PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Occlusion for Animation ?

bunker
04-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

I'm just trying to use the mi_ambient occlusion shader for the first time...
Just wondered if it's any good for animation ... do you need to "Freeze" it like
Final Gathering ?? or is it just like a texture that stay the same on every frame ...
Just asking if they might be some flickering problems ...

Thanks !

LehaS
04-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Try "baking" your AO calculations

bunker
04-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm not really an expert in baking anything ... I tried a few times and it seems way to complex for me ... unless you can explain how to do it ? Is there any way to bake a whole scene in 1 click ? or is too much to ask for ?

thanks for the reply anyway ...

lazzhar
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Baking would help for sets that won't move through the time. If you have say a character jumping in a room, and you have a lot of shots and frames to render then it would very interesting to setup a way to bake the AO into textures using the baking technique suggested in Maya with Mental Ray. It will take a hug amount of time to finish comparing with rendering a signle frame. It's only worth of you have too much frames to render, otherwise, just render directly an AO pass.
Check the Doc how to bake lighting.

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.