PDA

View Full Version : Original game : Eclipse (Jet racing - shoot'em up)

AtriaLenkki
12-30-2002, 10:17 PM
We'r creating a original jetracing/dogfighting game, aimed to be fun and playable by all.

We are currently quite a small team, 3 ( 2 programmers, and 1 freelance prorgammer). Currently coding the engine, we'r at the state of having finnished the systems ( input, game loops, basic structure, and the like), soon moving on the world rendering it self. A own custom model format is being worked on, its exported too, from Max .ase files. Since its a jetracing game, we will be dealing with static meshes, no real animation, expect the ones done by the engine.

We are looking for a intrested modeler, who has some knowledge and intrest in jetfighters.
If you can do texture / skin work too thats great.

Also we need a texture artist, who can both design menus and create realistic textures for use on the terrain, if you can skin too thats just great.

We ask of no previous experience with the industry, we do however ask you to show some of your recent work so we can decide on your fitness for the task.

As stated earlier we are still in early development, your tasks as a modeler would at first be to interact with our modelformat coder ( the freelancer), and to create some lowpoly geometry models such as trees, lodges, and the like. (lowpoly for the reason that we are aiming to render entire forests of trees, the closest ones being drawn as real modeled trees, and the ones farthest away as crossmapped polygons).

The project is nonprofit, closed source, freeware.
We have no webpage as of the time being, since we have nothing real to show, its mostly code. However a webpage will be created as the time is right.

Want more info? ask here, mail me, or drop by at #pallas-athena on qNet (irc.quakenet.org). (btw pallas-athena is the name of the engine)

CGmonkey
12-30-2002, 10:38 PM
This really sounds intresting.. it's hard to find a project with serious programmers hooked up.

I'll hook y'all up on irc.

whole-bit
01-04-2003, 04:07 AM
I like the idea of a simple jet fighting game to start off with. Iv'e recently been researching programming for games on a MAC since that is what I own. It's pretty hard to find people there. Anyway, recently I've been doing a lot of modelling primarily in Lightwave so I feel pretty confident. Maybe you could give me a little tour thru the game engine for some models. I don't use MAX for the obvious reasons but I guess you could; or I could find someone willing to export form that application. Again I like your idea because it doesn't involve a lot of(or too little) unneccessary explanation at this point. I also have Tree Proffessional 4. Not as good as the new version but it makes a fine stick@! OK. gewet back to me. I have an ICQ account.

AtriaLenkki
01-04-2003, 10:55 AM
whole_bit: do you have irc ? if not get mirc from www.downloads.com connect to quakenet ( irc.quakenet.org) and join #pallas-athena , its much easier to explain or "give a tour" when talking in realtime.

If you need more help with mirc ask ;)

whole-bit
01-05-2003, 05:38 PM
I tried using Snak on my MAC but it told me the Pallas-Athena command was unknown when I logged on. I 'll try agian later. I'm not sure what's wrong with the program.

AtriaLenkki
01-05-2003, 07:08 PM
erhm...
most irc clients have thier commands been reckognized by the prefix /

so you would use

/join #pallas-athena

whole-bit
01-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Basically IRC sucks, I get booted unneccessarily whether intentionally or unintentionally while I was talking with these guys. I spent 10 hours or less of my life making an F-18 plane for them and uploaded screen shots to which there ws no reply. "Just forget about it!!" I may but Atria you is a shady MF, anyone reading this post should beware of having their work stolen or the credit for long hours of careful work taken away...

peace bit__
:applause: :thumbsdow

AtriaLenkki
01-16-2003, 02:05 PM
First of all, I nor did any one other boot you, why you got booted, I dont know. could be netsplits, or that your client simply caused an abort ( that happends with mIRC sometimes).

I asked you to show me some pictures of your models, and you showed me some old renderes of a pair of distant planes, where I could see practically nothing of your modeling skills, the only thing I could really distinguish was the background and the lens flare, I asked repeatedly for some pictures showing the independent objects in facetted mode ( flat shaded) so I could judge your models, you continued to spew the same type of images... wich quite frankly annoyed me, and the fact that you couldnt save em as JPG, and instead upploaded them as BMP files while you are on 56k, even as I repeatedly told you to save them as JPG... Ok I was trying to be nice, and offered you to work on a prerendered intro sequence (since I could not even remotley judge your lowpoly skills from the images you uploaded). I gave you some references of the F-18 jet in question, and you went to work, good thing.

Then you come back and show me that picture... and once again I can't see to jet properly, theres an annoying background and a lens flare. and upploaded as BMP. and its skinned with a blurri skin, before even getting some input from the rest of the team, as to check that it is ok.

So I tried being nice with you... I gave you a chance to work on something ( as you wanted, why would you else have came here?), and what do I get ?

Also you claimed to be 22years and from the states, wich by your behaviour seems quite disbeliviable (how do you spell that?)...

Oh and pardon me for my spelling mistakes, spelling aint one of my stronger sides..

edit: look you finally saved that image as jpg...

keysersoze
01-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Hey Lenkki, this is Jake_m :D. Could you give me your email, because I'm having trouble keeping in touch using IRC? If you don't want to post it here, you can PM me through this Messageboard.

I finished the F-14 a couple of days ago, and posted a few pics in IRC, but everyone was afk so I don't know if they saw them (you can check them out here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36979)). I haven't spent much time on it in the last few days, but after class today I plan on doing the finishing touches and uvw mapping it. I have a few people that have requested to skin it, and I also plan on skinning it myself. We can choose the best one, and if it happens to be one other than mine (which is very likely), I'll ask if they'd be interested in helping us out with the rest.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.