PDA

View Full Version : Rendering an animation into movie in MAYA...

diginime
04-13-2006, 05:50 AM
I already create an animation in MAYA, then should i render the animation into frames or direct render it into AVI format ? Besides that, i saw on web that they rendered into frames then use program to merge it then create an animation.Can anyone tell me which program is the best to do this job ?Adobe After effects or premiere?I saw they all saved the animation movie file in quicktime format?How to do it?Can anyone post a complete guide?Thanks a lot.

westiemad
04-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Basically you render it out in frames for a couple of reasons, 1) incase the render faults, you don't have to restart the entire job, 2) you are most likely going to render out seperete passes, so u will want the frames.

Most people will use a compositing application, like shake, digital fusion, nuke, after effects etc because they will want to edit the images in some way, add effects etc. Premier will also make videos etc but isn't really a compositing app.

All you do is load the sequence of stills in, and output as a video.

lazzhar
04-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey 1st : render frames, 2nd render frames and last render to frames.
PS: render to frames !!
PS2: Never render to AVI :D

diginime
04-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Basically you render it out in frames for a couple of reasons, 1) incase the render faults, you don't have to restart the entire job, 2) you are most likely going to render out seperete passes, so u will want the frames.

Most people will use a compositing application, like shake, digital fusion, nuke, after effects etc because they will want to edit the images in some way, add effects etc. Premier will also make videos etc but isn't really a compositing app.

All you do is load the sequence of stills in, and output as a video.

Thx for this ! Then can you recommend some of the program mostly used for merging the frames into a movie ?I saw many movies are in Quicktime format.Then wat type of image should i render to in Maya ?

seth0x2b
04-13-2006, 02:10 PM
There are alot of video compositors out there.If you simply want to join the rendered frames, the quickest(and free) way is to use Virtual Dub ( http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ ).
If you need to use some transparency/alpha channel, or add effects at compositing time, you can use Premiere as westiemad suggested, but I personally use AfterFX(both are made by Adobe, but Premiere is more of a final montage tool than a compositing tool).
Whatever method you use, it is the best way to render an animation as static frames(as lazzhar said, rendering directly to AVI is NOT a very good idea because, you could get computer crashes and then you will have to start all over again, and the biggest problem is the fact that(from what I know) Maya renders uncompressed AVI, you have no option as to what codec/compressor it will use, so, for a big animation, you will need a considerable amount of harddisk space)

Cheers

revilo3D
04-13-2006, 10:03 PM
format recommendations - 32bit tga, iff. or rla, exr (high end output requirements...eg rendering hdr of scene)

compositing app of choice - after effects 7, combustion 4

render technique - to more passes to better :P

output format - HQ quicktime, mpeg2 if for DVD, tga image sequence for backup.

diginime
04-14-2006, 02:56 PM
i'm using Adobe Premiere now. I just wonder the duration of a frame should be how many ?How to do all this setting in premiere if want to merge the frames into a movie ?Can give me a complete guide?Thx!!

revilo3D
04-14-2006, 11:04 PM
complete guide.. well there isnt really much to it at all dude.

import the sequence into premiere by selecting 1st image of the sequence then choosing
"numbered stills" in the open box in premiere.

thats it you now have a img seq loaded into prems.

seth0x2b
04-14-2006, 11:41 PM
See if this is of any help: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=127594

I really think you should use VirtualDUB. It's way more simple( IMHO )

Step 1. Get VirtualDub http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.6.14.zip?download
and extract the contents anywhere ( it doesn't need to install anything to run )

Step 2: Run VirtualDUB.exe, go to File > Open video file > Set "Files of type" to "Image Sequence", go to the folder where you have your still frames, select the first frame and click "Open".

Step 3: Go to Video > Compression.There you will have a list of ALL the codecs/compressors installed on your computer. Select the one you want to use ( I personally prefer xVid because is has no restrictions(frame dimensions, color depth etc.) and click "Ok".

