PDA

View Full Version : hyperRealCorrectiveShape issue

bjb3812
04-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Hello all,
To those of you who have played around with parallel blend shapes, you might have come across the problem of the blendshape looking out of whack when rotating your joints along the y-axis. There was a nice script on the Maya Techniques Hyper-Realistic facial rigging II DVD called hyperRealCorrectiveShape, written by Erick Miller, which nicely fixes the rotation issue associated with parallel blendshapes. This is the description of the script:

"This mel script's useful functionality works by creating a couple blendshapes and actually replicating the bind on a new skin cluster so that the offset vectors that come out of the blend shape end up post deforming properly,by hijacking the skinCluster's bindPreMatrix[] attributes, and setting them so that the bind begins from the current posed state."

For my character, I have the skin and clothing all bound to the same skeleton. The script works great for the body, but the issue I'm having is when I try to use the script again to make correct shapes for the clothing, it performs without errors, but the corrective shapes it produces are not looking right. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the reverse binding, or deformation order, but if I perform the script on the clothing BEFORE i use it on the body, the corrective shapes for the clothing all look right, but the ones for the body are out of whack now.

If anyone has any experience with using this script or has any idea of what might have happen, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

bjb3812
04-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey Everyone,
For any of you interesting in this issue, I figured out a workaround to the problem I was having. It seems that with Erick's script, there is only one bindPreMatrix stored, which would make sense to why I can get the script to only work on one item bound to the skeleton, and not anymore. For the fix, what I basically did was, instead of having my character and his clothes both bound to the same skeleton, I had the skin bound to one skeleton, duplicated the skeleton, then bound the clothing to the new skeleton and copied the weights over. I deleted any joints that weren't part of the bind, then just used the connection editor to hook up the translate, rotate, and scale attributes from the my main skeleton to the cloth driven skeleton. I used the hyperCorrectiveShape script on both, and no problems - wahoo! I haven't noticed a lag in speed, plus all this is happening on my bound rig anyways, so it's not that big of a deal. I have a very fast control rig in another file that drives the bound rig. So if any of you have run into this problem, hope some of this info helps.

sethmisek
10-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Hyper-Realistic Facial Rigging II sounds like it has some good stuff and I will probly check it out. Have you seen the earlier Hyper Realistic Facial Setup, and if you have was that a good read? Im not sure whether to purchase both DVds or just Facial Rigging II.

Or does anyone know of a better DVD or book for advanced facial rigging.

bjb3812
10-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Yes, I own both of the facial rigging DVDs and have to say it's some of the best stuff that I've seen and very beneficial for people who like to pay attention to detail when setting up their characters for animation. On the autodesk/alias website it specificies what is talked about in each DVD so you can decide which one you'd want, but they were created so the facial rigging II would build off the first one so i would definitely recommend getting both.

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2006, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.