PDA

View Full Version : mib_geo_??? how it works ?

smoluck
04-11-2006, 03:48 PM
I want to render many Cube placed at different position on my viewport and after some test with real Cube that confirm that I need another solution, I found the Geometry tabs of the Mental Ray nodes. Just an answer:

how the mib_geo_cube works ? Do mental ray create a render of a cube just as post process ?

the help just say me that :curious:

Cube

Generates an axis-aligned unit cube with volume 1 centered on the origin.

geometry "mib_geo_cube" ()There are no parameters.

francescaluce
04-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I want to render many Cube placed at different position on my viewport and after some test with real Cube that confirm that I need another solutionyou need another solution to render out cubes ?
mib_geo_cube is just a compiled example of how to use geoshaders.
it does nothing.. ehm it creates a cube. it means that if you put a
torus in the scene and attach to its geoshader slot a mib_cube..
well you'll get a cube instead. :)

try to look at particle instancing to get easily a lot of cubes on different
positions and so on.

ciao
francesca

jbradley
04-12-2006, 03:50 PM
How in the world to create your own custom geo shader and use that in Maya and render with MR for Maya, not standalone MR.

That's a major beef I have with Maya right now, to render a huge scene with, say, 100k trees, there's no possible way except with PFX or MR standalone.

I'd love a tutorial on how to compile a geo shader for MR and actually have Maya use it - or compile a geo shader from an exported .mi file (such as a pfx-to-poly converted pfx tree).

francescaluce - i noticed you posted in another thread about doing something like this, but I have no idea where to begin. could you offer any tips on how to get started, or even how to approach it?

thanks!

smoluck
04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
thanks for your advice, but francescaluce can you explain a bit more about the Connection between any poly object or particle to create a cube by using a connection with mib_geo_cube.

I mean If I can do a cloud of vertex (where eatch were unique object) can I put some material on it and render them out as many MRCubes that they as different materials ?

Excuse me for my poor explaination but for exemple can I apply mib_geo_cube to just an object who's composed just by 1 vertex and apply it a specific lambert material for exemple ?

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.