PDA

View Full Version : perspective (camera) projection in mentalray

djx
04-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Does anyone know if its possible to get the perspective-projection method to work in mentalray-for-maya?

francescaluce
04-11-2006, 02:58 AM
I dunno... what is 'perspective-projection method' ?
if it is what the name implies you could just use a
Projection node set the projType to Perspective
and link the camera with the linkToCamera param.

ciao
francesca

djx
04-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Yes thats it - the maya 3d-projection node has several "types" one of which is perspective, and then you link it to the camera. It works correctly in the software render, but not when I switch to mental-ray-for-maya render.

I'm currently reading the mental-ray manuals and can see that the mr texture-look-up nodes have a paramater that can be set to "camera space" and Im hoping to decypher them enough to get this working. Maybe someone has already done this?

Or am I missing something simple with the maya projection node that I could do to get that to work in mentalray.

Thanks.

slipknot66
04-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Not sure but i think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.thereisnoluck.com/plugins_projection.php

Hope it helps

djx
04-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Thanks slipknot66. Thats probably way more than what I was looking for, but I'll give it a try.

Interestingly the docs state "this shader does not do any perspective texture
projections itself. That process is currently left up to the MAYA projection texture node".

Jeremy Pronk's shader works in mentalray. So I should be able to get maya's projection node to work in mentalray too - right? I must be overlooking something. As I said, it works for maya-software-render, but when I switch to mentalray the camera link seems to be ignored.

djx
04-20-2006, 01:32 AM
I finally got a chance to look into this some more. The perspective projection works fine in mentalray, but not if you map it to the intensity of a light. (This only works with sw renderer).

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2006, 01:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.