PDA

View Full Version : Rigging: Skin Binding Question (newbie)

Yellochevy02
04-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I am a student, and this is my frist time rigging a character, I have run in to a problem with binding a glove onto a rig. I am currently rigging a bi-ped complete with arms. Last week i finaly was able to get the arms fully rigged. When i moved the right arm rig the skin wouldn't bind to the rig, even though i smooth binded the skin to the rig before i added the IK handle. The right arm rig appears to have a skin binded to it but the skin isn't wanting to bind to it. I've tried to re-bind the skin but maya keeps throwing an error message at me:

Error: selected geometery "polySurface14" is already connected to a skinCluster

I've tried to detach the skin on the rig and then rebind the geometry to the rig but maya keeps throwing an error message at me, again:

Error: Skin on L_hip was bound at a different pose. Go to the bindPose to attach new skins.

Tried "go to bindPose" with rig and geometry selected:

Error: Go to bind pose requires that you select a skeleton

What do i do to fix the problem?

rigging3d
04-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Error: selected geometery "polySurface14" is already connected to a skinCluster

I've tried to detach the skin on the rig and then rebind the geometry to the rig but maya keeps throwing an error message at me, again:

I'll try to help you out. Without seeing the scene, I can't be sure of exactly what is happening, but I'll take a stab at it.

First of all, if you have detached the skin, you should be able to rebind it with no problem. Theoretically you should even be able to keep the deformer history on it with no problem (found under edit-->delete by type-->non deformer history and also skin-->detach skin-->[option box] keep history, this retains all your weight painting information which in turn saves you from the insane asylum).

Since Maya seems to be acting retarded in that respect, there is a way to force it. I call this my duct tape method, as that seems to be what is required in rigging...lots of duct tape :D (And once in a while a sledge hammer)

Open your hypergraph and select the mesh. Click the icon 'Input and Output Connections' to view all the inputs and outputs. It's the one with the little yellow box and two gray boxes branching out of it. Hit 'F' to frame the mesh node if it doesn't appear. There should be a node connected to the mesh node that is named something like skinCluster1. Delete it. Then to be safe delete the history on the mesh again as well. Now you should be able to rebind the skin.

Error: Skin on L_hip was bound at a different pose. Go to the bindPose to attach new skins.

Tried "go to bindPose" with rig and geometry selected:

Error: Go to bind pose requires that you select a skeleton

To go to the bind pose you have to select a joint in the chain of the rig. If you get an error message that the pose is not acheived you can go to the same place as above where the skinCluster was and delete the node name bindPose. It won't hurt a thing to delete the bindPose except that you won't be able to return the character to the default pose easily. All you would do instead is zero out all controllers. I usually wind up deleting the bindPose when I'm rigging, especially if I'm adding influences.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions you can email me. tpayne21@student.scad.edu

dunkelzahn
04-13-2006, 02:06 PM

You need to select your root joint, so the whole skeleton is selected. Now use go to bind pose and your skeleton should jump back to the bind pose. If you have an IK solver attached to your arm, it might not be possible to go to the bind pose, so youŽll need to delete the IK solver.

You canŽt rebind a mesh two times. However you can bind several meshes to the same skeleton.

Maybe upload some screenshots somewhere, because that usually helps people to understand your problem and find a solution for you.

Cheers

Chris

lemonyfresh
04-18-2006, 05:53 PM
First off your work flow should be to first get all of your skins bound and deforming properly before you start with IK handles.

That aside you can disable IK solvers by going to Modifiy - Evaluate Nodes - IK solvers. You only have to select the skeleton to go to bind pose, you don't have to select the skin as well. So try to get your bind pose again. If you still can't get to bind pose there is something other than the IK solver getting in your way, possibly a constraint, you can use the above mentioned menu to disable more solvers like constraints. In the same way that you don't need to select the skin to go to bind pose, you don't need to select the skeleton to remove the skin from it, just select the skin and try to detach it. If you still can't get to bind pose Deleting History on a skin will remove the bind pose, however it will freeze the modle in the position it is currently in, where removing the bind pose from the skin menu will get the mesh back to bind pose.

I would also suggest using the skeleton nutral pose. Set up the nutral pose just after creating bind poses, occasionally you can get to the nutral pose even if you can't get to the bind pose, I don't know why. Also if you end up having to delete you bind pose then you still have a pose to go to to get your character back to where you started from.

Good Luck.

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 05:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.