View Full Version : the making of Silent Hill

lukx
04-14-2006, 10:55 AM
the making of Silent Hill :
http://www.moviefans.de/a-z/s/silent-hill/trailer.html

190mb

eliseu gouveia
04-14-2006, 03:38 PM
if this is the same Making of I saw a while ago, than I just have one thing to say...

That is SO beautiful!!

I didnīt even stop to realise that thereīs almost a hundred different variations of the same clothes for Rhada and that she goes from wearing a warm brown in the beginning of the film to a neutral grey to a blood rusty red.

PH is just gorgeous to look at (I found myself pausing to contemplate the strappings his has on his neck area that hold the helmet on) and this is coming from a guy who never understood why so many fangirls go nuts over a guy with a bucket in his head.

The Patient monster is cooler than ever but I still donīt understand what heīs doing there.

I know that PH is part of Silent Hillīs imaginary (some sort of executioner), but the Patients were part of Jamesīnightmare, not Harry, Heather or anyone elseīs.

The idea that even the bugs were once humans kinda connects with SH3, where the priest did bring the issue up after Heather had killed half a billion of them:
"- Monsters? Is that what they look to you?"

But the most beautiful thing are still the nurses.
I just... drool in their general direction, theyīre more mesmerising than ever and that "broken-toy-type movement" they added to them just elevates my fascination tenfold.

So many creatures... yummmmmmm!
I really hope Rhada doesnīt go through the whole film handcuffed.
Sheīll need both hands to swing her maul/steel pipe.:D

Lunatique
04-15-2006, 08:12 AM
As much as I think this movie will be quite good, I'm f$%king furious at how they completely withheld any shred of acknowledgement that all the virtues they gushed on and on about were actually all done by the Japanese, in the video games. NONE of that "unique" stuff were done by the filmmakers--all of it are from the guys who made the video games--down to the very visual style, creature designs, environment, not to mention story. I really can't stand it when people take credit for things they didn't do. This could possibly be the best video game film ever made, and part of that is because they realize how good the video games are and stayed very faithful to them, yet not a single word about the video games--not even on the official website. I know exactly why they did that--because they're afraid people will prejudge the film based on the fact that it's from video games. But at what point does it become totally unfair to the people who worked their asses off on the video games? All of this is THEIR vision and talent and creativity. I'm not saying the filmmakers don't deserve credit--of course they do, but to simply not say a single word about the games is just wrong. Afterall, it's not like they loosely based the film on the games--the film is like a direct translation between the two mediums! Anyway, I understand why they did it, and in a way I could almost sympathize because we all know just too well how the world feels about video game movies right now.

GoranNF
04-15-2006, 08:57 AM
I played the game on my playstation a few years ago.The graphics sucked (but it was good at that time) but it still was very scary to me.I loved the game.I'm looking forward to the movie,see how scary it will be:twisted:

eMPeck
04-15-2006, 09:02 AM
And I promised myself not to watch any trailers ;)

Absolutely stunning, beautiful, and disturbing at the same moment. I can't wait to see it.

On the other hand I agree with Robert - it's sad they didn't mention ward work of all people who worked on games, but also it is understandable.

And opening here, in Poland is set to 26 May :cry:

eliseu gouveia
04-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Itīs true that they should give more credit to the japanese team, but I donīt think itīs ill-intended.

If you read any of Christophe Gansīinterviews (and even Roger Avaryīs), youīll notice that heīs extremelly humble and does nothing but praise the games.
Where most other directors just $%# all over the source material, he goes to great lenght to express his love for the games (which he seems to know inside and out).
After all, he is working very closely with Akira Yamaoka and his name pops up every two sentences.

Albeit small, Silent Hill has a very loyal core fanbase that would eviscerate him if he were to negate his filmīs origins, but not only does he listen very attently to what the fans have to say and their expectations, but he himself is a fan.

