PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Thread of ICY

ICY
04-13-2006, 04:45 AM
Just started my new drawing. This time in clothes :)

Rebeccak
04-13-2006, 04:57 AM
Heya Irina,

Good to see your thread finally up! :) You should definitely post some of your great pieces from the Workshop ~ you did some fantastic work!

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

ICY
04-15-2006, 06:04 AM
Thank you, Rebecca. I have posted some of the work I have done during the workshop into my portfolio section. I still need to finish some of the images. Maybe :)

I would really like to work with the reference I am using, maybe try different styles. Is it okay to do in this section or it's for finished art only?

By the way, I saw your last piece from your blog and I really loved it.

Rebeccak
04-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey Irina,

You are more than welcome to post WIP here ~ the Anatomy Forum used to be in the WIP area and it's the way I'd still like for the forum to be seen, as a place for work in progress and critique.

Looks like you're off to a great start on your new piece, though I'd still love for you to post your finished work from the Workshop here if you get the chance. :) It might be helpful if you could post the reference you are using as well for comparison.

Thanks for your comment on my blog piece! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

ICY
04-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Good morning, Rebecca! Here is an update on my image. I am not sure if I can post the reference; my friend (not a girlfriend to make it clear :) posed for me and I think she will kill me if I post her pic on the internet. I promise, I will stay as close to the reference as possible and I am not going to give up until I complete the image. Will have something to do for the next 5 years :)

I will post my workshop sketches later :)

Thank you for your comment!

Rebeccak
04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
LOL ~ no worries about the reference, then. :) Hey, this is looking really nice! Another portfolio piece, then, on the way. :arteest:

~Rebeccak

ICY
04-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Hi Rebecca,

I had some time today to work on my project. This is where I am so far. I would say it's done. But my problem is that I am not sure where the "done" point is. Can you tell me what else I should work on to finish the image?

By the way, thank you so much for class. I feel so much confident and comfortable when I paint.

Rebeccak
04-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Irina,

Have been out of town or would have replied earlier...your work looks beautiful! :) I would say that the hand is painted amazingly, and that it would be nice to see the whole figure brought up to this level, as well as the cloth.

The right lower leg looks atm a bit stuck onto the upper right leg ~ you might try to correct that a bit and make it look a bit more natural.

If you get the chance, definitely check out the SPOTLIGHT OFDW threads, for example:

SPOTLIGHT: Best of OFDW 011 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=346980)

SPOTLIGHT: Best of OFDW 008 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=346963)

There is just tons of great work there, and I think you share a lot in common with the artists whose work is showcased there (and if you've not already seen, your work is showcased as well in the Personal Anatomy SPOTLIGHT threads). :)

Looking forward to seeing more updates!

~Rk

Rebeccak
04-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Irina,

I'm really sorry, I lied, I hadn't SPOTLIGHTED your work yet b/c I was waiting for you to post your Workshop pieces ~ I'm sorry, I forgot, but I've now posted your recent work here:

SPOTLIGHT: Best of the Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads, F~J (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3462846#post3462846)

Sorry for the confusion!

~Rebeccak

ICY
04-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Hi Rebecca,

Well, I kind of started on the new image while you were away :) Maybe I will come back to the first one when I have a time. I did look at the links you published, some of the images look really nice. Are they all from the classes you've taught?

That's okay that you forgot about me :) I don't really need to be showcased. I am just painting for fun. As Poe said: a writer doesn't need a hundred readers; just one, who is able to read and believe :)

Anyway, this is the image I am currently working on. I don't like the face. She looks scared :) I think I will change it.

