PDA

View Full Version : new (or old) way of navigating 3d space

sketchbook
04-13-2006, 06:30 AM
i had a friend over the other day who does a lot of gaming and he creates his own maps. if you do much gaming you are probably aware of the many free 3d modeling apps out there for this sort of thing.

anyhow, i noticed that when he was working in 3d that the way he moved around was actually as if you were in the game. he could go through walls and fly up in the air, etc, but it was just like game play navigation.

i was amazed at how quickly he could move around the environment. you could walk through a windy coridor seconds, where as typical navigation would take 15 mouse commands.

is this something that could be an option in c4d? don't think this would be a good idea for always navigating, but for certain times it would be great.

thanks

Creature
04-13-2006, 07:50 AM
There has been a "Virtual Camera" which did game-like navigation in Cinema4d Version 5 but I think it got killed with Version 6. I have no idea if there is a plugin or keyboard layout to download which mimiks this in the later releases.

And actually I don't need it. I like the navigation as it is now. I think it serves the purpose of 3d modelling and stuff a lot better than the game-first-person camera.

jackb602
04-13-2006, 07:59 AM
FormZ has actually had this feature for many years. It can be very handy, especially for architectural scenes. It would be great to have this feature in Cinema, either as a plugin or built in to the core program.

hightillidie
04-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Hopefully they will include something like this in V 10, I wonder how that would look like :O

sketchbook
04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
any developer want to code something? how much does a custom plugin cost? who built the old one?

nendo_3d
04-13-2006, 03:37 PM
they also have that feature in the new max. av seen videos does seem prity interesting. but i would like to have that in cinema4d as it would make moving around more easier. using the wasd button instead of the icon.

sketchbook
04-13-2006, 04:11 PM
it seam like it would be easy if it's been done before.

ThirdEye
04-13-2006, 05:24 PM
This is pretty normal in other apps, even Maya and XSI have a move/walk/drive tool

Creature
04-14-2006, 06:45 PM
"even Maya and XSI have it" does sound a bit strange. It's not as if Maya and XSI are low-level programs where you are surprised that you find a function there :)

ThirdEye
04-14-2006, 07:07 PM
"even Maya and XSI have it" does sound a bit strange. It's not as if Maya and XSI are low-level programs where you are surprised that you find a function there :)

Agreed, but i said that because this feature sounds more like a feature for archiviz needs, and Maya/XSI aren't really focused on that market, unlike C4D which is pretty strong among architects.

Snorkledorf
04-17-2006, 10:25 AM
That would definitely be a cool feature. Make the controls like Unreal Tournament and my navigation would be substantially improved! :)

Any plugin people want to have at this?

jimzepellin
04-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Another thing I think would be cool is with a walk or fly through, as you navigate you could record the camera movement as a motion path. This would be a pretty cool animation tool.

metagrey
04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Ive been searching for a way to do this for a while.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=303317

It would make single key navigation with my Nostromo Speedpad n52 possible. And rotation of objects (like the Space Ball / Space Pilot maybe). I was able to get something close with "Mouse Keys" in Mac OS X but there was an annoying delay before the cursor moved. I would definitely pay for this functionality.

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.