Lunatique
04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Eliseu - I'm glad to hear that. I haven't read any of the interviews so I didn't know that. I'll go and google some interviews now. :D

eliseu gouveia
04-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Hereīs my horrific attempt at translating from french his interview featured in Allociné (http://blogs.allocine.fr/blogs/index.blog?blog=allocine&themeID=3307):

How did you manage to “escape” the french productions and start a career in the US with an ambitious production the size of Silent Hill?

It must be known that Silent Hill is a french-canadian film. It started in France with a producer, Samuel Hadida, a director, me, and the base team was partially constituted by french. My editor and sound designer are french. Now this is a film that couldnīt exist without a major american contributor, in this case Sony Pictures Tristar with around a third of the budget. So, itīs not truly an american film.
Moreover, thereīs not one single american in the cast. Theyīre all canadian, australian or anglo-saxon actors… itīs a bit like Canada-dry, it has the colour but it isnīt it(?).
Now when I film in Canada I know Iīll get a film with a certain standard technique and visuals that allows Sony Pictures Tristar precisely to launch it as an american film.
Most of the people who are gonna see the film, be it in the US or France will believe itīs an american movie. Particularly in the production, itīs a very french movie.
For me, the big difference is the language.
The Brotherhood of the Wolves was a french movie because it was filmed in french. Silent Hill isnīt really a french movie because itīs filmed in english.
Thatīs where the main difference lies, in my mind.
I was very, very lucky with this film.
Iīve heard lots of stories about how executives treat the movies, the authorsī expression and violence in Hollywood. Silent Hill is one third produced by Sony Pictures Tristar, so they have the rights over the filmīs life and death. I donīt have the final cut and I was originally supposed to deliver a 110 minute movie.When I presented the film for the first time to Sony, they said they wouldnīt change one single image and that the film duration, 2 hours, was accepted.
Itīs exactly a directorīs cut… nothing was changed.
The only notes I received from Sony concerned Radha Mitchellīs australian accent and the scottish accent of Sean Bean which would have to be addressed in post-synchronization in four scennes. After, we went to MPAA, the american censorship committee.
I was waiting for the cuts .. the film has, to say the least, very brutal scennes, especially the sequences of sexual nature.
Nothing was asked, the MPAA accepted the R rating. Why? Simply because they took into consideration a couple things… this is not a film with lots of guns (there are 5 bullets in the whole film and theyīre used very fast, like in a game), itīs a film about a woman who descends to hell to save her little girl (a point considered decisive in the US but also in the UK and France) and finally, they thought the violence had an emotional resonance, it wasnīt exploitation. Thatīs why the MPAA allowed the film to pass.
The day before yesterday we had the surprise to learn that it was prohibited to 14 years olds in the UK , a country known to have a more powerfull censorship. There I also dropped naked (**must be a french expression for “caught by surprise”)... they made exactly the same arguments as in the US.
Yesterday night , the greatest surprise arrived.. prohibited to 12 years olds in France.
I let people see what Iīve put in there but Iīm a wet hen (?) and I donīt know a thing about gore, so I was very lucky. French censorship constantly mentioned that this wasnīt an exploitation movie and that the pictural side of the images gave the film a certain bahavior (**feel?).
I should receive the final report explaining the reasons for this decision. Meanwhile, itīs for me a great surprise since I had announced to the press that the film would be prohibited to 16 years olds since I know the points the french censorphip goes for and there are at least two I was (**ready for? Affraid of? Bracing myself for?) and they let it slide like a letter in the mail. Itīs great for the movie and for the distributors/producer, yesterday night we were filled with happiness.
Itīs also lucky for me since it changes the perspective of the film in europe, since we are going to make 100 copies in the UK and 200 in france. I can+t wait to hear from other censorship committees, especially in Germany, known to be very severe.

Knowing that the movie was heavilly inspired in Jacobīs Ladder, Iīd like to know how do you place your work in contrast with Adrian Lyneīs, arenīt you affraid of a comparison? Silent Hill is a game that proposed different endings, depending on the gamerīs choices. Was it dificult to choose which final would be used in the film? For many, Silent Hill 2 is considered the best of the séries, , mainly due to its narrative. Would you be ready for a 2nd opus in the case of success?

