PDA

View Full Version : Correcting mesh topology after bind?

kbrown
04-14-2006, 04:11 PM
I screwed up :sad:

I was painting skin weights and had completed 90% of it. Then I noticed that I had accidentally merged few vertices together that shouldn't be merged ( basically upper lip to lower :sad: ). Is there a way to correct this without having to start over with the skin weights?

kbrown
04-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Never mind. I think I fixed it. Exported the skin weights, corrected the topology, re-skinned and imported the skin weights back. All is good so far...

instruct9r
04-14-2006, 05:55 PM
yep... the other way is to copy the geometry, fix it and then bind again. Then Copy the skin weight from the old to the new one (the fixed), or try substitute geometry...

kbrown
04-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll try them the next time I screw up :thumbsup:

onkelandy
04-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Never mind. I think I fixed it. Exported the skin weights, corrected the topology, re-skinned
and imported the skin weights back. All is good so far...

That REALLY worked? I'm just wondering because I could never make that shitty tool work. Since Maya 5.0 it always lead to unpredictable results, no matter how well my model and all the tool options were set-up...

MikeRhone
04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
I highly HIGHLY reccomend looking into Michael Comets saveWeights tool. It blows Mayas out of the water. I cannot imaging rigging a character without it. It can save and re-import weights via point order or local/worldspace.

Add to that David Waldens skinningTools, and you have a strong setup. I use skinningTools so much I have it hotkeyed.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.