Rebeccak
04-25-2006, 02:42 AM
Hey Irina,

Ah, you're work is finally showcased (though I would still like to post your Workshop work there, hint hint ;) ~ if you could post it here, I can showcase that too along with your current work. :)

I really like the way you are capturing the light in your images ~ these have a really nice, distinctly feminine feel, and your characters / subjects always have a strong presence ~ it would be great to see one of the portraits developed further. I also really like the way you are rendering cloth. Are you a fan of Sargent? I think you might really enjoy doing a Master Copy of his work, for example:

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/sargent/jm-sears.jpg

With respect to the other SPOTLIGHT threads, no, I've only taught two Workshops ~ the work is from work that has been posted to or created on the Anatomy Forum over the last year. I really encourage you to participate in the OFDWs ~ all of the best work from the previous works was SPOTLIGHTED ~ hope you got the chance to take a look! :)

The most recent OFDW, which lasts for 4 weeks, is:

Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Rembrandt Master Copy - with Rebeccak 016 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=349580)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=349580

I think you would really enjoy participating! You would do beautiful work. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

ICY
05-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Hello Rebecca,

I got lost for a while in my final exams. Still have one class to finish, but at least I am done with math :) and now can spend some time on art. I will definitely try to copy the image you have posted. I am not a big fan of Sergent, I know very little about him, verses Dali - I have almost all books he wrote and the ones that were written about him :)

I miss the class you were teaching, it kept me working on my art skills :) I knew that ones class is over I will have a little time for painting... But I will try to participate in your workshops during summer :)

You have changed your avatar images :) Looks cute.

Rebeccak
05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey Irina,

It's great to see you back! :) I miss the comraderie and intense focus of the Workshops as well, but I will admit that they are intense and I am glad for a brief break. :)

You're more than welcome to copy the artist of your choice ~ it would be great to see a Dali copy! I have not seen one yet on the boards. :)

Glad to hear that you are through with your exams, and I really hope that you can participate in the Workshops ~ I think you will quite enjoy them. :)

Cheers,

~Rebecca

se7en-z3r0
05-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Hey comrade : ) These new pieces look dope Ir! Love the one of the girl laying down. Your confidence is really showing here, great stuff.

ICY
05-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Hello Rebecca,

Here is an update on my painting. I still have to paint hands and some details; maybe one weekend when I don't have to work :)

Hey Shay! Yes, confidence :) Can you believe what Rebecca has done to me?

Rebeccak
05-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Irina,

Wow, beautiful progress on this ~ I really hope you finish it! :)

One thing you need to work on ~ convincing Shay here to post his Anatomy Thread. ;)

Cheers,

~Rebecca

ICY
05-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Thank you Rebecca, I will try. I am getting tired of it a little.

Shay, post your Anatomy Thread. Please :)

paperclip
05-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Beautiful work there!! I very much approve....particularly the one of the woman on the bed, great values you have going there!

(just one little crit, would you mind putting your pictures actually IN the post, using the
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/editor/insertimage.gif
icon- you paste in the hosted image (I use imageshack) and it'll come right up on the post. You tend to get more replies if people don't have to click on thumbnails. Yes, I know people are lazy. :p

Seriously though, great work here and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

se7en-z3r0
05-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Shay, post your Anatomy Thread. Please :)

That must have been a real strain... 6 words. I would be embarassed if I were you ; ) *more enticing needed* : p

Rebeccak
05-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Shay: *more enticing needed*
How about: all the cool kids who aren't chicken sh** scared are doing it? :D

We tease because we love. ;)

Cheers,

~Rk

ICY
05-20-2006, 01:34 PM
That must have been a real strain... 6 words

I would like to say sorry, but right now the only sorry I feel is for myself. For the last month I have been working 14 hours a day plus every weekend. And at this particular moment, I am drinking coffee and going back to work... to make my CEO and his kids richer and happier. Such question as "what is my life for" and "how can I make someone happy" have long left my mind. I am an angry individual who is trying to see the light at the end of the tonnel, but the light at the end of the tonnel is just another train. What else to say? I am cought in the Matrix.

More later... when I come back from the dead.

se7en-z3r0
05-20-2006, 02:14 PM
How about: all the cool kids who aren't chicken sh** scared are doing it? :D

LMAO. Okay. Okay. I have been busy but I will try to put one up this weekend.