Is Silent Hill strongly inspired in Jacobīs Ladder? I donīt think so. I think Silent Hill is inspired in two scennes from that movie, one in the subway and another in the hospital, which are seizing (**seizure-inducing?) when watched and which announce in fact Silent Hillīs athmosphere. After long discussions with Akira Yamaoka, Jacobīs Ladder isnīt the only inspiration sounce of Silent Hill. The true source of inspiration is more pictural than cinematographic, mainly from modern art and surrealist artists.
Am I affraid of comparisons with Jacobīs Ladder? Not at all, since the two movies have nothing to do with each other. Personally, I love that movie, specially the complete version which airs from time to time in the american tv. I find the film very interesting and unique. Iīm not a great fan of the Vietnam ending but at the same time itīs interesting because it respects the idea of existing different interpretations in this parallel universe. Which brings us to your 2nd question. Are there many movies like Silent Hill? Obviously not, but there are several possible interpretations regarding what happens to the characters and the ending is very ambiguous and leaves everyone the task to form its own opinion. For me, itīs a way to respond to the gameīs multiple endings which correspond to this universeīs multiplicity of interpretations. Regarding your last question, Iīd love to (**retry?/repeat?) the Silent Hill experience , but would I adapt Silent Hill 2? I donīt think so, even if I personally love it. On the other hand, Iīd like to continue the story we started telling in this first movie and introduce the psychologic and narrative elements of the second game since itīs my favorite of the four.
After all, it was the one we initially wanted to adapt, with Roger and Nicholas.

Iīd like to know, Mr. Gans, why didnīt you retain the names of Harry Mason, Rose Mason and Cheryl Mason. We have the police officer Cybil, so I donīt think this was a licensing issue. Why change the names like that? Harry Mason became Christopher Da Silva! I was sorry to hear this the first time, I really believed the names would stay loyal to the game… I was very upset with the result, could you clarify it?

Iīd advise you not to watch the movie, because if youīve got upset with the name changes, then youīll commit suicide after youīve seen it… the problem is that to be able to correctly transcribe Silent Hill, the gameīs ambient, noxious, strange and impressionist, doing a fanboy work is not the best way to acchieve it. Regarding the name changes, I thought that the Harry character wasnīt really a male character and I thought that this would be a good way to say:”Hereīs the Silent Hill you know, but not really”.
I wanted to underline that Silent Hill exists in different dimentional plans. Itīs a town where different dimentions cross and each hás its own story. Nothing stops us from thinking that, thereīs even proofs in the game that the characters exist under different incarnations. I want to point that the character Mary and Maria in the game is the same person who has split up. Alessa, we all know, exists under different versions depending on which universe we find her.So, I donīt see why Cybil Shepperd couldnīt have different incarnations of herself and exist in different dimentions since itīs a pirandellien (** ?????) universe.
For me, Silent Hill is not a planar universe, itīs not one single dimention with one story. Itīs a construction from the unaddressed perspectives where people travel from dimention to dimention. In their case, they even forget what was their life, like Maria in Silent Hill 2 who had forgotten her husband when they met again. So, the fields of perspective are infinite and with Roger Avery we realised that it wasnīt a treason to say that in our dimention Cybil will have a different fate (** and a different hairstyle! :D) from the game, that Cheryl is called Sharon, etc. For me, the respect for Silent Hill is the respect for this ambition, this complexity, not the sterile respect for simple names.

Was the adaptation of a videogame a suplementary pressure, comparing with your previous movies (vis-a-vis the gamers but also, vis-a-vis, the others)?
Which are, for you, the gamersīexpectation for this movie and were you understanding or did you focus in directing a horror film without worrying about the storyīs source?

