreciated*

SaveFerris0330
04-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Hey,

Ever since I was little, I had a strong appreciation for 3d. I loved watching animated movies (shrek) over and over again. I knew, one day I wanted to work for dreamworks.

Yes, It may sound a bit cheesy, but its the truth.

2 years ago, I decided to get started on learning some modeling. I started out with a program that was offered to us in highschool. There, I learned the basics of 3ds Max modeling, and animation. My friend then told me that I was wasting my time with 3ds Max, and that I should start of in Maya. I now have the PLE version of Maya, and I am ready to get started.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, of what to start learning. Any tutorials, that helped you out, in the beginning?

I picked up George Maestri's book, "Maya at a Glance". It has been very helpful in teaching me the interface, and some NURBS, and polygonal techniques.

I also bought the lynda.com Maya tutorial dvd.

Thank you very much!!!

-Mike Cusano

SaveFerris0330
04-14-2006, 08:52 PM
This should be moved to the main maya page.

Sorry about that. <_<

roberte
04-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Mike,

On my site www.robertellisonimaging - in the links section - there are a huge number of links for everything CG imaginable, many free tutorial sites etc. Check it out.

Robert

almux
04-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Mike,

On my site www.robertellisonimaging - in the links section - there are a huge number of links for everything CG imaginable, many free tutorial sites etc. Check it out.

Robert

I would have appreciate to have a look there too... ;o/ But I can't get your page... Is your link ok? Or is it not Safari compatible?

frothlord
04-15-2006, 02:11 AM
My friend then told me that I was wasting my time with 3ds Max, and that I should start of in Maya

Thats not necessarily true. I know Maya, and I'm learning Max to get a job now (I think its the area).

SaveFerris0330
04-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Very nice site!

Yeah, but now that I switched to Maya, I am very comfortable with the interface. I started up Max, and it was like a second language to me. <_<

I'm thinking about going to this 1 week class, over at a school in San diego, to further learn Maya.

Does anyone else have any tutorials, that helped them along the way, in learning Maya?

By the way, the reason the Robert Ellison Imaging link isnt working, is because there is no ".com"

Thanks

-Mike

frothlord
04-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Check out 3d-Palace. (http://www.3d-palace.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

If the Maya video tutorials are nearly as good as the 3d Max tutorials then I would say give them a try. You have to register (free), and you can only download one part at a time, but hey, its free!

You can also support this guy's site by purchasing a subscription or dvd's and such. Once I get on my feet again its on my list of things to do.

cgtriguy
04-16-2006, 08:08 PM
www.highend3d.com
www.learning-maya.com
www.3dbuzz.com
www.google.com

SaveFerris0330
04-17-2006, 12:21 AM
I appreciate all of your tutorial help!

Now, moving on to the subject of colleges...

I will be starting senior year, shortly, and I will be forced to pick a school. I am 99.99% sure, I want to go into the 3d animation field. What I was hoping to do, was to go to a good school, get really good at a couple of applications, and work my way up, to a real job. (Dreamworks). Yes, its quite a goal, but I am determined on completing it.

Do any of you have any reccomendations on colleges? How about degrees? If I wanted to pursue a career in this, what kind of degree/major, should I be shooting for.

Thank you very much for all of your help!

-Mike Cusano

frothlord
04-17-2006, 04:28 AM
I dont think I've ever seen a piece, project, portfolio I didnt like from the people over at Vancouver Film School (http://www.vfs.com/). They really have great work.

SaveFerris0330
04-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Yeah, someone was telling me, that canada, and Cali, have the best schools.

SaveFerris0330
04-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Froth, this school is very interesting. I put it down on my list of possible schools.

frothlord
04-19-2006, 03:50 PM
There is also Gnomon (http://www.gnomon3d.com/) and Full Sail (http://www.fullsail.com/). I'm pretty sure Gnomon doesn't offer a degree, but I've seen a coulple of their training DVD's and they cover pretty much everything you want to know about a topic. Full sail on the other hand does offer a degree (I'm pretty sure).

SaveFerris0330
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Froth,

I just got my information pamphlet from Full Sail. After reading this packet, it made me wish I was there. This is definitally a top 5 possibility. It is also in florida, which is where I wanted to go.

If any of you are looking for good animation schools, I strongly suggest sending for Full Sails information.

BTW, Did you go to school for animation? If so, where?

frothlord
04-26-2006, 02:32 AM
Full Sail offers tours of their facilities all the time, you should check it out. I heard they really put on a show for you.

If you're looking for an animation school, aside from Full Sail, Gnomon and VFS and them there is also Sheridan. (http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/programs03_04/index2.html) I heard they're pretty hard core about animation.

