PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Hair Modeling

mukiex
04-10-2006, 04:12 PM
So I've been looking at games like DOA, Soul Calibur, Guild Wars, and movies like Final Fantasy : Advent Children (and all the FMV from FFX 'n X-2). Going back and forth, I can't seem to understand how to model alpha hair.

I'm talking about the kind of hair you see in stuff like this :

http://emonville.com/mukichan/src/1144681630165.jpg

I'll admit it's not the best sample in the world, but if I could model like this, I'd be gloriously happy. The alpha making isn't the tricky part. It's the making hair strands. I'm not used to doing things high-level from the start; everything I've ever done in 3D started simple and built up to complex. However, I can't seem to find any possible method for making hair without literally taking planes, dividing them, and editing each and every one one to look just right, vertex by vertex. I figure the girl in the first screen had like 30 or so such strands.

Is there any sort of method that makes this kind of modeling easier? Is there a trick to this I'm missing? Anyone have a video or anything of this type of hair modeling that'd make it at least easier to understand?

edit note : btw, I seriously apologize if someone provides a link in these forums for such a vid/tutorial. I spent about an hour looking for something of the sort and for the life of me, couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

mukiex
04-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Crap, they are done individually, aren't they? :

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/hair/index.html

gdimmrt
04-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah basically you model strips of hair like in the tutorial and map it with an opacity map to simulate the hair. This method is usually done in games. Not so in film animation where they prefer to use "real" hair.

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2006, 08:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.