Adapting a game is not like adapting a book. For me, adapting a game is like talking about a journey we did to somewhere, in a virtual space, a virtual country were we stayed. We know by heart what happened. I went to Silent Hill, several times. I know what happens when I pass by this door, I can describbe each piece, whatīs under the racks... I know Silent Hill perfectly. You must take into consideration the collective memory of this place. Obviously, each gamer hás its unique vision and interpretation of Silent Hill. We canīt deny to a single gamer its existence in Silent Hill. So, when we worked on the adaptation problem with Nicholas and Roger, above all we tried to find the key moments we all lived in Silent Hill. This encounter with this monster, that moment when the camera does a particular movement, that moment when the music erupts, tall anguish, etc. We tried to build a movie over these collective moments to make sure that in a moment during the movie, the gamer would recognise the Silent Hill he visited. For us, that was the most logic way to adapt a game that exists in 16 milion ways in the minds of 16 milion gamers.

Is brotherhood of the Wolves known in the US?

Modesty aside, Brotherhood of the Wolves is monstrously known in the US, it was released in VO subtitles in 200 theatres and earned more than 20 milion dolars. It was an enormous surprise, The film is more known in Canada where itīs the object of some sort of “cult” for a single reason: the Mohawk incarnated by Mark Decascos comes from Canada. Certain people even think the film is canadian. The subtext linked to the indians and the wars in New France makes an unbelievable resonation there. When I arrived in Canada to direct Silent Hill, everyone had seen Brotherhood of the Wolves in the theatres or vídeo. The DVDs completelly sold out and the film is going to be re-released.
Moreover, they released the collectorīs 3 disc, an unseen honor. I was hoping to work incognito but no, Brotherhood of the Wolves preceeded me.

Iīd like to know if there wa an episode from the game in particular that inspired you for the movie or if itīs a mix from several events from the different episodes?

To be frank, the film was inspired by the backstory of Silent Hill and Silent Hill3. It borrows the aesthetic from Silent Hill2 and the camera movements come from Silent Hill4, to be extremelly precise. Itīs a film that takes into consideration all the different games but that put them in a mythological plane. Iīm saying that we take into consideration, Nicolas Boukhrief, Roger Avary, Akira Yamaoka and myself , that Silent Hill is a mythological land and that we should establish the movie there before making an exact and meticulous illustration of one particular game.
Iīd also like to say something important:
Silent Hill was originally a one-shot.
The gameīs creators never thought one day there would be a direct sequel (Silent Hill3 for the one who know it), but more than that, they didnīt address the background story.
They created a survival horror with a particular ambient, which they built from crypto-esotheric elements, annotations, etc.
They made a bit of the work Lovecraft liked to do, that was to suggest from newspaper clippings, graffittis in the walls, an atrocious story that would justify the universe where we moved in.
But that was never thought out, and Akira confirmed it, in a rational way.
It was about creating an athmosphere.
It was the success in the US that brought the creation of sequels.
Moreover the first sequel, Silent Hill2, had nothing to do with the first, they used the town as a setting.
It was only when the moment came to start 3 that they had to decide to envision the Silent Hill mythology. They had to give more thought into what they did in the first episode.
Thatīs why you find in the #3īs strategy guide a summary of #1.
And itīs funny sometimes to read it and to see how they tried to make some sense of all those elements.
So, Iīd dare say that itīs with #3 that the Team Silent Hill asked itself the question regarding Silent Hillīs mythology.
But we, with the movie, arrived after all that and in a terrain already marked.
But it must be said that initially, Silent Hill wasnīt a creation of Mythological order, it was a question of athmosphere and a pictural game. Itīs a game that was, for me, created as a modern masterpiece. Whatīs important is not making sense but the feeling it provoques in you. Today, the Silent Hill mythology is, in my mind, totally coherent.
And moreover, what Akira Yamaoka was interested with the hypothesis of a movie adaptation was to bring more clarity to that mythology. He knew it would be three writers focused in working on that.. We had fun fully opening the doors that were only half-opened in the game. Youīll see in the movie that there are scenes which are not the ones you saw in #1, but take place at the same time somewhere else in town.
For us, and this will interest the fans, there isnīt a single cult in Silent Hill (** or, more likely, “there isnīt just one Cult in Silent Hill”).
Why?
Because what we wanted to do with the movie, and we probably were a bit ambitious, was to open the Silent Hill mythology, to open as many leads as possible.
Actually, Akira Yamaoka contacted us for permission to use some elements we developped exclusively for the movie, in particular a monster created for the movie.

