PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go to?

BGHart
04-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Until a few months I only did 3D-works. But I found that my skills were not good enough for the images I wanted to to. So I decided to go back to the roots and paint. After several desastrous trials I hope this one is good enough to be discussed.
I am still not familiar with all those functions in Photoshop especially the layer modi. So I'm afraid I spoiled this one in the neck area because I merged the layers to early and now it looks a bit flat.
Nevertheless I would love to know what you people think about it and I would very much appreciate any advice you can give. I am not content with the hair, the eyes (especially the lashes) and the background on the right side.
I am sure you will find more mistakes and have suggestions how I can improve. Please don't hesitate to tell me. I am eager to learn and to gain from your know-how.

Friendly Britta:)

ThePhotographer
04-12-2006, 12:26 AM
I find this image very good already. It reminds me a bit of the Italian renaissance painters !

Are you working from a reference ? If yes, check up all the anatomy once again. If not, try to find something you can use for it. I think there are some not very big anatomy problems which would make the image look nicer if you find out how to fix them. The easiest way would be to look at some similar pictures.

It could use some more contrast and some kind of lightsource with one of the sides of her face being slightly more in shadow than the other. That would probably help getting things pop out a little more.

But I really like it already !

BGHart
04-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Thank you for your kind words and advice.
I worked after a reference, but the image was too small to show up the details. For my next work I will choose a bigger photo. I think I know what you mean about the atonomy. When I turned the pic from left to right I also found she looked a bit queer. I hope I can fix this. I will rework it and see if I can make it look more three dimensional.
I am glad you like it already. That encourages me. :)

Dit bonjour à Portbail de ma part. J'ai passée deux ans en France, et les parents de mon ami habitait St. Sauveur le Vicomte qui est très proche de Portbail. :)

Mu
04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I must say it is a quite nice painting already, too.

As Gitte said: mind your values. If you want to avoid a flat look there has to be a nice contrast between the values.

As concerns your thread title (where to go): I would say: come to the anatomy forum and check out the tutorials and workshops. Heavy workload in any of them will provide you with answers to all the common questions of digital character painting/drawing.

:thumbsup:

BGHart
04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Thank you. Das guck ich mir doch gleich mal an. :)

MystAvalon
04-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Britta,

I think you did a beautiful job! In fact, I loved the other pics you have on your portfolio so I put you in my favorite places. Good job!
Kelly

ThePhotographer
04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Britta, das darf wohl nicht wahr sein ! Someone here actually knows Port-Bail (1700 inhabitants :scream: ). I used to live in Paris (15 years) and I have to admit that I'm not totally happy here after 3 years .... One good thing is that the photographer in St Sauveur le Vicomte has shut down his store :beer: .

I lived two years in Germany too - in a small town called Hahn between Düsseldorf and Wuppertal.

Well, the world is really getting smaller and smaller !

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.