Step 4 (optional): Go to Audio and set audio to "None", or Wav file if you want audio for the movie. This will open a file open dialog where you can select an external Wav file...

Step 5: File > Save as AVI

Step 6: Enjoy your animation ;)

Cheers.
P.S. I asumed you use Windows ...

Hamfam
04-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks alot Seth! That advice was very helpful!

GoranNF
05-01-2006, 12:37 PM
See if this is of any help: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=127594

I really think you should use VirtualDUB. It's way more simple( IMHO )

Step 1. Get VirtualDub http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.6.14.zip?download
and extract the contents anywhere ( it doesn't need to install anything to run )

Step 2: Run VirtualDUB.exe, go to File > Open video file > Set "Files of type" to "Image Sequence", go to the folder where you have your still frames, select the first frame and click "Open".

Step 3: Go to Video > Compression.There you will have a list of ALL the codecs/compressors installed on your computer. Select the one you want to use ( I personally prefer xVid because is has no restrictions(frame dimensions, color depth etc.) and click "Ok".

Step 4 (optional): Go to Audio and set audio to "None", or Wav file if you want audio for the movie. This will open a file open dialog where you can select an external Wav file...

Step 5: File > Save as AVI

Step 6: Enjoy your animation ;)

Cheers.
P.S. I asumed you use Windows ...

Just a simple quick question:are avi files larger than mov files?And which file type is the best to use to render the images,bmp,png,tga,jpg or jpeg?Thanx for the tip.

seth0x2b
05-01-2006, 02:11 PM
are avi files larger than mov files?
Well it really depends on alot of things.(Almost) every codec/compressor has some settings that you can adjust.I've never done any .MOV so I can't really make a comparison, but a good compressor combined with .AVI output is all that(I think) you'll need.

And which file type is the best to use to render the images,bmp,png,tga,jpg or jpeg?

I would say .tga because it has alpha channel information(that you can composite later on with any compositing software). If you're going for less disk space usage, then JPEG is the way to go. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice.

Cheers

GoranNF
05-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Well it really depends on alot of things.(Almost) every codec/compressor has some settings that you can adjust.I've never done any .MOV so I can't really make a comparison, but a good compressor combined with .AVI output is all that(I think) you'll need.

I would say .tga because it has alpha channel information(that you can composite later on with any compositing software). If you're going for less disk space usage, then JPEG is the way to go. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice.

Cheers
First of all,thanx alot.I'm not worried about disk space usage,but about the size of a movie.I guess if I make a avi movie from JPEG,the size is less than if I make a avi movie from PNG,right?

seth0x2b
05-01-2006, 02:31 PM
You know...I've never really given this alot of thought ;)
But from what I know, the compositing software doesn't really care what your choice of input file is, but the output.
I think the file type you give to the software is "transformed" at render time(video render of course). Anyone feel free to correct me...
I use .tga on a regular basis and jpeg's only for test renders ( or for school :) ).
Jpeg's are smaller but have poor quality compared to ( some ) other formats because, well...they're compressed. TIFF is the best way to go( has alpha and good quality ), but they're bigger in size and you can't use them with VirtualDUB( any other compositors have no such problem).

Cheers

P.S. Stay away from .PNG's :D

revilo3D
05-02-2006, 06:08 AM
render uncompressed .tga files. if compositing consider using rla (able to store a zmap in a 5th channel.)

then compress movie output using the codec of your choice :)

GoranNF
05-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanx alot for the great help guys.

etfonehome
05-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Ok, i guess its my turn to ask a question:) How do you make it into .mov, instead of .avi

dacct
05-02-2006, 04:15 PM
QuickTime Pro (USD29.99)

etfonehome
05-03-2006, 07:25 AM
What do you mean by it, i have a copy of Pro, its my dads, so what do you do?

seth0x2b
05-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I think AfterFX can render to .MOV as long as you have quicktime(or quicktime codecs) installed. You could ask on the AfterFX forum.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2006, 09:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.