Why change the setting and replace Harry by his wife (dead in the game)?

The film takes the first game as a starting point, thatīs to say the context from which Silent Hill, this sort of parallel dimention, urban Bermudas Triangle was created.
It tells the story of Alessa, the little girl who was tortured by a cult in a certain town.
The starting point is the story of Silent Hill #1.
When we started working in the story with Roger Avary and Nicola Boukhrief, it was Harry Mason that was there, searching for his little girl. We were very meticulous and started by putting on paper all the characterīs dialogues in the game to have a base to work from. When we read it, with all that made the character Harry Mason- the moment where he cries or is shocked or panicks or expresses his love for his child, we realised he didnīt resemble a male character at all. Notice that Iīm not saying I wanted a stereotypical male hero or that men are forcibly strong and women express their vulnerable side. But in this case, it was striking to see to which point Harry Mason was written not as a male but as a female character. So as to not change the true nature of the game, it made sense to us to change Harry into a woman. From that moment on, it all became simple in the sense that we could tell ourselves that it wasnīt the same story as Silent Hill#1. If the backstory remains the same, the characters projected in the Silent Hill universe are different.
My personal opinion is that the fantastic in Japan focus essentially in women with films like The Ring, Dark Water or The Grudge, whereas boys prefer sports movies.
In my opinion, Silent Hill creatures naturally express in the game the feminine side of the japanese fantastic imaginary (** what, what? I wanna see you translate “fantastique nippon” :D) and that to sell the game overseas they decided to make the lead a male.
But when we analise the film, we realise that the Harry Mason character isnīt written as a male character.
Really not at all. (laughs)

Is Silent Hill really a horror movie? Is it really scary?

What is exactly fear in the Silent Hill game?
I think the game is frightening and constantly worrying. Fear in Silent Hill is not of the mechanical order, itīs not the jumps… youīre not strolling down a corner and a monster jumps at you and bites your head.
For me, Iīm sure thatīs not it.
For me, the first quality of Silent Hill is to unsettle, to make you uneasy, not lots and lots of jumps but the psychological and aesthetic order…thereīs really a very particular feel in the game. What I managed to do in the movie was not to create a mechanical fear. Thereīs no cheap jumps, not a single one. That doesnīt interest me, I find it stupid.When I see a cat jump at the board, that annoys me, it takes me out of the movie. What happens is that you jump, then thereīs an adrenalin decrease and youīre cut from the movie. I prefer to imagine the film unsettling you in the long run, and that from time to time thereīll be something thatīll freeze you. We worked exactly on that perspective, and on that level I never worried about fear but about recreating with great detail exactly the athmosphere i saw in the game. And since we did everything to reconstruct the athmosphere that terrified me, I think the film will have the same quality as the game.

This part was translated by Kusanagi63, another Silent Hill fan from silenthillforum.co.uk

Are you proud of your new movie and what are you next projects ?

I'll be proud of my new movie if people who are waiting for with so much impatience are happy after seeing the movie. [...] I cant wait the audience reactions in order to know if I can be proud of this movie. If the movie is a success I'll make a sequel, as I already said. And there is also another adaptation of a famous videogame.

How the work of Jeff Danna and Akira Yamaoka for Silent Hill scoring was reparted ? Musics form Yamaoka will be done before or according to images from the movie ?

When we started to shoot, we took into Yamaoka's music library which contain 200 tracks from the different games but also tracks created for the games bu finally never used. We decide to use these tracks by the classical method of a movie score by rearranging them in order to correspond to the movie's cut. We also remix them in 5.1 Playstation 1 and 2 were not enough powerful to allow Yamaoka to give his music all the "power" he wanted. Moreover some tracks were missing. So canadian Jeff Danna remixed them. he was here to help Akira to retranscript his music on big screen.

Is Pyramid head the last boss of the movie ?

The last boss is not Pyramid Head. It's something we are very proud. It's a boss which is inspired from one of the creature of the 4 games but he also has a total new function. It's BUFF, a french SFX company, which created this creature and it's my favorite SFX sequence and I'm very happy that the movie ends on this sequence. But you will have the surprise on April 26th.