I have not gone to a 4 year + college yet. I just dont have the cash at the moment. I would like to in the future though. I'm in that 'teach-yourself' phase I guess :cool:.

maunilpatel
04-26-2006, 06:02 AM
Some of these replies are really helpful to me..
I am actually a starter in 3d. I am only 15 now and will turn sixteen in two months. I am learning maya right now and got pretty good holf of it. Currently I am following some tutorial to learn some techniques and after done following them, thinking of creating something on my own. I am sophmore right now and still have atleast 1 more year(till my senior year) to decide which college I will be going into and stuff. Would like to hear from some of you guys here. I just joined this site couple months ago and looks like a very big community.
I currently live in US.
I just want to know as of right now. Which colleges are one of the best 3d graphics and animation colleges in US? And what kind of courses would one have to take? and How much do they cost approximately?
Would like to hear from you guys.

amannin
04-26-2006, 07:01 AM
geez, if only i had gotten a head start in high school --- well, not like flash and photoshop were a waste of time or anything, but maya would have been so much cooler.

if you want to go the "best" schools, they are always the private schools:

Art Institutes
Art Center
Gnomon

just to name a few, or at least the ones in or around L.A. The Art Institutes were around 70k for total tution, and I imagine the others being right around there as well. You don't have to go to one of these schools to be good or get a job, but it certainly helps.

i myself, went to a community college, got all the G.E. classes out of the way, then transfered to a 4yr --- this gave me enough time to really determine what I wanted to do, which I obviously decided was 3D animation.

DON'T rely on the school, or anyone for that matter, to teach you what you want to know. Take the initiative and be proactive.

goodluck.

maunilpatel
04-26-2006, 03:18 PM
geez, if only i had gotten a head start in high school --- well, not like flash and photoshop were a waste of time or anything, but maya would have been so much cooler.

if you want to go the "best" schools, they are always the private schools:

Art Institutes
Art Center
Gnomon

just to name a few, or at least the ones in or around L.A. The Art Institutes were around 70k for total tution, and I imagine the others being right around there as well. You don't have to go to one of these schools to be good or get a job, but it certainly helps.

i myself, went to a community college, got all the G.E. classes out of the way, then transfered to a 4yr --- this gave me enough time to really determine what I wanted to do, which I obviously decided was 3D animation.

DON'T rely on the school, or anyone for that matter, to teach you what you want to know. Take the initiative and be proactive.

goodluck.

so I think I'm on right track.. AM I?
HOw about schools like Fullsail and Dave?
Are they more expensive?

michaelcomet
04-26-2006, 06:38 PM
If you are interested in animation one of the top schools in the US if not the top one is Ringling School of Art and Design. www.rsad.edu Also in Florida. If you ask professionals I am sure that school would be on their list.

SaveFerris0330
04-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Honostly, by the looks of it, Full Sail looks like my favorite.

I wonder if there is any social life there...

Hmm...

maunilpatel
04-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Honostly, by the looks of it, Full Sail looks like my favorite.

I wonder if there is any social life there...

Hmm...

lolz.. must be expensive though Not sure.. Let's see the views of some experienced people..
where are Gnome and Vancour colleges located?

frothlord
04-27-2006, 01:36 AM
Gnomon would be in California I think. VFS is in Canada.

maunilpatel
04-27-2006, 06:22 AM
one more question.
If I want to request information by mail for specific college(like Fullsail), do I have to be certain age in order to get infos.
As I have mentioned before. I only finishing my sophmore year. Do they still let me order their catalog even though I am not going to attend in next two years.
And are they don't cost anything right? the catalogs that come by mail?

frothlord
04-27-2006, 07:36 AM
I'd say go ahead and send in for your information, and if they call you just let them know youre not interested at the moment. They will probably keep calling you until you anwser, at least that was my experience. I have their info around here somewhere with their (full sail) costs but I dont know where it is off hand.

SaveFerris0330
04-27-2006, 07:25 PM
No man, catalouges are always free, and there is no age limit.

I'm only a year older and I got the catalouge. It is extremely amazing.

VFS is my second favorite, except I dont know if I want to go to school in canada.

Where do you live?

maunilpatel
04-28-2006, 12:18 AM
No man, catalouges are always free, and there is no age limit.

I'm only a year older and I got the catalouge. It is extremely amazing.

VFS is my second favorite, except I dont know if I want to go to school in canada.

Where do you live?

I live in Arizona..
I have ordered fullsaild catalog. Will see how expensive is it.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2006, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.