PDA

View Full Version : Skin weight problem. Vertex has a total weight of 2.

Beach_Head
04-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Hello, this is my first post. I've got this small problem with my skin weights, hopefully someone has seen this before.

Everytime I open my Maya scene file, this one vert in the characters leg has a total weight of 2, and it shoots out like a spike from the characters body. The weight is supposed to be 100% to the knee. It's easy to set the weighting from the hip back to zero. The problem is, that even if I fix the problem and save, the total weight will be reset to 2 the next time I open the file, and I have to fix it again. As you can imagine, it's a really annoying problem. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.pirateshipcrew.com/hostedimages/vert01.jpg

http://www.pirateshipcrew.com/hostedimages/vert02.jpg

instruct9r
04-11-2006, 10:50 PM
How you fix the problem?? Try just to move the vertex to the position you want, its not verry good to do this for future but it work sometimes..

john_homer
04-11-2006, 11:20 PM
make sure "maintain max influences" is OFF on the skin cluster and that "normalize weights" is ON.

make sure that no joints have "hold" on when you set the weights.
and check that maya actually made the change before saving (open and close the component editor and check it, the component editor does not always update)

sorry instruct9r but I could not disagree more with your suggestion, I can not see how that could ever work. the vert will still be weighted 200% and double deform. plus it will have a tweak that is simply relative to bindpose.

.j

instruct9r
04-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Yep.. my fault. I know its not a good idea but when the character is not on you'r computer its hard sometimes to figure out what exactly is happening.
It could be some Bug also, and Beach_Head will have to detach and bind it again.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2006, 08:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.