What do you think about current movies and about Internet movie downloads and french theaters ticket prices ?

I think this the evolution. For example, Silent Hill will be released on almost all countries of the world between April 21th and May 5th because we are afraid about movie piracy or P2P. I only finished the movie a week ago and I no time for DVD extra, for work on promotion : I have time for nothing ! We wanted to make a book if we had more time. Moreover Americans reduce the time between theater release and DVD release. We won't produce a real good DVD for this movie because we have no time to create extra material that would be great. It's a real problem. Downloadable movies don't allow me to make my job. So i finish the movie, it releases on silver screens all over the world and maybe in a few months or few years when we will have time, we will create a collector DVD with extra material. [...] That's the first problem, imho, of P2P: I can't give to fans what I wanted to give. [...] For example, the movie will be release in Australia in August. I'm persuaded that fans will download it, they can't wait all this time ! They will download a screener ! Australian distributor is crazy to release the movie so late ! But the movie is in "Cinemascope" so it is better on big screens. And if a guy download it, he will also go in theaters on release date. [...] On the DVD, I think it will contain a featurette, one or two audio commentaries and that's all. But, I have 300 hours of making-of but I can't edit because I have no time. I understand people who download because they can't wait the release.

Will the sountrack contain the beautifuls songs from Akira Yamaoka sing by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Joe Romersa ?

Songs in the movie are sing by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn but the songs from Joe Romersa are not present. 4 songs from Mary Elizabeth McGlynn are used in this movie.

eliseu gouveia
04-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Should we expect a deformed adaptation like Resident Evil or this is a true adaptation of a game into movie with the same settings, ambients, characters…?

You will find in Silent Hill the settings, the textures, the athmospheres, the creatures, some characters but not all… once again a film is a film, a game is a game… the difference comes essentially from the narrative and the way cinema tells a story. And obviously, from the duration, when you know Silent Hill inside and out you can finish it in 7 hours whereas my movie “only” has 2 hours and 6 minutes.
Itīs very good but itīs a 100% orthodox transcription of the game. Now if itīs the most loyal adaptation of a game, I can tell you without a problem, most definitelly! Everything was done to assure that as much detail as possible was respected.
Itīs not dificult since all videogame adaptations were terrible betrayals of athmosphere, settings and characters.
Even Final Fantasy – which I love to bits- hás nothing to do with the game.
So, itīs not hard to acchieve it with a more meticulous adaptation. I take no glory from that. For now I win by a technical K.O.

Good Afternoon, Mr. Gans, you are aware, no doubt, that most videogame adaptations were til now real disapointments. Did you take this into consideration, in your work and tried to understand the origin of this disapointment?

Yes, especially since I am a fan of videogames.
Iīm a gamer and Iīve been horribly disappointed , like all the gamers, by the previous adaptations for a reason thatīs easy to understand. When for instance they adapt Lara Croft and Resident Evil, they adapt the cinematographic side of the game. Instead of adapting what makes the game truly original, they adapt whatīs already borrowed from the movies. Itīs a serpent biting its own ass. Lara Croft in the movies is Indiana Jones, thatīs not interesting… did you went through the solitary moments in the caves? Those Lovecraftian moments where she meets face to face those titanic subterranean constructions? All that is gone. That which gives the game its strenght is not there.
Resident Evil is a zombie movie where the zombies are not even frightening.. thatīs not the interest in Resident Evil, the interest is the gameīs mythology, all the Umbrella conspiracies.. the problem with videogame adaptations is that they take the games as settings for B-Movies. They donīt try to reconstruct their true originality. For me, those adaptations are sterile. I didnīt want, for example, to adapt Silent Hill while trying to remove what was influenced by Jacobīs Ladder, that would be idiotic… I prefer to create something that is original rather than trying to redo something that was already brought to screen and quite well. I think folks who do videogame adaptations right now are real imbeciles, I have to say it… total idiots.