Ir - sorry to hear about all the work for little or no personal gain. I feel that way some times too. We are a moody, depressing pair aren't we ; ) It will get better... have faith.

Rebeccak
05-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Irina,

I know how you feel, it's why I'd prefer to teach than work in an office ~ bear up, times like these always make you stronger in retrospect, trust me. ;)

Here's hoping you can get back to your own art soon. :)

Shay,

I'm glad to finally see your thread up ~ between Irina and I, your butt should be whipped into shape in no time. ;)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Icey
05-21-2006, 10:17 AM
beautyful things here...
I'm sorry for the problems at work.. I only am aware of my problems and my lost nights in school - but i think that's candy compared to yours...
hope you manage an update -i'll be checking in
Love your stuff!

Cheers!
Icey

ICY
06-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I feel that way some times too. We are a moody, depressing pair aren't we ; )

I was thinking last night that maybe some people live to work, but I would like to work in order to support my basic needs. Work for me is not a method to escape life, I don't spend hours of my personal time thinking about the projects. This was the last time I spent a month in the office without a weekend.

se7en, have you ever created your Anatomy Thread?

I know how you feel, it's why I'd prefer to teach than work in an office

Rebecca, I prefer to work in a library :) there are never any people, just books. But I am afraid that I would not make it; I will have to chose between having electicity and not having a place to live, internet connection, and phone. Or having a phone, but nothing else :)

Hey Icey,

Thank you!

Anyway, here is the last for this image. I feel like I need to move on something else. The time away from it didnt help much.

Hope you all having a good day!

Rebeccak
06-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Irina,

There's a beautiful quality to this piece, and I'm glad you finished it. :) I don't know that it would work as well as an over~rendered piece, though at some point you might want to take the rendering a bit further. The hands are lovely, and the expression on the face is quite captivating. Nice work with this, and I look forward to seeing more of your work. :)

Cheers,

~Rebecca

se7en-z3r0
06-05-2006, 02:00 PM
hey bookworm... excellent final piece : ) The rendering looks great so there is not much to suggest. You could try to work in a few brighter highlights in the key focal areas like a glint in the eye's, the left edge of the face, etc. One thing that really helps make an image come to life is adding a VERY subtle glow to the highlights. Realistic no, but we are artists right ; )

You could also have some fun with the blur tool in PS and create a depth of field effects in the image where the details blur out as they go back from the viewer. Anyway you rock.

How's life, work, cats, KGB, etc.? Still under the job crunch or did you come up for air yet? Hope everything is well comrade ; )

umbrellasky
06-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Irina, beautiful painting. I like the lighting very much, and the skin tones. Like Rebecca said, this piece has a beautiful quality. :)

ICY
06-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Thank you Rebecca. I really didn't want to take time off of painting, it's just happened. Hopefully I will have more time now.

se7en, it is a strange way to answer questions, but oh well :) Here is glowing girl with a blured background. I am not sure if this is what you meant. I need to move on something else, this furnished room is becoming old. Life is getting better, I am coming back from a shoke, everything is strange, the grass is green... I am not sure where to apply myself :)
How is your business going? How is family doing? Something new you have painted lately?

enialadam, thank you!

SpoonSpoon
06-06-2006, 05:01 AM
'Great work is done by those who are not afraid to be great.'

In case you don't get told enough - you are the best. Everything you do is truly great. I love you:)

ICY
06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
And I love you Spoon! I just wonder if Art is actually a work or it's a poetry? Rebecca probably knows, but will she tell us?

ICY
06-06-2006, 06:23 PM
The weather is nice, isn't it? :) Just started my next image.

Rebeccak
06-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Irina,

Lovely start! Looking forward to seeing progress on this. :)

Cheers,

~Rebecca

ICY
06-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Rebecca!

We missed you last week. Did the move go well? Sorry, you had to let go the house where you grew up.

