PDA

View Full Version : Monitor calibration issues....

ChrisDeKitchen
04-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Hey, I've been working on various 2d and 3d stuff for quite some time now and just recently realized how different things look on different monitors. I've been using an LCD monitor with really intense brightness and contrast values. But then I looked at some of the stuff I've done on a CRT monitor, basically it was really dark and hard to make out any details in the image.

So I would like some help setting my gamma values correctly. The following images are before and after I tried to change my gamma/brightness to accomodate for other peoples gamma settings. First image is in the gamma/brightness range I used to create my stuff, looks good on my monitor. Second image is a slightly reworked one using the gamma settings that I hope are somewhat more mainstream and will work for more monitors.

So which one is the better one? A simple 1 or 2 response would do, but feel free to give a more in-depth answer. :)

If anyone would like to give me some feedback on the image itself, express your interest and maybe I could upload a bigger version of it. Thx in advance for your help. :) And I'm sorry for the lousy Imageshack URL. Couldn't find a better file host.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9682/comparison2xb.th.jpg (http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=comparison2xb.jpg)

jmBoekestein
04-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Finally someone who has the same. I have a highcontrast tube, I used to draw on it with the extra guns on(superbright mode or something), turnedd out flat apparently.

Well number 2 is far better in terms of realism, and there's definite loss of detail on the first in my case. I suppose I could tone down the contrast and crank up the brightness. But pictures look worse that way. So I'm guessing for CRT second. :p

Are you working for print or digital media?

Runecaster
04-11-2006, 02:32 AM
#2 looks way better for me, but then I am using a LCD with all that fancy adobe monitor calibration... so I don't know if that helps you any :D

As far as the image goes - dude, that is RIGHT up my alley. Gorgeous - reminds me of John Howe.

TychoCelchuuu
04-11-2006, 02:40 AM
I like #2 better aesthetically but there aren't any details there that I can't see in #1. However, when I move it to my CRT (I have 2 monitors hooked up wee) the skulls/whatever in his cape thing are almost invisible in the left picture.

keight
04-11-2006, 03:14 AM
#2, LCD monitor, Adobe Gamma settings.

By the way, I like the piece.

nafa
04-11-2006, 03:53 AM
Neither work too well. #1 has a lot more details, but you need a setting that allows you to render the smouldering lava to a brighter value.

The lava in #2 looks right, but the hole in the sky is a square inch of dead white. You probably dont want that since you have bothered to paint in all those midtone values around the hole seen in #1.

In addition to gamma adjustment, you can calibrate your monitor's other settings using commercial or free tools. Here is a free one that works reasonably:
http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp

ChrisDeKitchen
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Thx for the replies guys. At the moment I work mostly for digital media and I am aspiring to get hired by some games studio some day. This gamma thing turned out to be a bigger problem than I had first thought since it's important to do texturing etc. in the same gamma/brightness range as the target audiences monitors. Or everything will turn out very flat or completely black.

It's quite possible that the image lost a whole range of midtones since all I did was to tweak it a bit in photoshop with the colour/brightness tools.

Anyhoo, thx for your help, it's highly appreciated. I'll have a look at that gamma program too.

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.