As a true fan of videogames, which brings, in your opinion, the best basis for a movie, Silent Hill aside?

If I were to choose from all videogames I know that would make a great movie, assuming that it would be directed with great expertise, then Metal Gear Solid from Playstation#1. Itīs a masterpiece with magnific characters . I play it regularly, I know it by heart I know what to do to eliminate the guards….but whatīs interesting is the gameīs characters, like Spider-Wolf, the Invisible Ninja, who are absolutelly unforgetable for a gamer. Making a movie based on that would be unbelievable.
Kojima, the gameīs creator has a very cinematographic idea of his own work. I think itīll take a lot of time before he lets his franchise in the hands of a cineast since for me, Kojima is a born director. But personally, itīs THE game Iīd love to adapt to the screens, that particular adventure of Metal Gear.

Weīd love to have seen some french in the casting!

I think it would have been possible to invite a few french for the film but we found that the folks I had considered werenīt available. The film was directed in april 2005 and I couldnīt push it back for a precise reason… we needed plenty of dead trees in town and we couldnīt allow the buds to sprout or we would have had to remove them from the trees… which we should have done anyway since we ended up caught up by Spring. Thatīs why I couldnīt wait for the couple french actors I had in mind.

What is the significance of the term “Centralia” , the movieīs work title?

We used Centralia as a smokescreen to prevent fans from knowing where we were filming. The movie was called Centralia during the shoots, even in the techniciansīwork sheets. Where the title comes from, itīs an interesting game of clues… Centralia is the name of a true ghost town in the US which we used as a base to represent the reality Silent Hill that doesnīt exist in the game. It seemed pertinent for us to use a true american ghost town and from its story bring Silent Hill to life. Centralia is a mine town like Silent Hill in the game which saw an industrial catastrophe.the film takes the carbon mines under the town and the fire that after many years was still impossible to stop. The town is contaminated by the carbon emissions, everyone was evacuated and the town is nowadays of restricted access. So the story of Centralia is told in the movie and we had fun to call the movie that way.

I wonder if youīd envision making a Silent Hill trilogy and if the film in turn would be adapted by the Silent Hill Team into a game…

To make several films was the initial point of this Project. Itīs not oportunistic when one has in his hands a franchise like Silent Hill. It would be a pity to think that this was a one shot, that one does one movie and thatīs it. Especially since thereīs good reasons to make a trilogy, thereīs enough developped stories, with more or less depth in the Silent Hill games to make the movies, even a tv series! One could call it the "Silent Hill Tales" with an episode with what happened at the moment of Jennifer Carolīs death three centuries ago, another about Gillespie, about Dr. Kaufman, about Lisa Garland… it would be idiotic to say” We make a movie and thatīs enough!”
Bottom line, the first question should be:” What should #2 be about?”.
Once youīve written a character and reflected on his past and even his future, there are very interesting data in Silent Hill. You donīt die, itīs a zone between life and death.
If one day I make a Silent Hill2, following on this Silent Hill, Iīd address these metamorphosis. Akira Yamaoka and the Silent Hill Team are very interested in a certain monster, for instances, and there will be exchanges. You know, Iīm not the humble german cousin from the Silent Hill family , last to arrive . I work under its supervision, iīm in the movie department of Silent Hill. It will evolve, thereīs a comic and there will be a cartoon. Silent Hill is an universe too vast that will be illustrated in different ways in different mediums. Itīs too much to be condemned to just a videogame.
All the strong universes become multimedia, itīs the rule nowadays. The world is multimedia, once something is created, it meets different incarnations.
Silent Hill the movie is the first incarnation of the cinematographic part of Silent Hill.
There will be others.

The end :)

Lunatique
04-15-2006, 05:00 PM
That was a good read. Thanks! When he said that all the previous video game adapted to film guys were idiots, I almost cheered. :D Sounds like he's on the right wavelength. I'm especially delighted by the fact that Yamaoka seems to be quite involved--they really respected his work and his input. I withdraw all the stuff I said earlier. :)

eliseu gouveia
04-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Coolness. :)

LOL, Yeah, I was very pleased to read those words too. :D

Hereīs another Making of from Youtube with comments from Radha and the Creature Effects guy :

MTV Overdrive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5CPpP8DsR4)

"-The day the nurses came to set, every male in the crew was, like, unusually excited."

