PDA

View Full Version : smooth bind [+ lattice/flexor]

gray117
04-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Ok... bit new to maya ... And trying to come up witht the best combinations for certain solutions.

But I've met with what seems to be an odd problem:

I really like the smooth skin but I don't understand why it can't also have a flexor like feature to effect the vertices after they have been influenced by the smooth skin (?) Or is there some kind of work around?

From my tests influence objects are just like extra bones and don't really help ...unless you going to animate the induvidual vertices a lot...

Generally speaking I would think of using blend shapes/influence objects to establish a feature - eg. appearance of a muscle tensing - rather than to tweak joint deformation.Since then (for example) an animator could set how much 'calf tense' he wanted for appearance and then use a lattice to clean up the deformation of the joint that (if needed) would push up into and against the thigh etc...

Or do people settle for a combination of blend shapes/influence objects to get round this and tweak their joint deformations?

Anyway, any advice appreciated.

Little rant: Presumably this is because smooth and rigid have been developed seperately (?) ... but it seems daft that both have such different tool sets...

JYoung
04-14-2006, 12:19 AM
I like using clusters and SDK to aid in deformations. Might not be as quick as what you're looking for, but gives plenty of control.

gray117
04-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Yah ideally I want something that is easy to use/see what its for , so that if I were to give the rig to someone it would be fairly quick and obvious... clusters are ok but are a little fiddily ... maybe I can make some control objects for them or something.... hmm

sorry; SDK - what is that please?

JYoung
04-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Sorry, SDK=set driven key.

lkruel
04-15-2006, 06:17 PM
There's a bunch of different ways you could approach deformations. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I think what gray means with the SDKs is that you can control the value of the blendshape by some other driver, for example, joint rotation. so if you want a blendshape that defines mucle bulging, you can have it be driven by the elbow joint rotation.

if you want extra controls for the animator to tweak then you can have wire deformers, controls parents to clusters, wrap deformers, whatever you want. If you could give me an specific example of what you're trying to do with the flexors I could probably help you figure out a solution.

LK

PS: all that stuff is for Maya.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2006, 06:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.