Her is an update on my image. I also wanted to join your workshop today :) but had realized that it ends today. I guess I have to wait for the next one :)

Rebeccak
06-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi Irina!

That's looking gorgeous so far. :) Thanks for the guestbook entry in my CGP ~ yes, moving was a bit emotional at first (at least for me, my folks are chipper as beavers to be at the beach) but I'm actually really excited for the new location and caught many fish in between moving boxes from their backyard. ;)

Well, OFDW 017 ends today, but OFDW 018 begins as well. :) Really I usually post the new OFDW the concluding Sunday evening of the previous Workshop, so it will probably be pretty late tonight. Look for it tomorrow morning! I would love to have your participation there! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing more updates. One thing about your current piece is that the light seems just faintly gray. In some ways, I like this tint to the color, but you might try experimenting with bringing just a hint more of saturation into the colors (not too much). :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Heya Irina, :)

You should join the ongoing Workshop:

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 1 - The Head (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375031&page=1&pp=15)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375031&page=1&pp=15

I didn't know if you had seen it. :) Going to invite the others from the Workshop as well. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

ICY
06-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Thank you Rebecca! Yes, I have seen the new workshop last week and downloaded the references. I didn't have a time to do any work on anything; I am on the road starting last Saturday: conference in Florida and now NC - taking pictures and video of some military stuff for the courseware I am working on. I am planning on getting home tonight, and hopping to do some painting this weekend. Thank you for the invitation again!

se7en-z3r0
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey sister! Love the new piece. When I saw the face I thought what a great pose, then I scroll down and it just gets better ; ) Very bold. What brush did you use along the hairline in the portrait, it looks great. Can't wait to see more of you : )

Has work evened out yet? Any new travels? Miss ya : )

ICY
07-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey brother! :) I think I will never have time to do anything but working :) Just came back from a useless conference and got 2 deadlines. Our office is growing, we get more work than we can handle. I need to start looking for a smaller place.

I wanted to participate in Rebecca's workshop, but I can't find any time. I wonder how artists find time for their art. Seen your new web site, how is your life going? The brush is custom made in Photoshop, a lot of 1 pixel dots with different settings. Works good as Smudge too.

What else your are working on lately?

Rebeccak
07-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey, good to see my peeps are still around! :) Irina, hope work slows down a bit to give you guys a chance to catch up, and more importantly, so you can find the time to do some fun stuff. You too, Shay! :)

Cheers,

~RK

se7en-z3r0
08-30-2006, 03:49 AM
hey slacker where are you? Did the KGB finally catch up with you ; ) haha. Miss ya dude. Hope everything is going well for ya.

ICY
08-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Hey se7en. No, I did finally catch up with KGB :)
And I am not the one who dissapears anyway all the time.
If you mean that I don't draw, you are right. I am a slacker. One needs to do it all the time, because the pencil is not a bike, you can't just get it out of the closet and ride it like there wasn't 10 years without practice.
Hope everything is well with you and your family :)

ICY
12-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Oh, how long was it? Seems like a whole life went by.
I hope everybody is doing well! Here is my finally finished image.
All it took is to have a little time to work on it.

Rebeccak
12-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Irina,

That's a gorgeous piece, congrats on finishing it. :) The face is really strong and I like the unified, subdued color scheme. The only critique I might have to offer is that the areas that are outlined a bit such as foreground arm and leg might read better if painted with tones as is the face.

A traditional oil painter you might really like is David Kassan:

http://www.davidkassan.com/

Definitely check out his work - though an oil painter, there's a similar feeling in your work and his and I think he's definitely an inspiring artist! :)

Hope to see more painting soon. :)

Cheers,

-RK

se7en-z3r0
12-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Love it! The pose is so defiant. So much strength of character. I wouls say you captured the essence of the model really well. She looks like a real spitfire : )

Hit me up sometime. Hoping everything is well.

anandpg
12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Nice painting ICY..:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.