Gee, Radha, I wonder why... :D

GoranNF
04-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Coolness. :)

LOL, Yeah, I was very pleased to read those words too. :D

Hereīs another Making of from Youtube with comments from Radha and the Creature Effects guy :

MTV Overdrive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5CPpP8DsR4)

"-The day the nurses came to set, every male in the crew was, like, unusually excited."

Gee, Radha, I wonder why... :D
Wait a sec,did you really translate that whole piece from French to English?Are you BORED?Anyways,thanx.It was agood read.

eliseu gouveia
04-15-2006, 06:22 PM
What can I say... Iīm a hopeless Silent Hill fan.... :)

eMPeck
04-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Thank You for translation, that's a good read.

This MUST be a good movie.

PhilOsirus
04-15-2006, 06:54 PM
From a previous interview Roger Avary (screenwriter) mentionned they were working on another Konami game-to-movie deal, a game both are big fans of. My best bet is Metal Gear, and if it is the case PLEASE make it Snake Eater. If they just made that one and made it well I'd be happy, it is one of the best stories I've seen in a long time.

Can't wait for Silent Hill anyway!

CIM
04-15-2006, 07:34 PM
I hate movies based on video games. :argh:

lukx
04-15-2006, 07:37 PM

"Alone in the dark" was poor, but I really, really liked DOOM. Saw it 3 times :)

eliseu gouveia
04-15-2006, 08:46 PM

Me too.

More succulent movie footage:

Miners, janitors and Rose da Silva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyx8fDcdGh4&search=silent%20hill)

eMPeck
04-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Me too.

More succulent movie footage:

Miners, janitors and Rose da Silva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyx8fDcdGh4&search=silent%20hill)
Still looks great.

SheepFactory
04-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Lara Croft in the movies is Indiana Jones, thatīs not interesting… did you went through the solitary moments in the caves? Those Lovecraftian moments where she meets face to face those titanic subterranean constructions? All that is gone. That which gives the game its strenght is not there.

I think this movie is in very very good hands and I'll be there the opening night. :love:

Levitateme
04-15-2006, 11:30 PM
@eliseu gouveia (member.php?u=6808) Thanks so much for translating that.

CENOBITE
04-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Genius. I have nothing but high, high hopes for the success of this film. Anyone know where it is premering? Hollywood, CA, France, Canada?

eliseu gouveia
04-18-2006, 04:38 PM
More movie goodness (http://www.megaupload.com/pt/?d=EYICTQOH) :)

camposino
04-18-2006, 08:37 PM
As much as I think this movie will be quite good, I'm f$%king furious at how they completely withheld any shred of acknowledgement that all the virtues they gushed on and on about were actually all done by the Japanese, in the video games. NONE of that "unique" stuff were done by the filmmakers--all of it are from the guys who made the video games--down to the very visual style, creature designs, environment, not to mention story. I really can't stand it when people take credit for things they didn't do. This could possibly be the best video game film ever made, and part of that is because they realize how good the video games are and stayed very faithful to them, yet not a single word about the video games--not even on the official website. I know exactly why they did that--because they're afraid people will prejudge the film based on the fact that it's from video games. But at what point does it become totally unfair to the people who worked their asses off on the video games? All of this is THEIR vision and talent and creativity. I'm not saying the filmmakers don't deserve credit--of course they do, but to simply not say a single word about the games is just wrong. Afterall, it's not like they loosely based the film on the games--the film is like a direct translation between the two mediums! Anyway, I understand why they did it, and in a way I could almost sympathize because we all know just too well how the world feels about video game movies right now.

No need to get upset over just one special. The filmmakers have always referred to the games and given a lot of praise. And where did you think Konami got a lot of the ideas from? Jacob's Ladder, which the Japanese team gave a lot of credit to.

And it's not a direct translation, since it's a whole new story and characters.

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 08:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.