PDA

View Full Version : render sequence and Mental Ray Satellite

Albo
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm testing the rendering of a sequence with Mr Satellite.

I launch the render from command line of master and i have 3 slave pc like renderfarm. The satellite is updated to the last vervion of Alias web site.
Very often the rendering stops without an appearing reason. On the Master pc the process "mayabatch.exe" is running, but the rendering is not procede.
The error always appears at different frame of the sequence. The render log (set to "Detailed Message" or "Warning Message") doesn't explain the reason.

Any idea for this problem? I will force to buy Mentalray Stand Alone for complete a render sequence without problems?

Thanks

Stucky
04-10-2006, 03:50 PM
There are still a lot of problems with satellite. Did you install everything right with MR Satellite?

MR Satellite only works with 8 processors, no more.

You have to check several other things, like opening the firewall ports in each computer, that satellite is using.

If you are using windows, with Windows Xp Pro, you can only have 5 machines accessing, for example, the same file or folder.

My advice is to search in CGTalk for some threads. This subjects had already been discussed before.

-S

Albo
04-10-2006, 04:42 PM
I have read all the posts, but i haven't find a solution.
The firewall is off. In my configuration all pc has 2 cps.
3pc slave * 2 cpu = total of 6 cpu for rendering in satellite.

The strange thing is that the render start but then at a random time it stops.

Stucky
04-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes I see. Many people had that same problem too. MR Satellite has a long way to do to be good. Perhaps you should try Muster, it is a render manager, and is pretty simple to setup. And you have a lot more control than with Satellite.

-S

Albo
04-11-2006, 02:29 PM
I use also Muster. If i render on my workstations (with maya Unlimited licensed) the aren't problems. But my aim is to render animations on all workstations and renderfarm without buy licenses of Mental Ray Stand Alone for the renderfarm.

So an other test. On my workstation I set the maya.rayhosts of Muster user to point to 3 pc of renderfarm. Then i launch the render via Muster on my workstation, and the rendering processing is divided on 4 pc. The render start, and all seems ok. But after a hundred of frames the render stops again. If i reinit the job, the render stops again but a different frame regarding before.

It seems that Maya Mr Satellite is unstable and not a problem of network or maya...

Stucky
04-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Yes dude. MR Satellite is very unstable. I Can't help you more..sorry dude...

-S

Albo
04-12-2006, 09:37 AM
thanks for all!

avinashlobo
04-13-2006, 08:20 AM
I've experienced bizarre network render crashes myself. It's hard to pinpoint the cause, but I've sometimes noted issues with file permissions. Sometimes the slave cannot write to the master image folder & the render aborts silently, so check the folder permissions.

Also make sure you don't fiddle with the raysatserver.exe process priority on the slave machines. It almost always causes the render to fail. If at all necessary, lower the priority of the mayabatch.exe process on the master so that you can perform other tasks while rendering.

Make sure your Windows user account has a password. This is one of the more bizarre solutions I've found to connectivity issues. In fact, sometimes I just need to access a folder on the slave machine via Windows Explorer before the render will work.

On the whole I've experienced pretty good stability with Satellite (and cross-platform too!) so thoroughly check your set up to make sure everything is as it should be.

Albo
04-19-2006, 03:09 PM
I have domain users , and I check all user permissions..
I have also change the switch of my network but no good news..

kimaldis
04-19-2006, 05:05 PM
I have domain users , and I check all user permissions..
I have also change the switch of my network but no good news..

remember that the satellites are running services and some service setups run under a local system account that has limited network permissions.

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2006, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.